2020 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
They interviewed Judge the same day McCarthy signed with Dallas. I doubt they were going back to Mike even if Judge bombed. Mike is a "win now" guy, and that ain't the Giants. Bad fit.
Awful lot of speculation in that assumption.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Honestly at this point it's like the Cowboys are just too proud to concede and do a 4 year deal. It's like they don't want to look like failures. But seriously, who cares about the difference between 33 mil for four years or 35. 33 would make us all feel warm and fuzzy but 2 mil a year extra gets you a backup scrub in the NFL.

That's the wrong way to look at it. If we make 3 or 4 smart deals, then that is, conceivably, another difference maker we can sign, or another one of our own we can resign more easily.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Yeah, but I don't think that's what he was saying.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding the debate.
All I'm saying is that the higher you draft a QB, the better your chances of winning a championship. That's what recent history tells us. If Dak pulls it off, he will be an anomoly.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
All I'm saying is that the higher you draft a QB, the better your chances of winning a championship. That's what recent history tells us. If Dak pulls it off, he will be an anomoly.
Sure, but that is due to the fact that drafting a QB higher nets you a better chance of getting, say, a top 10 or top 15 QB.

The Cowboys may have gambled and defied this trend, but the gamble already occurred and the Cowboys already won. They already have a top-10 or top-15 QB or however you want to qualify Prescott. Moving forward Dak has just as much of a chance if not a better chance to win than say, Kirk Cousins, who was drafted ahead of him.

I'm as concerned as anyone, but your argument only has relevance for pointing out "The Cowboys already beat the odds once, and chances are against them beating the odds again by overpaying Prescott."

For sure, to that.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Another historical hurdle is McCarthy winning a title with two different teams, which has yet to be done.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure, but that is due to the fact that drafting a QB higher nets you a better chance of getting, say, a top 10 or top 15 QB.

The Cowboys may have gambled and defied this trend, but the gamble already occurred and the Cowboys already won. They already have a top-10 or top-15 QB or however you want to qualify Prescott. Moving forward Dak has just as much of a chance if not a better chance to win than say, Kirk Cousins, who was drafted ahead of him.

I'm as concerned as anyone, but your argument only has relevance for pointing out "The Cowboys already beat the odds once, and chances are against them beating the odds again by overpaying Prescott."

For sure, to that.
Yeah the relevance is only if you're replacing Dak I wouldn't be looking anywhere but the top guys.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another historical hurdle is McCarthy winning a title with two different teams, which has yet to be done.
I don't think that's a big hurdle at all. It just shows how hard it is for a coach to win the Superbowl. Coaches have gone to the Superbowl with two teams before. They just haven't won both times. And most great coaches don't switch teams.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I don't think that's a big hurdle at all. It just shows how hard it is for a coach to win the Superbowl. Coaches have gone to the Superbowl with two teams before. They just haven't won both times. And most great coaches don't switch teams.
If its never been done before, it's a hurdle. You're asking him to pull off what Shula, Holmgren, Vermeil, Reeves, Fox, Reid and Parcells couldn't.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
In addition, how many coaches who went to other teams came to teams that were as talented as when they had won before. Theoretically, this team is top 5-10 in talent especially on offense. His chances are better than most in his circumstance.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
In addition, how many coaches who went to other teams came to teams that were as talented as when they had won before. Theoretically, this team is top 5-10 in talent especially on offense. His chances are better than most in his circumstance.
Yep, generally when a SB winning coach comes to a new team it's because that team is rebuilding and need the boost of an elite coach. That is not the situation here. We have a talented team. It was just tainted by shit coaching.

data

Forbes #1
Aside from Jamarcus Russell and Mitch Trubisky, who were the most ridiculously overdrafted 1st round QB selections:
  • Rex Grossman #22
  • Jake Locker #8
  • Tebow #25
  • Brandon Weeden #22
  • EJ Manuel #16
  • JP Losman #22
  • Christian Ponder #12
Even though they busted, Manziel and Brady Quinn were legit 1st rounders, Vince Young was a legit Top 10, Blaine Gabbert Josh Rosen were legit Top 15, etc

Last edited:

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Aside from Jamarcus Russell and Mitch Trubisky, who were the most ridiculously overdrafted 1st round QB selections:
  • Rex Grossman #22
  • Jake Locker #8
  • Tebow #25
  • Brandon Weeden #22
  • EJ Manuel #16
  • JP Losman #22
  • Christian Ponder #12
Even though they busted, Manziel was a legit mid 1st rounder, Vince Young was a legit Top 10, Blaine Gabbert Top 15, etc
Russell and Trubisky were thought of as first rounders, though. Even high first rounders. Are we talking over drafted, or just first round busts? Because then that would include Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, Todd Marinovich, etc...

data

Forbes #1
Yep, generally when a SB winning coach comes to a new team it's because that team is rebuilding and need the boost of an elite coach. That is not the situation here. We have a talented team. It was just tainted by shit coaching.
Not that Dungy was a shitty coach, but Gruden got the Bucs over the hump.

Steve Kerr for the Warriors over a respectable Mark Jackson.

Kubiak over Del Rio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom