2020 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
There's no contradiction. Film lied about Harper
Harper was never the #1 target in Dallas, and played with way better talent around him to take pressure off. At every position on offense. When he moved to the Bucs, he was then the focal point of their offense. He was what in Dallas? Maybe the 4th option behind Irvin, Emmitt and Novacek?

But other than that, great point.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Would you want him to?

I want him to let Dak play one year under McCarthy before committing that amount of money.

The last time out, they wanted Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook and 'settled' for Prescott.
Serendipity at its finest. Didn't Jerry call Romo a "miracle"?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He was running out of options. I think Cleveland would have given him a hard look.
I think Cleveland, NY and Dallas were all in play. He also could have sat out another year if he didn't like his options. I think he preferred Dallas and he said as much. I also think he wanted to coach Dak and I don't believe he would've taken this job, considering we're pretty tied to Dak and don't have a particularly good chance at a different top QB prospect in the next year or two, if he felt like he needed a year to evaluate Dak.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Harper was never the #1 target in Dallas, and played with way better talent around him to take pressure off. At every position on offense. When he moved to the Bucs, he was then the focal point of their offense. He was what in Dallas? Maybe the 4th option behind Irvin, Emmitt and Novacek?

But other than that, great point.
Doesn't say much for the Bucs' front office then, does it? I mean, they had to notice everything that you just pointed out. Sorry, but moving to #1 doesn't explain such a massive dropoff in production.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I think Cleveland, NY and Dallas were all in play. He also could have sat out another year if he didn't like his options. I think he preferred Dallas and he said as much. I also think he wanted to coach Dak and I don't believe he would've taken this job, considering we're pretty tied to Dak and don't have a particularly good chance at a different top QB prospect in the next year or two, if he felt like he needed a year to evaluate Dak.
The Giants had McCarthy scheduled for a second interview. Numerous reports said Giants freaked when we sgned him right away so they moved fast on Judge

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I think Cleveland, NY and Dallas were all in play.
It's a bad sign when a team lets you leave the building after an interview. They clearly weren't scared of losing him to another team. And McCarthy publicly gushed about Daniel Jones.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Doesn't say much for the Bucs' front office then, does it? I mean, they had to notice everything that you just pointed out. Sorry, but moving to #1 doesn't explain such a massive dropoff in production.
So, we're supposed to care about what was at the time, a perpetual loser in the NFL does? Maybe them signing Harper to a big contract to be the man was just another example of WHY they were a shitty team for so long.

And yeah... Moving from a complimentary piece on a winner to being the focal point of a shitty team would kind of explain it.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
So, we're supposed to care about what was at the time, a perpetual loser in the NFL does? Maybe them signing Harper to a big contract to be the man was just another example of WHY they were a shitty team for so long.
Harper, like Albert Haynesworth, was a legitimately good player. Some players take the money and stop trying. Film can't measure a guy's heart.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Harper, like Albert Haynesworth, was a legitimately good player. Some players take the money and stop trying. Film can't measure a guy's heart.
Oh. So now it's heart.

You keep moving the goal posts so many times it's hard to keep up.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I heard that Judge blew them away in the interview and moved on from Mike.
We had already signed McCarthy before they hired Judge....

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't think you really understand the difference between statistics and causation. Under your theory if we had drafted Dak in the first round instead of the fourth it would make it more likely we win a Superbowl, that's not true at all.
I think he meant the higher you draft a QB, the better your chances that the QB pans out.

Which I think is almost certainly borne out by example.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think he meant the higher you draft a QB, the better your chances that the QB pans out.

Which I think is almost certainly borne out by example.
Initially, yes. But we are discussing Dak Prescott here, who already has 4 years of tape. This argument would hold water if it was still his first year, or maybe even his second. He's going into his 5th now. His draft position no longer holds any bearing, as he is an NFL veteran looking for his second contract.

If you compared rookie Dak Prescott to rookie Mitchell Trubisky side by side before either of them played, yeah. The vast majority of experts and fans alike would say that the chances of Trubisky having the more successful career would be far greater. But now that they both have a few seasons behind them, how many do you think would still say that? And that is what myself, Crock and others are arguing.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
We had already signed McCarthy before they hired Judge....
They interviewed Judge the same day McCarthy signed with Dallas. I doubt they were going back to Mike even if Judge bombed. Mike is a "win now" guy, and that ain't the Giants. Bad fit.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The better your chances of winning a championship, which I believe is Jerry's goal at his advanced age.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't know. Salaries are getting so crazy every year it's hard to get a handle on it.

I don't think he deserves to be the highest in the league, no. But even if we pay him that, by the time we get a few years into the contract, he'll probably be around the 10th highest paid. It's ridiculous.
Yeah, but if we pay him 5th highest salary in the league, in a few years he'll probably be around 20th highest paid. The scale slides. Any player who becomes the highest paid player in the league eventually is no longer the highest paid player in the league.

The argument that "Well, if Dak becomes the highest paid player in the league, he'll eventually get surpassed," is not a good one. Dak's contract will not be a better overall value as it decreases in percentage cap hit, because it will always stand in contrast to someone like, say, Jared Goff, who was never made the highest paid QB or player in the NFL, and that contract would always be better.

I hate this trend that whenever you feel like you have a long term QB (or really, any player - look at DeMarcus Lawrence for example), you have to always break the market on that player and pay him like he's one of the best 3 to ever play at his position. And then the following year, two more Free Agents at his position set the market again.

I don't bother getting worked up over salaries. Nothing I can do about it. Do I wish he'd take a team friendly deal? Sure. That'd be great. But I also understand these guys trying to get every last dime they can get, while they can get it.
Sure, but at some point, it would be nice if a player - especially one like Prescott who is good but not transcendent - would realize he is best equipped to thrive by taking only $25m a year instead of $40m a year and letting the team keep 3 other guys.

We let a guy like Randall Cobb walk in free agency precisely because we are worried about giving him $9m a year, but at $6m a year we probably keep him. We have to pinch pennies because we know this Prescott contract is looming. We got lucky and landed Lamb in the draft, but the point is, we say "Well this Prescott contract won't hurt us," - and it probably doesn't mean we lose anyone we TRULY want to keep, but you never know, it very well may be the difference in keeping a guy like Cobb versus losing him. And if we hadn't lucked out in the draft we'd be rolling Cedric Wilson or Noah Brown as our 3rd WR this year.

Prescott squeezing us means other guys will not be here. Are they make or break players? I dunno, but for certainty, we will lose guys we'd like to keep.

Brady and the Pats have had tremendous luck/foresight. Belichick knew when to tell his Demarcus Lawrence equivalents to pound sand, and Brady also took about 20-30% under market value. This has helped them tremendously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom