Jason Hatcher
Anthony Spencer
Demarcus Ware
Sean Lee
Terence Newman
Orlando Scandrick
Marcus Spears
Dan Bailey

And that's leaving off some decent players like Sensabaugh, and James.

Let's not pretend they didn't have talent, or that there is some big huge disparity in talent between 2011 and 2020.

That 2011 team probably should have made the playoffs. There was enough talent there.
Not only should 2011 have made the playoffs, they should have done so comfortably.

That was an 11 win team had they not choked away the opener vs the Jets, then had the meltdown vs the Lions a few weeks later, then the excruciating loss to the Giants at home with a 11 point lead with 5 min to play.

All 3 of those games should have been wins.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
A defense that doesn't allow 40 a game would be a huge start.

But I have zero idea how to accomplish that. We are not talent bereft on that side of the ball.

Lawrence is a good player. Griffen is a good player. Poe is adequate. Crawford, Hill, Armstrong, etc, might be quiet players, but they should at least be decent in run defense. Jaylon is underwhelming, but he's not a liability. Joe Thomas is very serviceable as a backup LB and is playing ok. Woods, Awuzie, Lewis, Brown, and Diggs should be enough at DB that you aren't getting roasted. Worley is a decent depth back. Again, we are not talking about Nate Jones and Jacques Reeves level liabilities.

I don't know why this team is so bad on defense.
I agree with all of that, so the coaching needs to be better.

As I alluded to earlier, players on every level of the defense seem to be fooled multiple times each game and some of that has to fall to the coaches.

That 4th and 3 that Seattle converted on their last drive? Every guy did his part except Joe Thomas. He inexplicably goes for the man to the flat when he's already covered leaving the middle all alone for Greg Olsen to convert the easy 1st down.

Every week it's multiple guys leaving someone all alone to make an easy catch. So are all these guys mush for brains or are they not being coached properly?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Along with another $8 million of cap space they'll never get back.

Approximately $20 million wasted on him overall for the past two years.

It's not a small issue.
Something about spilling the milk or such.

Thats all this year and from what Ive seen he is off the books after the season.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Well so much for adjustments. They would have done exactly what theyve always done. March an ineffective turd out there regardless.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
And I think ultimately we are gonna look back and say Romo at his best of times, had that final gear and could flirt with Rodgers/Brees/Brady territory, and Prescott cannot.

Not that he's a bad QB. He's certainly come a long, long way from when I used to argue 2 years ago that he couldn't consistently move the ball down the field through the air.

But I still hold him in lesser esteem than prime Romo.

And Romo was never anything close to the highest paid QB in the league, I don't think.
Probably so, yea, although I think Prescott with a surrounding cast might be better suited to going all the way because he's way less mistake prone than Romo was until 2014.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm not placated by "this is the worst division in football so we still are likely to win it," argument.

That doesn't help in the playoffs where we will meet the Rams and Seahawks again. Are divisional round exits acceptable simply cause it's not Garrett now? We are being measured against the "final 8" caliber teams so far and we are coming up lacking, conclusively.

I do agree, it's easy to panic right now, but we have to remember that this is a new staff with a severely truncated offseason to get the team ready. On the other side, we are seeing a lot of the hallmarks of why McCarthy ultimately was shown the door in Green Bay, so those tendencies clearly had time to get implemented, because they are completely counter to what Garrett stood for (at least the Linehan era and after). No ball control, losing the turnover battle, bad running game, pass happy all day.

I do feel like we will a) fix some things as the season goes on, b) get healthier (hopefully), and c) probably still win our share of games.

But man this is frustrating right now. Doesn't seem like the team is improved on paper from say, 2014, 2016 or 2018.
Making the playoffs doesn't placate me, the only reason I'm looking forward to it is because it puts McCarthy even more squarely in the crosshairs. If we're still bumbling around in December/January it's going to look real bad.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There's no reason this guy should be returning punts, he doesn't even look especially dynamic doing it. Maybe if you want to throw him back there when teams are punting from inside their own 10, fine, but there's no reason he should be our long-term punt returner.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Something about spilling the milk or such.
Or ignorance being bliss or some such thing.

Thats all this year and from what Ive seen he is off the books after the season.
It's still $8 million wasted this year. $8 million that could have been better used, or saved to roll over into a tight 2021 cap year.

p1_

DCC 4Life
There's no reason this guy should be returning punts, he doesn't even look especially dynamic doing it. Maybe if you want to throw him back there when teams are punting from inside their own 10, fine, but there's no reason he should be our long-term punt returner.
Dez looked a lot better actually

Top Bottom