2018 Senior Bowl Stuff...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
11 observations from Senior Bowl Day 1
John Harris

Day 1 of the Senior Bowl is a hectic, crazy and wild day, but the best part of it all is when the players get out on the Ladd-Peebles Stadium turf and compete. We were able to see the South team practice today, so all of my observations are from that 90 minute workout. I’ll be able to see both practices tomorrow, so I can let you know how QBs Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen look up close and personal. Deal? Cool. Here are my handful of observations from the workout.

1. I’m going to start with Humboldt State, well, a player from Humboldt State. Now if you’re not sure where that is, you’re not alone. It’s a Division II school in Arcata, CA, and it has gifted the Senior Bowl a young offensive tackle by the name of Alex Cappa. I watched a couple of Cappa’s games near the end of the season and all I could think of was WWE. Yes, wrestling. It looked like he wanted to choke slam nearly every single defensive player he faced. Every single one. I remember thinking, “Well, that won’t happen at the Senior Bowl.” The players were not in full pads today, but that didn’t matter, as Cappa brought his angry game to Mobile. He matched up with outside linebacker Marcus Davenport from UTSA, perhaps the highest-ranked prospect heading into the game, in a run drill, and did nearly the same thing to Davenport that he did to those poor Division II defenders.

2. I thought big-time pass rushers would be a tough test for him, but Cappa stood right up to USC star rusher Uchenna Nwosu on a rep that I saw during pass rush one-on-ones. Of course, off the field, he has a smile bigger than Mobile, but on the field, whoa.

3. UCF outside linebacker Shaquem Griffin is a blur. One pass rush rep, he literally ran right around an offensive tackle, got clear of him in a blink, planted his outside foot and took a beeline right to the quarterback. Later, he tried to throw a spin move from the right side back inside and nearly got home. As I said earlier this week, I don’t know where he plays on a consistent position; heck, he might be position-less for all I care. That dude can ball the you-know-what out.

4. Clemson interior lineman Taylor Hearn is an intriguing guard prospect with his power. He’ll strike you, and I saw that during that inside run blocking drill against Alabama defensive end DaShawn Hand.

5. Let me just say this as well about football playing dudes - Clemson’s Dorian O’Daniel. Total dude. Like Griffin, he’s not huge, but there isn’t a linebacker responsibility that he can’t complete. Cover tight ends like a glove as I saw him do today? Check. Pop the pads? Check. Run like the wind? Check.

6. Auburn safety Tray Matthews will knock anyone into next week. On an outside run, he popped LSU running back Darrel Williams right in the earhole and then told him all about it as they both ran back to the huddle. That’s his strength, now he has to prove that he can cover just as well to find a spot at safety in the NFL.

7. Southern Mississippi running back Ito Smith is pocket dynamite. In five years at the Senior Bowl, I have never seen a run during inside run drill pop for a clean touchdown as it did today when Smith took one to the house. Burst, quicks, whew, that guy is a handful. He’s only 5-9, so some teams may not be interested, but wow, he can scoot.

8. San Diego State fullback Nick Bawden runs well for a large individual. I watched him during running back drills and he’s, shall we say, acceptable, if that’s the right way of saying it. But, he’s going to get paid to mash some linebackers. I saw him sift through the trash to find a South linebacker during an inside run drill and introduce himself with authority. In fact, a couple of plays later, in a similar matchup that same linebacker tried to slip the block and Bawden caught him in the chops again.

9. Texas defensive lineman Poona Ford is one of the strongest pound-for-pound players on the defensive line. Watching most of the interior players try to move him off the ball is almost comical.

10. There’s a lot of hype around UTSA star defensive end Marcus Davenport and it’s warranted. But, the word is raw. The finished product with years of development and progress is going to be a wonderful one. You can see the assets and the tools, but you can also see him trying to figure out how to use them all effectively. I think tomorrow will be a great day for him.

11. I didn’t spend much time watching the wide receivers and defensive backs, but when I did, it was clear that Oklahoma State star WR James Washington was today’s dude. He measured just under 5-11 at weigh-ins, but he has glue sticks for hands and can run by any defensive back in Mobile (and those not here). He has to polish up his route running, but there’s a lot to like about Washington as a future pro.

That’s about it for now. I’ll have a ton more tomorrow and, of course, observations from the North practice as well. See ya then.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Scouting The Senior Bowl: Evaluating Mayfield, Shaquem Griffin, WRs, More
Tuesday, January 23, 2018 8:20 PM CST

MOBILE, Ala. – Senior Bowl week practices are underway here in Mobile as the Cowboys continue their pre-draft evaluations. Here are my initial observations from Day 1 of workouts: Read

Impressed with what I saw from James Washington (WR, Oklahoma State) when it came to catching the ball in traffic. The majority of his catches were made with a defender on him. Strong body and hands. Where he had his problems was when he had to separate in-route. Tried a double move on Danny Johnson (CB, Southern University) and he wasn’t able to get away. The question about him is not going to be about his hands, but whether he can develop as a route runner.

The more I watch Shaquem Griffin (LB, Central Florida) the more I want him on my team. His ability to attack the corner has made it tough on these South Team offensive linemen to block him. I knew his quickness was outstanding on tape, but watching him live – it’s actually rare. He’s on the blocker so quickly, and due to his body type, he gives them no hitting surface. He makes it hard to get hands on him.

No question that Josh Allen (QB, Wyoming) has a strong arm. The question I have is, does he know where the ball is going? Even against air, Allen had trouble completing passes, and it only got worse as he moved on to other drills. During team drills, there were several snaps where he had the opportunity to hit some open in-breaking routes, but the ball was way over the receiver’s head.

Didn’t know much about Danny Johnson (CB, Southern University) and at 5-9, 182, he wasn’t a high priority for me. Now it appears he needs to be studied. He might not have the skill of some of the other smaller corners in the draft, but I was impressed with his movement. He wasn’t shy about playing routes and contested the ball. There were two snaps where he drove on a slant to knock the ball away and another time where he was in great position to handle the out.

Today’s practice was the first time I've seen Marcus Davenport (DE, University of Texas-San Antonio) with his hand on the ground. He didn’t look as comfortable playing that way as he does from a two-point stance when it came to rushing the passer. They tried him some at tackle and that was a bad fit. Where he did look comfortable was playing the run. He had a couple of snaps where he was able to come off the ball, extend his hands and control the blocker. This is where his strength is noticeable.

Rough practice for J'Mon Moore (WR, Missouri) catching the ball. Not all those passes were perfect, but in my opinion they were catchable. It appeared the harder he tried, the more difficult it was for him to make a play. Might have been some nerves in the opening practice. Hopefully things will improve for him Wednesday.

Really liked what I saw from Uchenna Nwosu (LB, USC) in this opening practice. Like Shaquem Griffin, he was difficult to block coming off the edge. There is a suddenness to his game and it all stems from his first step. He explodes off the ball and is on the blocker before he has a chance to react. Once he gets that shoulder, he is able to really bend and sharpen his angle to the quarterback at the proper depth.

Michael Gallup (WR, Colorado State) is a smooth route runner. I like the way he’s able to win off the line and get into his route. Gallup’s best physical trait is his hands. He has no problem catching the ball on the move.

The best pass rusher on the North squad is Ogbonnia Okoronkwo (DE, Oklahoma). With these guys it’s all about that first step, and he has it. I believe that the Cowboys will project him to play as a SAM linebacker and nickel rusher. He’s relentless in the way he attacks the pocket and gets to the quarterback. One of his rushes forced Tanner Lee (QB, Nebraska) into an interception.

Keep on eye this week on Kyzir White (S, West Virginia). At 6-2, 216, he’s built like a strong safety but has the movement skills of a free safety. He had a nice interception on a read off the hash where Luke Falk (QB, Washington State) never saw him.

Brian O’Neill (OT, Pittsburgh) generally lines up on the left side, but the Broncos’ coaches have him playing right tackle. I like him better on his natural side, but I didn’t think he was terrible over on the right. His game is all about balance, and there was a snap or two where it appeared he was going to be beat but managed to recover to keep the rusher off the quarterback. Film had shown that he struggles at times with power, but that was not the case in this first practice. O’Neill is currently ranked as my second-best tackle behind Mike McGlinchey (Notre Dame).

I’m happy to see Baker Mayfield (QB, Oklahoma) here working with these pro coaches. Nothing against his college coaches, but this Denver staff will get him started learning about the things that he will need to work on while getting ready for the draft. Teams are going to want to see him play under center some and evaluate how his footwork translates there. This first practice was a learning experience because there were some struggles, but it was a real step in the right direction, which would have never happened unless he made the decision to participate this week.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best QBs, NFL draft risers, more from Day 1 at Senior Bowl

8:01 PM CT
ESPN NFL draft experts
Facebook

Practices are underway at the 2018 Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, where quarterbacks Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield are the main attraction on rosters full of NFL draft talent. Allen and the rest of the top senior NFL draft prospects were poked, prodded, measured and weighed Tuesday morning, but Mayfield's arrival was delayed, and he got to Mobile in time for the North team practice in the afternoon.

Now that both teams have practiced, our team of NFL draft experts -- Todd McShay, Matt Bowen and Steve Muench -- are breaking down how the best prospects fared, which under-the-radar prospects are rising, and more. Here's their recap of Day 1.

How each quarterback fared on Day 1
Let's start with the two headliners, then hit the other six signal-callers in Mobile:

Josh Allen, Wyoming
Team: North | Uniform number: 17 | Overall QB ranking: 3

Two areas Allen has been working on with quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan are footwork on drops, especially getting more efficient and into a balanced position at the top of the drop, and consistency of his follow through. I thought Allen had a mixed day overall (he said after practice he had some "easy misses"), and that mirrored what he has shown on tape. When he has a one-dimensional throw -- where he has to throw to a spot -- he has elite life on the ball and is deadly accurate. But he struggles sometimes on touch throws, and there are times he doesn't need the fastball.

Still, he threw one laser on a 25-yard comeback that had people laughing because of how absurd a throw it was. He has elite arm talent. I'll be interested to see if he gets in a better rhythm over the next couple of days. -- McShay

Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
Team: North | Uniform number: 6 | Overall QB ranking: 4

Mayfield always brings a circus, but I'm not sure that it's always his fault. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it's simply Baker and his personality. With that said, it wasn't a great start to the day for Mayfield in Mobile, after he had a family matter come up and missed the measurements, while the media saw Allen look like the prototype of what teams want in an NFL QB (6-5, 237 pounds, 10 1/8-inch hands). As for Mayfield, we still don't have an official high or hand span. That will be important.

As for on the practice field, Mayfield was paired with Allen several times during one-on-one and 7-on-7s, and I thought he was trying to put a little extra velocity on some throws to match Allen. His accuracy suffered as a result. Still, he settled in and was the best quarterback in the team session, throwing two first downs on back-to-back throws, including a dart to Colorado State's Michael Gallup in between two defenders. He had a slow start but strong finish. -- McShay

Baker Mayfield won the Heisman Trophy in 2017 after throwing for 43 touchdown passes with only six interceptions. Photo by Glenn Andrews/USA TODAY Sports

Luke Falk, Washington State
Team: North | Uniform number: 3 | Overall QB ranking: 7

Falk was the most consistent quarterback on either team Tuesday. Everyone to whom I've spoken says he's a smart kid and picks up things quickly. He seemed in control and confident throughout practice, compared to the other signal-callers. I thought he threw the most catchable ball, consistently getting the right trajectory and making it look easier than the other guys. It certainly seems as if he's going to benefit from the platform this week. -- McShay

Kyle Lauletta, Richmond
Team: South | Uniform number: 5 | Overall QB ranking: 8

A good day overall. Lauletta has adequate arm strength, but a little of a funky delivery, pushing the ball out. Of the South quarterbacks, I thought he had the most consistent ball placement. He understands his progressions and made fast reads, with good touch, and he showed good feel for the offense. One thing to watch was that sometimes it appeared he wanted to see the wide receiver get out of a break before throwing it. Lauletta is an intriguing Day 3 prospect. -- McShay

Kurt Benkert, Virginia
Team: South | Uniform number: 6 | Overall QB ranking: 9

I've heard Benkert has been a very impressive interview, and I was excited to see him in person Tuesday. Like all these QBs, there was some inconsistency but also some impressive moments. He made some good throws with timing, especially on outbreaking routes. He did drop a shotgun snap and appeared uncomfortable at times what he was doing pre-snap work. -- McShay

Mike White, Western Kentucky
Team: South | Uniform number: 14 | Overall QB ranking: 10

White had a tough first day, although it was clear he has a strong arm, and he did make some nice throws. His issue was consistency, as he underthrew a deep ball and was high on a deep out, among others. He also dropped a snap and had two center-QB exchange issues. He comes from a shotgun system at Western Kentucky, so it will be a process. -- McShay

Brandon Silvers, Troy
Team: South | Uniform number: 12 | Overall QB ranking: 11

Silvers has a live arm and got better as practice wore on. I thought he had a good day overall. There was one middle-in cut that he drove well and put in a perfect spot. One thing I saw, which also showed up on tape, is some anxiety in the pocket if he has to hold the ball longer than he wants. Creating and extending plays isn't instinctive to him yet. -- McShay

Tanner Lee, Nebraska
Team: North | Uniform number: 13 | Overall QB ranking: 13

With 37 interceptions to 46 touchdown passes in his college career at Tulane and Nebraska, turnovers have been an issue -- and they were again Tuesday. Poor decision-making under pressure during the team session led to a pick. He did flash some good deep balls with touch as well. This is a good opportunity for him the next couple of days. -- McShay

Draft risers from Day 1
These are the under-the-radar prospects who had a strong day of practice and whose college tape deserves closer inspection:

DaeSean Hamilton, WR, Penn State
Team: North | Uniform number: 5

Hamilton (6-1, 202 pounds) doesn't show great burst on tape, raising concerns about his ability to separate in the NFL. But he's an above-average route runner who did an excellent job using his hands and quick feet to get off the line, plus he showed the ability to win with his hands when corners tried to get physical with him. He looks natural catching the ball and has good length (32 5/8-inch arms) for his frame. He did have a few drops in one-on-ones, however. -- Muench

Isaiah Wynn, G, Georgia
Team: South | Uniform number: 77

After starting 15 games at left tackle in 2017, Wynn kicked inside to left guard at the Senior Bowl, and it's a position he has played before. That's where he projects best in the NFL considering his arms (33 1/8-inch) are on the shorter side. While he's not huge at 308 pounds, he looks quick and athletic getting into position and climbing up to the second level. He matched up well against former Alabama DT Da'Shawn Hand during team and one-on-ones. -- Muench

Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State
Team: North | Uniform number: 84

Gallup looked like a natural pass-catcher early, and extended for a Mayfield pass down the seam during team drills even though he knew he'd get lit up. At 6-1, 198 pounds, Gallup flashed a solid release and good speed. He got behind Dubuque cornerback Michael Joseph on one pass, but the ball was underthrown. -- Muench

Chad Thomas, DE, Miami (Fla.)
Team: North | Uniform number: 90

The 6-5, 277-pound Thomas is a big and long defensive end who put on a show and displayed powerful hands during one-on-ones. He beat Pitt OT Brian O'Neill with a quick inside move and used a spin move to get Army OT Brett Toth before pushing Toth aside. Thomas also showcased his versatility by kicking inside and beating Virginia Tech OG Wyatt Teller with another quick inside move. It's an important start for a player whose tape doesn't always match his ability. -- Muench

Tre' Williams, ILB, Auburn
Team: South | Uniform number: 30

Williams didn't wow in any one area, but he checked all the boxes at the weigh-in by coming in at 6-2, 238 pounds with 32 1/2-inch arms. He caught everyone's attention when he stepped up, met San Diego State RB Rashaad Penny in the hole, jarred the ball loose and recovered the fumble. A shoulder injury sidelined Williams for three games and hindered him for most of the 2017 season, so his medial evaluation is critical. -- Muench

Best of the rest
Here are the prospects who flashed on Day 1, starting with a pass-rusher who was included in the first round of Mel Kiper's Mock Draft 1.0:

Marcus Davenport, DE, Texas San Antonio
Team: South | Uniform number: 93

Davenport flashed his power during individual drills and one-on-one pass rush. Yes, he is still raw, and his pad level needs to drop against the run to maximize his potential. I saw that during the inside run period. But as an edge rusher with that long, 6-6, 259-pound frame? We are talking about natural strength here. The ability is there to create a pop on contact, bench press offensive tackles and fold up the pocket. I can understand why pro scouts are focused on Davenport this week. This is a small-school prospect with a ridiculously high ceiling. -- Bowen

Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State
Team: North | Uniform number: 88

With a smooth gait and body control at the top of the break, Gesicki looked like a polished route runner during practice. That allowed him to stem the safety within the route and gain leverage at the point of attack. Plus, with the ability to catch the ball outside of his frame, Gesicki (6-5, 242) has the skill set of a "move" tight end who can win on middle-of-the-field throws. Run the seam, dig route, shake a linebacker on an option route or separate on a crosser. And use that size to shield defenders from the ball. With his skill set, Gesicki can remove from the formation as a weapon in the slot or to the backside of the formations. And that gives NFL offenses the ability to create matchups. -- Bowen

Mike Gesicki caught 57 passes for 563 yards with nine touchdowns in 2017. AP Photo/Butch Dill

James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State
Team: South | Uniform number: 28

After checking out tape on Washington, I wanted to see him work against press coverage and showcase enough lateral speed to shake defensive backs. Even with the highlight reel of deep ball shots he put together versus Big 12 defenses, beating press and separating are key to getting the rock in the pros. And I did see some positives from Washington (5-10, 210) during one-on-ones on Tuesday. A quick move at the line and go -- then stack on top. That allowed Washington to separate on a couple of deep-ball opportunities, and he also displayed solid foot speed during change-of-direction work in individual drills. This is a big week for Washington in both one-on-one and team periods to showcase his grasp of the route tree and the technique necessary to slip tight coverage. -- Bowen

M.J. Stewart, CB North Carolina
Team: South | Uniform number: 26

Stewart had one of the best days in the secondary on Tuesday because he challenged routes. That's the first thing I look for at the Senior Bowl workouts. Give me the defensive backs who compete. With the skill set and physicality to play both inside and outside the numbers, Stewart was aggressive in press coverage. That allowed him to get hands on wide receivers at the line and stick to the hip throughout the route. Plus, Stewart (5-11, 198) showed the ability to anticipate the break. That's why he was in a position to drive on the throw. Sink the hips and finish the play. That's good football. -- Bowen

Shaquem Griffin, LB, UCF
Team: South | Uniform number: 18

Griffin is undersized (6-0, 223), and everyone knows his backstory of only having one hand. But Griffin came in and smoked North Carolina A&T offensive tackle Brandon Parker in 1-on-1s with straight speed off the edge. Griffin was disruptive in the run game, too, and he plays with tremendous effort. He has a chance as a late-round pick. -- McShay

Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona State
Team: North | Uniform number: 27

Ballage flashed some legit lateral quickness for a big back with downhill ability between the tackles. I'm talking about that extra wiggle to skate past defenders or find an open lane during team drills. Along with the burst he displayed on an edge run top dip outside of the defensive contain, Ballage (6-2, 222) really surprised me during one-on-one pass routes against linebackers. He understands how to set up defenders on option routes, and his footwork was smooth. Chop the feet, give a little shake and then burst outside to separate to the ball. Ballage came to Mobile to compete. No doubt. -- Bowen

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]2018 Senior Bowl: Day One[/h]
Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Josh Norris, Rotoworld

Day one of the Senior Bowl is always a blur, and the event continues to shift the schedule on us each year. It starts with the weigh-ins at 7:30 am, followed by media interviews and we close out with practices back to back. Full pads aren’t put on until tomorrow, so I’ll have more detailed practice notes in the next few days. With that said, below are interview bits plus notes.

Thank you for the support.

UCF LB Shaquem Griffin

Where do you expect to play in the NFL?: “I think this week will really prove where I will play at the next level. Good thing I’m playing so many positions this week, so they can choose where they want to have me at. I’m feeling to be from the defensive line to the defensive backs, pretty much every position on the field.” Talked about recognizing route combos based on receiver alignment: inside or outside the hash, inside or outside the numbers. Preached patience. Mentioned the Memphis game where he was asked to play coverage, channeling his brother.

On the final two minutes against Auburn, still having the stamina to play despite being on the field for all 90 defensive snaps: I’m passionate about proving people wrong… I mean they said we couldn’t get it done. We had to win. Once you tell our team they can’t do something, we work as hard as we can to get the job done… And I can’t see an “L” on our whole schedule, if you want to take a look.”

South Dakota State TE Dallas Goedert

What life was like coming from a town of 1,500 residents?: Took up unicycling at 10-12 years old. Aunts used to ride in parades. It’s like riding a bike. Grandfather would give $50 to whichever grandchild would learn to unicycle first. Hunter, hiker, outdoorsman. Balance.

Western Michigan CB Darius Phillips

Where do your ball skills come from?: Me being a former receiver really gives me a great advantage in attacking the football. The conversation with coach Fleck to move from receiver to corner was hard at first. Happened after redshirt freshman season. Tested the position form winter conditioning to spring practice and “grew to love it.”

How are you so successful as a kick returner?: We switch up the return scheme every week. Coach scouts the kickoff team, puts the scheme in and we try to perfect it. Returned kicks since 9th grade.

What do coaches think of your “gambling” tendencies?: They try to reel me in a little bit. My old coach gave me more leeway, but the current coach tried to reel me in.

Did you like that? Do you want to gamble?: (Smirks) I love to gamble. It’s a risk versus a reward. I get what they are saying, too.

New Mexico State WR Jaleel Scott

On his acrobatic catches: I do those things during practice, just to play around. When I have to, and I mean when I have to, I pull out the bag of tricks… I don’t do it too often.

So we will see you doing these in pregame warmups like Odell?: “Oh no, I’m definitely not Odell. I’ll let Odell have that. I’m trying to get on his level.”

Practice Notes

- Typically the OLB designation at all star games means prospects spend 75% of their time off the ball, and occasionally walk down and participate in one round of one on one pass rushing drills. For the Texans, they are treating the OLB tag as it fits their team, so players like Marquis Haynes and Shaquem Griffin, among others, are seeing more time rushing the passer and on the line of scrimmage than expected. Both are obviously comfortable there, but I was looking forward to seeing Griffin off the ball. I believe that is his future.

- That might also mean the DE designation won’t play a true outside technique, and we saw that with Da’Shawn Hand and Marcus Davenport today, lining up as a 4i on a few occasions. Both have played in similar spots, but I know many are anxious to see Davenport as a true edge player. Just something to monitor, not jumping to any conclusions.

- Every year I try to find a defensive tackle flying under the radar during the all-star circuit. Justin Ellis, Grady Jarrett, Javon Hargrave. This year’s is Nathan Shepherd from Fort Hayes State. We are going deep. First, he let out a war call following his weigh-in, stepping on the scale at 6-foot-4 and 310 pounds. Then he produces a great practice, occupying multiple blockers and resetting the line of scrimmage. Look out for his name the rest of this week.

- The offensive line might be the best position group this week. Big schoolers like Isaiah Wynn and Brian O’Neill, mid-level program prospects like Colby Gossett and Will Hernandez and finally the small schoolers, like Alex Cappa from Humboldt.

- West Georgia T Desmond Harrison showed up at 279 pounds. I checked in and was told he had the flu all of last week, dropping 10-ish pounds. He plans to be in the 290s during Combine week.

- TEs Dallas Goedert and Adam Breneman are out with injuries. Darius Phillips picked up a knock that hobbled him for most of practice.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those curious Baker Mayfield ended up being 6' and 3/8

So basically his height is a hair under 6'1", pretty much as expected.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[MENTION=14]NoDak[/MENTION]

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

He is going to do whatever it takes to make it.

D

Deuce

He is going to do whatever it takes to make it.
That’s my guy. There was also a video from practice yesterday of him abusing some schlub with his speed pass rush.

He still doesnt have a Combine invite yet, but the list isn’t official so I’d be surprised he doesn’t end up with one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s my guy. There was also a video from practice yesterday of him abusing some schlub with his speed pass rush.

He still doesnt have a Combine invite yet, but the list isn’t official so I’d be surprised he doesn’t end up with one.
Yeah he looks really quick and fast as a pass rusher. Obviously he won't be able to do it regularly in the NFL but he definitely looks capable of being a blitzing 4-3 LBer to me. Honestly I'm starting to like the idea of using like a fourth round pick on the guy to be a WLBer in our defense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Scouting The Senior Bowl: Linebackers, Running Backs Who Shined On Day 2
Wednesday, January 24, 2018 5:38 PM CST

By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

@BryanBroaddus

MOBILE, Ala. – Two days into Senior Bowl week, we’re gradually gaining a better understanding of the prospects on the North and South squads. Here are my observations from watching Day 2 of practice here in Mobile: Read

DaeSean Hamilton (WR, Penn State) had another nice day running routes. He is one of the few receivers on the North squad who has consistently found ways to get open and finish. His body control and balance has been outstanding. The closer he gets to the sideline, the more that he has shown the ability to work in tight spaces. I have been impressed with how natural his hands have been.

Was expecting more for Armani Watts (S, Texas A&M) from a coverage aspect, but it just wasn’t there today. There were a couple of different snaps where Mike Gesicki (TE, Penn State) turned him around badly where he was in no position to even recover. I was hopeful to see him have more success in this area, but it just hasn’t been the case. I believe that Dane Brugler has described Watts the best by calling him a ‘sometimes player.’ That appears to be true.

Had some folks before the Senior Bowl tell me to take a look at Akrum Wadley (RB, Iowa) as a prospect. I have to say that I have been impressed with what I’ve seen so far. Wadley has the traits of a complete back. He has shown the ability to take the ball either inside or out with effectiveness. He’s a nice combination of quickness and power with the ball in his hands. I’ve been very impressed with his running style. Most of the time his runs to and through the hole have been before the defense has had a chance to react.

Sure do like the way that Isaac Yiadom (CB, Boston College) gets his eyes around when playing the ball down the field. There are too many times where you study these college players and they don’t help themselves by finding the ball. Yiadom has made his fair share of plays during 1-on-1 and team periods just by playing this way.

If you’re looking for a downhill linebacker, Mike McCray (Michigan) would appear to be that guy. Really liked the way that he flowed, then attacked the line of scrimmage to finish the play. At 6-1, 241, he is well built and more than stout enough to handle the workload. I need to see on his college tape whether he can cover to be a three-down player.

Guy that caught my eye today during the North practice was Nick DeLuca (LB, North Dakota State). DeLuca had a nice read and react interception during 7-on-7 out of a zone drop and came back later in the practice with a tackle for loss on a toss sweep where he made the play from the inside/out with range. Like McCray, DeLuca as some size at 6-3, 243, along with similar movement skills.

Brandon Parker (OT, North Carolina A&T) had some nice reps in 1-on-1 adjusting to various rushers. Liked his ability to carry his man wide, then smoothly adjust back to the inside off movement. His balance and body position was right where it needed to be to successfully execute his block. Parker is a long, rangy blocker at 6-7, 303, and he lined up at both tackle spots. I like him as a guy that could potentially be a down-the-line swing tackle.

Ian Thomas (TE, Indiana) is growing on me as a prospect. His college coaches used him as more of a “H” back than a true inline guy. The Texans coaches are doing the same thing with him, which is playing to his strength. He is a “loose” player when it comes to his movement skills and you see it as a route runner. He has also been productive on the edge, where they’ve used him in pass protection staying in. He done a nice job of blocking defensive ends.

I don’t know if he was guessing the snap count or he was really that good coming off the ball, but Andrew Brown (DT, Virginia) was impressive. Brown lined up at both tackle spots and was difficult to handle when he hit the gap, no matter where he lined up.

I could see someone falling in love with Darrel Williams (RB, LSU). He’s big enough to handle the load (5-11, 229) as an every-down runner if you wanted to go that route. But where I could see a team using him is as a sub back. His ability to physically run the ball is outstanding, but catching it is his real strength. LSU is a program I watch quite a bit, and they didn’t use him nearly enough in that role. During the practice, I lost track of how many times he made receptions, both easy and difficult, in the field or in the red zone.

Justin Jones (DT, North Carolina A&T) doesn’t have many pass rush moves, but he has tremendous upper body strength. I saw twice where he walked his man right back into the quarterback easily. I was waiting for one of the blockers just to try and sit down on him but it never happened. He was just too overpowering to handle.

Tyler Conklin (TE, Central Michigan) had a nice day catching the ball. When the ball went his direction, I didn’t see it hit the ground. The reason I believe he had so much success was his route running. He didn’t have to make any contested catches due to the fact that he was so open. He really did a nice job of getting in and out of his breaks without any wasted motion. As a route runner, he doesn’t labor at all to finish the play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best QBs, NFL draft risers, more from Day 2 at Senior Bowl
8:01 PM CT
ESPN NFL draft experts

NFL draft prospects at the 2018 Senior Bowl on Wednesday in Mobile, Alabama, went through their second practice of the week, and it was the first -- and only -- day in full pads. It was the best day for NFL scouts and front-office execs to get a closer look at some of the best prospects for April's draft.

Our team of NFL draft experts -- Todd McShay, Matt Bowen and Steve Muench -- are breaking down how the best prospects fared, which under-the-radar prospects are rising and more. Here's their recap of Day 2.

Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
Team: North | Uniform number: 6 | Overall QB ranking: 4

Mayfield's instincts really stood out to me today. He's naturally gifted in that department, and 46 college starts have helped him sharpen the tool. Specifically, I thought Mayfield was identifying coverages quickly and anticipating throws. His two rail shots down the right and left sideline during 7-on-7 drills were prime examples. The second one -- down the left sideline -- was especially impressive because he knew the wind was directly into his face, and he adjusted the trajectory of his throw to help the ball cut through it.

The other thing that stood out to me was Baker's taking mental reps while another quarterback was taking the real reps. While standing slightly off to the side and about 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage, Baker went through the entire pre- and post-snap process as if he were under center. When you're 6 feet tall and don't have an elite arm, you have to be better at the little things. It's what makes guys such as Drew Brees and Russell Wilson great.

Finally, I thought Mayfield's energy and charisma came out today in team drills as well. He's clearly getting settled in after absorbing a ton of new information on Tuesday. Wednesday was a good day for Baker. -- McShay

Josh Allen, Wyoming
Team: North | Uniform number: 17 | Overall QB ranking: 3

Like Mayfield, Allen got better as the practice went along. He continues to have ups and downs with accuracy, though, and it seemed like he might have been pressing in individual drills against Mayfield. He has been late a couple times with where he wants to go or has hung onto the ball too long, which I've seen on tape as well. Still, I thought he settled into a groove in team drills and made the most positive throws. Once again, his arm strength is a clear asset in windy conditions. -- McShay

Luke Falk, Washington State
Team: North | Uniform number: 3 | Overall QB ranking: 7

I'd contend that he has been the most consistent quarterback here. He's playing faster than other signal-callers and seems really relaxed on the practice field. He made a nice pump-fake on a rollout to his left, which got the defender in the air and allowed an easy completion. Like Mayfield, he does the little things well, and the talk of how fast Falk picks things up is showing up on the field. He throws a really catchable ball. It was another good day for him. -- McShay

Baker Mayfield had a good day of practice at the Senior Bowl on Tuesday, completing several passes during team drills. Photo by Glenn Andrews/USA TODAY Sports

Kyle Lauletta, Richmond
Team: South | Uniform number: 5 | Overall QB ranking: 8

He's clearly comfortable in the pocket and showed that again Wednesday in a red zone drill. He stood in there with the pocket collapsing from both sides and led his receiver on a slant for a touchdown. He has a good mental clock, and you see him gaining confidence. While he has only average mobility, there is enough to keep you intrigued. I still think he can push for a roster spot as a late pick. -- McShay

Kurt Benkert, Virginia
Team: South | Uniform number: 6 | Overall QB ranking: 9

It was an up-and-down day for Benkert. He has been the hardest quarterback to figure out because when things are right and he knows where he wants to go with the ball, he has been good. But he's also been very inconsistent. I thought he showed the least improvement from Day 1 to Day 2 and took some chances on throws that were unwarranted. -- McShay

Mike White, Western Kentucky
Team: South | Uniform number: 14 | Overall QB ranking: 10

White might have had the best day of the QBs, making some eye-opening throws. He had to ask the center who the middle linebacker was on a play, but you never know exactly what college quarterbacks are taught, so I'm less concerned with that. I thought he flashed a lot of potential on Wednesday. -- McShay

Brandon Silvers, Troy
Team: South | Uniform number: 12 | Overall QB ranking: 11

Even though Silvers made a couple of mistakes, he seemed more confident on Day 2. I liked that he was very coachable, incorporating things Bill O'Brien told him and using them in the next rep. When you're a potential Day 3 QB pick, it's important to show that you take coaching, digest it and use it. Teams that like Silvers' upside will notice that. -- McShay

Tanner Lee, Nebraska
Team: North | Uniform number: 13 | Overall QB ranking: 13

With an interception in team drills, Lee had another tough day. That said, he had a few more throws on Wednesday in which I could see why people were speaking so highly of him. He has flashed enough here to be considered a late-round selection. -- McShay

Draft risers from Day 2

These are the under-the-radar prospects who had a strong day of practice and whose college tape deserves closer inspection:

Jordan Akins, TE, UCF
Team: South | Uniform number: 88

Akins, a former minor league outfielder, is a big target who has a wide catching radius and solid ball skills. He showed good body control adjusting to a pass thrown behind him early and a low pass thrown behind him later in team drills. He's a smooth route runner who did a nice job of slipping the outside linebacker as he released and pushing the inside linebacker inside on the corner route he ran for a touchdown. -- Muench

Levi Wallace, CB, Alabama
Team: South | Uniform number: 39

At 176 pounds, Wallace is lean, and he's going to be pushed around at times unless he fills out his frame. That said, he has excellent length (33 3/8-inch arms), and he did a great job of reaching in with his left hand to break up a pass intended for Missouri wide receiver J'Mon Moore. Plus, Wallace flashed the ability to blanket receivers underneath because of his balance and ability to read the receiver. He might have been overshadowed in a secondary filled with star players at Alabama, but the former walk-on is standing out in Mobile. -- Muench

Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State
Team: North | Uniform number: 59

Lewis is at his best when he lines up on the outside on early downs and kicks inside to rush the passer on passing downs. He had a strong day going up against the North interior offensive linemen in one-on-ones. He beat Virginia Tech guard Wyatt Teller, UCLA center Scott Quessenberry and Washington State guard Cole Madison, thanks to his ability to win with his hands. He does a nice job of working back inside when the quarterback starts to step up, and he's chasing with good effort. Like Wallace at Alabama, Lewis was surrounded by talent at Ohio State and is now making good use of the opportunity to show teams what he can do. -- Muench

Justin Jones, DT, NC State
Team: North | Uniform number: 27

There isn't a lot of nuance to Jones' game. While he flashed a decent spin move, his strength is his greatest asset, and he overwhelmed Madison with a bull rush during one-on-ones. He battled 340-pound UTEP guard Will Hernandez on consecutive reps. Jones also got good push in the run game and did a good job of getting down the line for a 311-pound tackle. -- Muench

Jamil Demby, OT, Maine
Team: North | Uniform number: 65

There were some downs for Demby. He lunged and whiffed when he kicked inside to right guard and faced off against NC State defensive tackle B.J. Hill, and he was beaten to the inside by Rutgers defensive end Kemoko Turay during team drills. However, the FCS offensive lineman is showing that he can compete at this level. He shot inside and rode to the ground Wisconsin outside linebacker Garret Dooley, who was caught leaning. Demby also did a nice job of pushing Oklahoma outside linebacker Obo Okoronkwo past the quarterback during team drills and one-on-ones. -- Muench

Best of the rest
Here are the prospects who flashed on Day 2, including two pass-rushers on different teams:

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB, Oklahoma
Team: North | Uniform number: 31

We already know that Okoronkwo can come off the ball. He has great burst -- and effort -- off the edge. Okoronkwo finishes every drill at full speed and tracks down the ball in team periods. But after Tuesday's practice session, I wanted to see more from Okoronkwo in one-on-one pass rush. That's what we got on Day 2. Okoronkwo flashed a deeper set of pass-rush moves at the point of attack. He utilized his length (34 1/4-inch arms) to separate from blockers and also showcased his quickness on a spin move to open up an inside path to the quarterback. Those are similar traits that made Dwight Freeney a dominant NFL pass-rusher. Given Okoronkwo's measurements (6-foot-1, 243 pounds), he isn't a perfect fit as an NFL edge rusher. I get it. But with the speed, continued development on counter moves and motor with which he plays, Okoronkwo could carve out a role on defense as a rookie and really impact special teams as a cover guy on kickoffs. -- Bowen

Marcus Davenport, DE, Texas San Antonio
Team: South | Uniform number: 93

Through the two most important practices of the week, Davenport has declared himself. He's the best player here. Long and explosive with a quick get-off, he can threaten offensive tackles with both speed and power. He was also able to advance the pass rush, even when an offensive lineman won initial leverage, which is what separates the great pass-rushers from the good ones. I watched his Baylor tape on Tuesday night, and he must've played 70 plays but was still making tackles for loss in the fourth quarter. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being a top-15 pick. -- McShay

DaeSean Hamilton had 2,842 receiving yards and 18 touchdowns in four seasons at Penn State. AP Photo/Butch Dill

DaeSean Hamilton, WR, Penn State
Team: North | Uniform number: 5

Hamilton stood out Wednesday because he continued to create separation as a route runner in both one-on-ones and team periods. He got open all day. I'm looking at the out cuts, inside breaking routes and quick game. Hamilton (6-foot-1, 202 pounds) has a smooth gait when he drives off the ball, and there is some wiggle in hips to set up defensive backs at the break point. Sink at the top of the route, and generate speed to pull away from the coverage. And then do it again. We will need to get a 40 time on Hamilton during the pre-draft process, but he showed the necessary game speed with that route-running skill set. It was an impressive day for the Penn State product. -- Bowen

Armani Watts, S, Texas A&M
Team: North | Uniform number: 23

Watts has a smaller frame (5-foot-10, 191 pounds), but I liked his tape coming into this week's practice sessions in Mobile. He has some versatility to his game, and the speed and range are there to make plays over the top of the defense. Watts had an interception in Wednesday's practice and looked fluid in drills. He can transition from the deep middle of the field and play off the numbers as a two-high safety. He's athletic with good closing speed. Plus, Watts showed us that he can get nasty in the run front during third-down team period. Rolled down in the box, Watts dropped the hammer on Iowa running back Akrum Wadley. Fill the hole. Make good contact. And that's going to pop on practice film. -- Bowen

Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana
Team: North | Uniform number: 23

Penn State's Mike Gesicki is the highest-rated tight end in Mobile, but don't sleep on Thomas. The Indiana product has a thick frame (6-foot-3, 256 pounds), and he flashed his movement skills on Wednesday. Working against linebackers and safeties in coverage, Thomas used his athleticism to match up on middle-of-the-field routes. The footwork is there to run pivot and option routes. Thomas is quick to gain inside leverage with his hands, and I see enough speed to threaten defenses vertically on seam or corner routes. He didn't have a ton of production at Indiana -- only 28 career catches -- but I was impressed with his ability to run the inside route tree and gain the separation needed to give his quarterback a clean target. Good day of work for Thomas. -- Bowen

Kyzir White, S, West Virginia
Team: North | Uniform number: 28

At 6-foot-2, 216 pounds, White stands out during individual drills in the secondary with that long, athletic frame, and he's probably best suited to play in a zone-based defense. Think of the three-deep shells we see in Seattle or in Los Angeles with the Chargers. White can be that rolled-down strong safety to impact the run front or drive on the ball. He's a thumper on contact, an inside rover like a Kam Chancellor or Keanu Neal. White, however, showed the ability to play some deep third coverage this week and work as a Cover 2 defender. Yes, given his frame, White isn't going to have the transition speed like Watts showed Wednesday, but White is more flexible than I expected. With an interception in practice Tuesday and the movement skills to find the rock, he has put together a solid week. -- Bowen

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
One thing about Washington, by all reports he's an absolute first-class person. You'd never have a problem with him off the field, or being a diva on it.

I'm pretty curious about what he'll run at the combine, though. I bet he isn't that fast, as top WRs go.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing about Washington, by all reports he's an absolute first-class person. You'd never have a problem with him off the field, or being a diva on it.

I'm pretty curious about what he'll run at the combine, though. I bet he isn't that fast, as top WRs go.
The guy just gets so much separation. I don't think he will run super fast but his playing speed looks great to me.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The guy just gets so much separation. I don't think he will run super fast but his playing speed looks great to me.
It's hard to tell in that offense with the kind of DBs he normally plays against. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a good pro if only because he's such a solid person and worker and not a head case. But I do wonder if he'll be that much different from, say, a Kendall Wright or somebody like that -- other smaller WRs from spread offenses (though Baylor's is different from OSU's).

I am rooting for him because he's a good story. I've been through his tiny west Texas town a few times and it's amazing anyone could come from there. He'd be an actual RKG and not just a throwaway cliche.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's hard to tell in that offense with the kind of DBs he normally plays against. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a good pro if only because he's such a solid person and worker and not a head case. But I do wonder if he'll be that much different from, say, a Kendall Wright or somebody like that -- other smaller WRs from spread offenses (though Baylor's is different from OSU's).

I am rooting for him because he's a good story. I've been through his tiny west Texas town a few times and it's amazing anyone could come from there. He'd be an actual RKG and not just a throwaway cliche.
Yeah I kind of expected him to go to the Senior Bowl and struggle with separation. I understand exactly what you're saying. At Oklahoma State he played in a spread against bad DBs who never pressed at the line of scrimmage. Basically gave him a running start on those deep plays. The fact that he has continued it at the Senior Bowl tells me that maybe it is more than just a system.

I actually didn't like him and didn't want to like him. I thought that he was Dez Bryant except short. I actually heard a more interesting comparison recently though. And it oddly seems fitting for him based on just body type and hands. That's Chris Chambers who played for the Dolphins out of Wisconsin. Another guy with 5'11" type height but with crazy long arms and good but not great athletic ability. Golden Tate is also a similar type of player but Golden Tate just doesn't look like he is as lanky. But a guy with deceptive speed who is able to get good separation even though his workout numbers maybe don't tell you why.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some have absolutely loved his week. Others have absolutely hated it.

I like what I've seen. The misjudging of snap counts and things like that can be fixed really easily in my opinion. I know he has sort of looked slow of the snap from a three point stance but it looks more like an anticipation problem then an ability to accelerate.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

What tiny west Texas town did he come from?

Top Bottom