2018 Senior Bowl Stuff...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, it is a meat market that is not televised.

Most of these are based off how they look in their underwear. Abnormal height/weight, hand size, wing span etc. can make a "winner" or "loser". If a player comes off much different from what they are listed by their school, it can impact them negatively or positively, depending on the situation.

You can go to a couple of the actual sites that show the listings.
Yeah I'm looking at it now. For example Wadley I'm sure is because he came in about 10 pounds too light. He needs to be closer to 198 and he came in at 188.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
but you shouldn't have to "guess." schools are perfectly capable of dispelling this mystery, but they choose to lie instead. is Mayfield's self-esteem so brittle that they can't post his true height?
Speaking of which, did he miss the weigh in or something? He is the only player at the Senior Bowl whose measurements are blank. I know his agent this morning came out and said he isn't sure if he will play much if at all in the actual game but that he is going to practice this week.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Speaking of which, did he miss the weigh in or something? He is the only player at the Senior Bowl whose measurements are blank. I know his agent this morning came out and said he isn't sure if he will play much if at all in the actual game but that he is going to practice this week.
beats me. instead of clean urine, he's probably looking for a ringer to take the height test for him

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Family emergency supposedly, will be at practice and measurements will be provided later.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
North practice is about to start on NFL Netowrk. I missed the South Practice earlier because of court but luckily I'm back in the office watching the North practice on my computer.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This happens far too often. I wish the NCAA would crack down on false stats. I mean, they don't know how to operate a tape measure on college campuses? Aside from weight, there shouldn't be a big discrepancy between the school's media guide and measurements at the combine.
I don’t even understand the logic to false stats. I can understand high school students trying to impress a college but that’s about it. It would be easy to enforce a rule because a crew of about 50 people with a tape and scale could verify about every college in about 3 months.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
A lot of snark today on Twitter about Mayfield finessing the system with the Senior Bowl, like he was going to skip after arriving late due to a family issue.

And there he is. On the field not long after getting off the plane.

I am not saying it was not perhaps orchestrated, but he has some serious moxie.

He is growing on me. Like he was what I thought Manziel was.

D

Deuce

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Must be a chemistry thing. We have been told for a year, he is a top QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish they would stop fucking jumping around and actually let us watch this shit on NFL Network.

Did see that Gallup kid drop one that hit him right in the gut from Allen.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Family emergency supposedly, will be at practice and measurements will be provided later.
He must have been on his family yacht and lost track of time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Baker Mayfield shines brightest on Senior Bowl Day 1

Print
By Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks NFL.com
Published: Jan. 23, 2018 at 07:34 p.m. Updated: Jan. 23, 2018 at 07:59 p.m. 0 Likes | 0 Comments
Read Discuss

MOBILE, Ala. -- Editor's note: NFL.com analysts and former NFL scouts Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks of the Move The Sticks Podcast share some of their scouting notes from Day 1 of the Reese's Senior Bowl practice.

NFL Network will have live coverage of Reese's Senior Bowl practices beginning at 1 p.m. ET on Wednesday and Thursday, as well as exclusive coverage of the game on Jan. 27 at 2:30 p.m. ET.

1. Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield continues to show people that when it comes to timing, touch and anticipation, he has all the stuff. That's where he separates himself from other QBs. He hit a couple skinny posts where he threw the ball well before the receiver broke and the pass was right on the money.

He was the last Senior Bowl participant to arrive here in Mobile, getting into town on Tuesday afternoon before heading over to practice, and he showed once again that he's a gamer. His competitiveness shines in settings like this one.

The big thing to watch with Mayfield will continue to be what he does off the field. Can he convince people that he be the CEO of the program? Interviews with NFL teams will be a big deal for him this week. -- Bucky Brooks

2. Iowa State WR Allen Lazard caught my eye. I like the way he snatched the ball in traffic. He has a great combination of height, weight and speed, which could make him a very intriguing prospect for NFL teams looking to add another weapon to the passing game. -- Bucky Brooks

3. Dubuque CB Michael Joseph is a player to get to know. He was excellent on Tuesday. The Senior Bowl is a huge opportunity for players like Joseph, who are coming from the lower ranks, to show they can compete against top talent, and he took full advantage of that chance. He played the deep ball well, and did a nice job covering Miami WR Braxton Berrios underneath. I haven't studied Joseph on tape yet, so I'm looking forward to watching him. -- Daniel Jeremiah

4. Two interior D-linemen from the North squad jumped out to me on Tuesday. Nathan Shepherd from Fort Hays State was outstanding in one-on-ones. He had some clean wins. He's explosive. Stanford's Harrison Phillips wants to show everyone down here that he's more athletic than he's given credit for, and he's off to a fine start in that regard.

5. Will Hernandez, the guard from UTEP, had a really good day. He's a strong, physical guy who's built for the run game, and that's where he excels. I was pleasantly surprised with how well he held up in pass protection, though. He's in the mix to be a Day 2 pick (Rounds 2-3) and he certainly didn't hurt himself on Tuesday. -- Daniel Jeremiah

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I am now officially rooting for the kid.
I hope he fails miserably. But, more likely he gets drafted by the Browns and his dad intervenes and uses his "influence" to get him traded.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So how does everyone feel about Poona Ford in the middle rounds. Seems like a really good NT prospect except for his lack of height. But it reminds me of the old school NT's who are super strong and big but they are squaty 6'1" guys. He is even shorter than that. Any Texas fans with an opinion on the run stuffer?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope he fails miserably. But, more likely he gets drafted by the Browns and his dad intervenes and uses his "influence" to get him traded.
He is a fun guy to watch and very polarizing. I hope he does well. But I think at worst he is Rex Grossman in the NFL. I have to say, I like the gun slinger in him. My concern is that at Oklahoma he had a ton of time to throw and always seemed to be throwing to guys wide open. I'll be curious to see how he transitions to the NFL where those two things won't always be there. The Bronco's would be a great fit for him though.

Top Bottom