2020 Season | Week 3 | Gameday Chatter | Cowboys at Seahawks | 9/27/2020

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Fair enough.

Maybe it's just human nature to think of the failures, but I can recall quite a few instances over the last 2 seasons where Dak was given the ball last and we were losing and he didn't get it done.

At New Orleans, vs Minnesota, at New England, at Philly, at Rams, at Seattle.

That's 6 games in the last 2 seasons where we were losing and Dak had a chance to get the final score but couldn't.

That's just too many failures for my liking.
Well I cant remember too many of those games at the moment. I do remember the Minnesota and I believe the consensus was on the play calling in the drive. Much like yesterdays game. I do think Dak isnt going to improvise and thats probably an issue. I think he runs what is called.

I think there are enough warts to worry about, though. I think his long throw accuracy bothers me more. I know a lot of times they still catch it but he almost never hits them in stride. They seem to always have to turn or lunge back.

shane

DCC 4Life
I might a little more objective than most because the Garrett tenure damaged my fanhood so badly that I'm not emotionally invested anymore... but I really feel like this team is fine. The Rams and Hawks are probably two of the best teams in the NFC, so losing close games to them isn't that bad. Losing to Atlanta would've been a disaster, but at least they managed to win that one no matter how ugly.

The truth is, this division is easily the worst in football, so the Cowboys will make the playoffs. Only question is can they get these things ironed out by December, and I think they will. This offense is going to be crazy good once the OL is patched up a bit. And I think the defense will at least be okay. There are some decent signs, really. Diggs is going to be very good, the corners will be back, and obviously Aldon is showing what a real pass rusher looks like. Maybe LVE's exploding neck will even return.
Yeah the loss is a bitter pill to swallow but I think being able to figure shit out as the season goes along because of the weak division is going to help the coaching staff. If we can get to 10-6 and hit the playoffs healthy with all the kinks ironed out , we will be a dangerous team.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Maybe if the media/social media pisses him off enough asking why Aldon Smith, who has literally been on the street (living actually in the streets) for like 5 years, is outperforming him so thoroughly, it'll light something in him.
if I were Lawrence, I would be embarrassed by the success Smith is having. It’s stunning in comparison

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I might a little more objective than most because the Garrett tenure damaged my fanhood so badly that I'm not emotionally invested anymore... but I really feel like this team is fine. The Rams and Hawks are probably two of the best teams in the NFC, so losing close games to them isn't that bad. Losing to Atlanta would've been a disaster, but at least they managed to win that one no matter how ugly.

The truth is, this division is easily the worst in football, so the Cowboys will make the playoffs. Only question is can they get these things ironed out by December, and I think they will. This offense is going to be crazy good once the OL is patched up a bit. And I think the defense will at least be okay. There are some decent signs, really. Diggs is going to be very good, the corners will be back, and obviously Aldon is showing what a real pass rusher looks like. Maybe LVE's exploding neck will even return.
I admire your optimism.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
if I were Lawrence, I would be embarrassed by the success Smith is having. It’s stunning in comparison
Aldon Smith is simply a far more talented and better player than Lawrence. Smith was right there with JJ Watt his second year. Lawrence has never been on that level.

But then I've never been as high on Lawrence as many here. He's sort of second-tier good. I think he might have looked better than he was because we haven't had a great passrusher since Ware.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Aldon Smith is simply a far more talented and better player than Lawrence. Smith was right there with JJ Watt his second year. Lawrence has never been on that level.

But then I've never been as high on Lawrence as many here. He's sort of second-tier good. I think he might have looked better than he was because we haven't had a great passrusher since Ware.
He certainly saved his best for when it mattered most. And he's cashed it in since he cashed in.

Two of the most overpaid disappointments this team has - Lawrence and Crawford - have been the beneficiaries of screwups elsewhere.

They've both gotten paid because of screwups with:
  • choosing Randy Gregory over Danielle Hunter (or pretty much anyone else)
  • thinking Greg Hardy could keep it together
  • drafting Taco Charlton over TJ Watt
If any of those other things worked out, we likely never pay Lawrence in the first place, and we likely don't keep overpaying Crawford to do nothing either.

p1_

DCC 4Life
He certainly saved his best for when it mattered most. And he's cashed it in since he cashed in.

Two of the most overpaid disappointments this team has - Lawrence and Crawford - have been the beneficiaries of screwups elsewhere.

They've both gotten paid because of screwups with:
  • choosing Randy Gregory over Danielle Hunter (or pretty much anyone else)
  • thinking Greg Hardy could keep it together
  • drafting Taco Charlton over TJ Watt
If any of those other things worked out, we likely never pay Lawrence in the first place, and we likely don't keep overpaying Crawford to do nothing either.
Crawford has been invisible, surprise.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah I would have liked to see that last pffensive posession ran totally differently. Not sure if it is play calling or what. But you gashed Seattle with your recievers all day long. You can't get so conservative in a critical moment like that last drive. Use the middle of the field but get yards. Don't dump shit off to Zeke. Honestly Zeke shouldn't have even been on the field. Pollard is more explosive.
I think the reason Dak or someone went the conservative route on the last possession is a coaching philosophy that on a last drive with a limited clock , defenses align for the prohibition of the long deep pass so you can get a lot of underneath completions and manage the clock in accordance to the remaining time. Theoretically you can move the ball within field goal range and take the shot as a final play. What happened yesterday was the Seahawk defense removed the last play option but pressing the passer before the normal remaining time frame rather than dropping back before the last play option became available and shot down the passers ability to execute. It was a coaching blunder on the Dallas staff.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah I would have liked to see that last pffensive posession ran totally differently. Not sure if it is play calling or what. But you gashed Seattle with your recievers all day long. You can't get so conservative in a critical moment like that last drive. Use the middle of the field but get yards. Don't dump shit off to Zeke. Honestly Zeke shouldn't have even been on the field. Pollard is more explosive.
He threw a couple passes on that last drive that made me question his sanity. He was checking down to Zeke or Cedrick Wilson or someone over the middle with like 30 seconds left and 1 timeout, still 40 yards away. I was screaming at the TV, "WHY ARE YOU THROWING THAT PASS?!"

If completed it was gonna get like 6 yards and there was a defender right there.

Luckily it was dropped anyway.

Unluckily we didn't finish the job because protection broke down.

Not that I had a great feeling anyway after we let up the 2 point conversion (or, Seattle was gifted it). If we had been driving for the win it would sting more. I feel like even if we tie there we probably lose, what with the refs in Seattle's pocket.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Agreed.

The playcalling and time management on both of those game-ending drives have left me scratching my head.

But Dak isn't blameless in those drives coming up short. There was a pass late in the drive yesterday that was dropped by Wilson that if caught, probably ends the game right there.

In that situation, you shouldn't even be throwing that pass there. You have to be smarter and you have to recognize the situation your are in and know that the LAST thing you can do is throw a 3 yard pass that does nothing for you and basically takes off 15-20 seconds from the clock.

There's a lot of work that needs to be done by the staff and Dak himself on these 2 min drives because right now, it's bad.

I can't believe it's still this poor and Garrett is gone.

I am very disappointed in this coaching staff as they have played a significant role in all of the teams mistakes and shortcomings in all 3 games so far.
I just referenced that in my last post - I thought we had a timeout, but yes. I was like, he has no awareness of the situation if he's throwing that pass. That pass being caught would have killed us, or made it nearly impossible.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He can bring them back, but I'm talking about being behind and having the ball last and getting them into the endzone.

How many times has that happened?

I'm genuinely curious because it doesn't feel like many.
I feel like Romo was way better at that last second drive producing TDs or points.

Dak has comebacks on his resume but I bet comparatively few are last second TD drives.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I feel like Romo was way better at that last second drive producing TDs or points.

Dak has comebacks on his resume but I bet comparatively few are last second TD drives.
I think its a case of Dak following the game plan and Romo improvised more.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I'm not placated by "this is the worst division in football so we still are likely to win it," argument.

That doesn't help in the playoffs where we will meet the Rams and Seahawks again. Are divisional round exits acceptable simply cause it's not Garrett now? We are being measured against the "final 8" caliber teams so far and we are coming up lacking, conclusively.

I do agree, it's easy to panic right now, but we have to remember that this is a new staff with a severely truncated offseason to get the team ready. On the other side, we are seeing a lot of the hallmarks of why McCarthy ultimately was shown the door in Green Bay, so those tendencies clearly had time to get implemented, because they are completely counter to what Garrett stood for (at least the Linehan era and after). No ball control, losing the turnover battle, bad running game, pass happy all day.

I do feel like we will a) fix some things as the season goes on, b) get healthier (hopefully), and c) probably still win our share of games.

But man this is frustrating right now. Doesn't seem like the team is improved on paper from say, 2014, 2016 or 2018.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It said 4th quarter game winning drives. I take that as meaning they were behind and he led them back and had the last TD. Does it really matter if there was no time on the clock or 2 mins?
It matters depending on what you are measuring.

There is a difference between doing it with 4 minutes left when you can hand the ball off, etc, and string out a normal drive, albeit under crunch time pressure.

Where I think Ace is saying Prescott seems to fall short is in the two minute offense, or the sub-2 minute offense. I don't have a lot to compare to other than my anecdotal memory of Romo but it sure seems like Romo more often delivered crunch time TDs with under a minute on the clock, comparatively to Prescott.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Fair enough.

Maybe it's just human nature to think of the failures, but I can recall quite a few instances over the last 2 seasons where Dak was given the ball last and we were losing and he didn't get it done.

At New Orleans, vs Minnesota, at New England, at Philly, at Rams, at Seattle.

That's 6 games in the last 2 seasons where we were losing and Dak had a chance to get the final score but couldn't.

That's just too many failures for my liking.
I think there's something to that.

I always felt like with Romo, a minute and a half with 70 yards to go for the win, was a toss up.

With Prescott I feel like its an uphill climb.

Top Bottom