2020 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Just re-read your Romo response. You misread what I wrote.

I said Romo would probably make this list if he won a Super Bowl AND had another NFFC appearance under his belt.

I don't think a single NFCC appearance would be enough.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Romo is the franchise leader in all the major passing categories that's why I think a single super bowl and NFCC appearance would probably place him on this list.

As for Ware, I think he's a victim of not playing on a winning team, which is my biggest point. If you swap out Charles Haley and insert Ware onto those 90s Cowboys teams and Ware got 2 or 3 rings with those Cowboys, I don't think anyone would really bat an eye with him being placed above Aikman.
That's almost definitely true as far as Ware but you can't re-write history, it's not totally fair but it is what it is. If you put Romo on the Saints, Ravens or Steelers I think he'd have at least a Super Bowl, if not 2 or even 3, and would be a lock HOF'er, but he wasn't so he isn't.

I don't like using "winning" as a way to elevate players way above where they should be, like I wouldn't put Eli on the level of Rodgers because he won 2 Super Bowls, but it's inevitably going to be a major deciding factor once players get to a certain level.

For example, I think most would agree that Rodgers and Elway are both generational type of QB's, but at this point I'd give Elway the nod based on the 2 Super Bowls, not to mention the ones he got to and lost.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
For example, I think most would agree that Rodgers and Elway are both generational type of QB's, but at this point I'd give Elway the nod based on the 2 Super Bowls, not to mention the ones he got to and lost.
Elway carried his team to three superbowls before they realized you have to be physical up front and run the football. He was easily the most talented QB on the field for most of the 1980’s.

When they got TD in 1997 it put them over the top, and then that crazy zone blocking scheme in 1998 made them unstoppable.

data

Forbes #1
What’s this list’s definition of greatest?

Is it solely greatest at their respective position? Is it mixed with contributions to the Cowboys brand?

Earlier in the year, we sort of divided these up and established that Bob Lilly and Larry Allen are most publicly accepted as being the highest rank all-time at their position (Top 3), but can you say Larry Allen is greater than Roger Staubach, whose considered Top 7ish.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't really have a problem with the list even though I mostly disagree with it. These things are subjective anyway. It's not like they have Jaques Reeves up there or something.

data

Forbes #1
I don't really have a problem with the list even though I mostly disagree with it. These things are subjective anyway. It's not like they have Jaques Reeves up there or something.
most interesting aspect of this list is I’d like an explanation of why Chuck Howley is there before the other lifetime Cowboys HOFers like Bob Hayes, Renfro, Rayfield Wright.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
most interesting aspect of this list is I’d like an explanation of why Chuck Howley is there before the other lifetime Cowboys HOFers like Bob Hayes, Renfro, Rayfield Wright.
I noticed that too. Howley even started his career with the Bears. At least they resisted putting Deion on the list.

Genghis Khan

That's fair, but at the same time you could make a strong case for Howley in the HOF.

data

Forbes #1
That's fair, but at the same time you could make a strong case for Howley in the HOF.
that’s fair, but I’d still want an explanation for why Howley over those HoFers as well as others with HOF strong case - Drew Pearson, Darren Woodson, Harvey Martin, Jason Witten.

I’m not saying Howley doesn’t deserve it over those players, but out of the stiffest competition for slot #10, why Howley

Genghis Khan

that’s fair, but I’d still want an explanation for why Howley over those HoFers as well as others with HOF strong case - Drew Pearson, Darren Woodson, Harvey Martin, Jason Witten.

I’m not saying Howley doesn’t deserve it over those players, but out of the stiffest competition for slot #10, why Howley
Amongst all those guys I'm not sure there's a wrong answer.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It's a stop 10, dickheads. Not a top 25.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yea but Aikman didn't win one Super Bowl, he won three, in 4 years at that.

If he won them under some flukey circumstances like Eli did, as a bus driver who floundered around for the rest of his career, that'd be one thing, but a QB winning 3 Super Bowls in 4 years is no fluke and that alone elevates him above only a handful of the most elite players the organization has ever had.

Ware was an excellent player, and he was probably more elite relative to his position than Aikman was, but at the end of the day he was the QB of 3 Super Bowl teams in 4 years and he wasn't Trent Dilfer-ing his way to those titles. There's no way you can put an elite player with an otherwise mostly forgettable career (as a Cowboy) above that on an all-time list of Cowboys.

I also disagree about Romo, perhaps if he had won a Super Bowl, but definitely not if he just made an NFCC appearance. If that were the case you might as well throw Danny White on the list.
The team Aikman played with won 3 Super Bowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom