2020 Season | Week 6 | Gameday Chatter | Cardinals at Cowboys | 10/18/2020

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
With a better OL maybe we're looking at 21-7 or 21-10, maybe, but it's not like the Cardinals strip sacked Dalton and took it back for a TD.
No, but with a good OL they'd at least sustain some drives and score some points. The defense would still be awful, but they'd control the ball better and score more than 10 points against an average defense.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we finish the season like 6-10 I really can't see McCarthy getting more than another year, 2021 would definitely be playoffs or he's fired.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
No, but with a good OL they'd at least sustain some drives and score some points. The defense would still be awful, but they'd control the ball better and score more than 10 points against an average defense.
If we're talking about the entire game, sure, but the offense only had 2 drives before the Elliott show began. We were driving on the 3rd drive and would've had 3rd and 5ish in Cardinals territory when Elliott fumbled, which made it 7-0, then he fumbled right away on the next drive, 14-0.

Could we have made it 14-3 or even 14-7 with our regular OL before the Kirk bomb made it 21-whatever? Maybe, but it still doesn't take away from the fact that the OL barely had anything to do with the ridiculous hole we were in 1.5 quarters into the game.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
If we're talking about the entire game, sure, but the offense only had 2 drives before the Elliott show began. We were driving on the 3rd drive and would've had 3rd and 5ish in Cardinals territory when Elliott fumbled, which made it 7-0, then he fumbled right away on the next drive, 14-0.

Could we have made it 14-3 or even 14-7 with our regular OL before the Kirk bomb made it 21-whatever? Maybe, but it still doesn't take away from the fact that the OL barely had anything to do with the ridiculous hole we were in 1.5 quarters into the game.

The OL had plenty of blame before the fumbles. Couldnt run block. Couldnt pass block.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Sounds like he's not ok with Mike (Nolan) at all. Good?

But he shouldn't be ok with the GM overpaying Lawrence and Jaylon, either.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The OL had plenty of blame before the fumbles. Couldnt run block. Couldnt pass block.
Sure, but it was 2 drives before it was 14-0, even with Dak and Tyron it's not like our offense was coming out and building early leads. I'm not saying the OL played well or isn't generally shit with all these guys missing, it's that even with our full complement of OL we would've still been down 14+ in the second quarter.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

The offense had what, 2 drives before the fumbles? Did we even get a first down?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Sounds like he's not ok with Mike (Nolan) at all. Good?

But he shouldn't be ok with the GM overpaying Lawrence and Jaylon, either.
I mean, the clear move is to fire Nolan, whether during the season or in the off-season, and have that be a warning to McCarthy that he's either going to put up or get out next season.

If we're still playing similarly in December and giving up 30+ a game with -2/3 TO differentials I'd personally be fine getting rid of McCarthy after the season but I know that's very unlikely.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's that even with our full complement of OL we would've still been down 14+ in the second quarter.
I'm not sure the game is 0-0 when the fumbles start. Also that first pass to Zeke that he fumbled was a desperation throw with Dalton surrounded by Dlineman.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The offense had what, 2 drives before the fumbles? Did we even get a first down?
I don't think so but that's not especially uncommon in the NFL, even if we had our full OL and managed to go up 7-0 on one of the first two drives that's not going to change Elliott's idiotic fumbling or the defense giving up 80 yard bombs and being unable to get off the field.

The OL is quite literally the last unit to blame for the 21-0 hole last night except for probably the WR's.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm not sure the game is 0-0 when the fumbles start. Also that first pass to Zeke that he fumbled was a desperation throw with Dalton surrounded by Dlineman.
Who cares?

Unless you think being up 7-0 would somehow magically keep Elliott from fumbling on innocuous tackles.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
When you make a special teams player look like the next Reggie White you have issues with the line.

BTW now we know why McGovern wasnt playing. God awful from the parts that I watched.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
DBs on practically every team in the NFL make plays like this...

or this...

or even this....

on practically a weekly basis. Yet turnovers for the loser Cowboys come around about as often as Haley's comet.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I have no clue why Worley is playing in front of Brown unless Brown still isn't 100%. Worley was a spare part brought in as depth to play in emergency situations, not to fucking start over the guy we just gave $5 million/year who has been a generally solid starting CB for about 3-4 years.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That comment is right up there with the loser comment that Wade Phillips made. I can't remember exactly what it was but the Cowboys had just lost in pretty embarrassing fashion, and fat Wade tried to put a positive spin on the performance but highlighting the one area of the game the Cowboys did well in.

Wade Phillips: "Yeah we lost by 3 scores at home be we outgained them on special teams."

I hate that I can't remember the real comment and circumstances.

Top Bottom