2018 Senior Bowl Stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is how he worked out when in HS. Obviously, with college resources and attending an Engineering school, they came up with better tools for him to use.

Hell yeah. I am now officially rooting for this kid to succeed. He has more heart than half the players in the NFL combined. That is some badass shit.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be fine with Griffin on Day 3, he could definitely be a core ST'er and perhaps figure out a way onto the field defensively also. I'm not taking a guy with one hand before Day 3 though.

As far as Davenport, he almost always played from a 2-point stance in college, I want to see what he does with his hand down, it may even help him with leverage considering his height.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be fine with Griffin on Day 3, he could definitely be a core ST'er and perhaps figure out a way onto the field defensively also. I'm not taking a guy with one hand before Day 3 though.

As far as Davenport, he almost always played from a 2-point stance in college, I want to see what he does with his hand down, it may even help him with leverage considering his height.
Yeah by day three it's not that big of a deal. At minimum he should be able to play special teams. Which basically every LBer on your roster has to do. Although I know every time he misses a tackle I'll blame that god damn missing hand for it. I still wouldn't take him before the fifth though. It's just so hard when you can't really wrap up because you're missing a hand.

D

Deuce

Do you think his arm will regenerate...

But seriously, having a full arm and hand seems pretty vital in being able to tackle. I know he played well in college. But yeah, it's just something you never see so it makes me a bit leery.
I get it. It’s not a normal situation so it’s hard to imagine how productive he could be. But fact is he’s played at an elite level consistently for 2 years.

2016 - 80+ tackles, 11 sacks, 1 INT, 2 FF, AAC Defensive POY
2017 - 74 tackles, 7 sacks, 1 INT, 2 FF

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I get it. It’s not a normal situation so it’s hard to imagine how productive he could be. But fact is he’s played at an elite level consistently for 2 years.

Don't underestimate what he can do with his nub.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah the fact the he picked off any balls with only one hand is actually pretty cool. I just don't know how well those sacks translate to the NFL. A lot of them looked unblocked to me. And every time I watch them I cringe watching his nub try and grasp with no ability to do so.

But yeah I can't think of any NFL players with only one hand so it scares me.

D

Deuce

Yeah the fact the he picked off any balls with only one hand is actually pretty cool. I just don't know how well those sacks translate to the NFL. A lot of them looked unblocked to me. And every time I watch them I cringe watching his nub try and grasp with no ability to do so.

He was actually recruited out of HS as a Safety. His ball skills are surprisingly impressive.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life

Closest would be JPP...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Disappointing. That is pretty much the guts of the announced roster.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yep it's sad that more kids don't see it as an honor and an amazing opportunity. You can literally go from a middle round pick to first round consideration. There should still be plenty of talent to watch though.

Cotton

Staff member

Hell, the INTs alone are impressive as hell.

Cotton

Staff member
Are they just afraid of injury or what? It seems to me they are wasting a great opportunity by not playing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Are they just afraid of injury or what? It seems to me they are wasting a great opportunity by not playing.
That. Some of the OL are working out with LeCharles Bentley instead.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Senior Bowl players I'm really looking forward to seeing. Some of these guys obviously wouldn't be for the Cowboys (Baker Mayfield) but the majority probably are.

North Squad
QB Baker Mayfield
QB Josh Allen
S Armani Watts
RB Akrum Wadley (If we really want a third down back this guy is awesome in the open field and catches the ball great)
S Kyzir White
LB Nick Deluca
OT Chukwuma Okorafor
OG Sean Welsh
TE Troy Fumagali
WR Allan Lazard
WR Jaleel Scott

South Squad

S Quin Blanding
WR Tre'Quan Smith
LBer Shaquem Griffin
WR James Washington
LB Uchenna Nwosu
TE Dallas Goedert
DE Marcus Davenport

The South Squad QB's are a bunch of guys I know nothing about and obviously the North Squad QBs aren't really anything Dallas is probably looking at in the first round. But the rest of these guys could be real possibilities for the Cowboys. I love the WR group that will be there. Both squads have some WR's that I'd really like to look at in the middle rounds. Both teams have TE's that I'd really like in this draft.

Of course now I'm waiting for one of you guys to tell me half the people I listed won't actually be attending.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Senior Bowl players I'm really looking forward to seeing. Some of these guys obviously wouldn't be for the Cowboys (Baker Mayfield) but the majority probably are.

North Squad
QB Baker Mayfield
QB Josh Allen
S Armani Watts
RB Akrum Wadley (If we really want a third down back this guy is awesome in the open field and catches the ball great)
S Kyzir White
LB Nick Deluca
OT Chukwuma Okorafor
OG Sean Welsh
TE Troy Fumagali
WR Allan Lazard
WR Jaleel Scott

South Squad

S Quin Blanding
WR Tre'Quan Smith
LBer Shaquem Griffin
WR James Washington
LB Uchenna Nwosu
TE Dallas Goedert
DE Marcus Davenport

The South Squad QB's are a bunch of guys I know nothing about and obviously the North Squad QBs aren't really anything Dallas is probably looking at in the first round. But the rest of these guys could be real possibilities for the Cowboys. I love the WR group that will be there. Both squads have some WR's that I'd really like to look at in the middle rounds. Both teams have TE's that I'd really like in this draft.

Of course now I'm waiting for one of you guys to tell me half the people I listed won't actually be attending.
The fact that you want to see Baker Mayfield leads me to question your humanity. Dont walk down that path.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fact that you want to see Baker Mayfield leads me to question your humanity. Dont walk down that path.
Like I said, it's not really for the Cowboys but I'm always intrigued to see how QBs projected to go in the first round play. For good or bad I think even you want to see him.

I'm way more excited for the TE and WR's I listed on the North Squad though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Senior Bowl Preview -- The Offense

Tony Pauline
Draft Analyst Writer

There’s no rest for the weary after a week of two-a-day practices in St. Petersburg for the Shrine Game as the scouting community travels to Mobile, Alabama, for the Senior Bowl. Considered by some the most important week of scouting leading up to the draft, full scouting staffs from each of the league’s 32 teams will be on hand as well coaching staffs and front office personnel from all but the two teams preparing for the Super Bowl. Tony Pauline -- who has attended every Senior Bowl practice since 2000 -- and Chris Tripodi will be on hand to break down every single player for every single practice as well as bring readers of Draft Analyst all the breaking news.

Today we’ll start with a preview of the rosters on the offensive side of the ball.

Quarterbacks
The three days of practice could well dictate the early part of the draft.

Josh Allen of Wyoming hopes to redeem himself after a poor season. Physically the most gifted passer in the draft, Allen’s pocket discipline and often-erratic accuracy will be closely monitored. So too will his leadership skills.

The Senior Bowl is a king-maker, and no more so than at the quarterback position. To say this will be a huge week for Allen is an understatement.

The week is just as huge for Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield.

The Heisman Trophy winner benefited from a wide-open, limited-read offense with the Sooners but now must prove he’s comfortable and confident running an NFL offense. This means taking snaps under center and dropping into the pocket as well as lining up with a fullback behind him and a tight end lined up tight.

Luke Falk, Tanner Lee and fast-rising Kurt Benkert would all benefit from a big week.

Running Backs
Last January, Donnel Pumphrey benefited from a good showing at the Senior Bowl. This year, his former teammate Rashaad Penny hopes to do the same.

Penny is considered a much better NFL prospect, and the San Diego State senior ran roughshod over opponents last season. He needs to display perimeter quickness and solid pass-catching hands to jump into the draft’s second day.
If there’s an enigma at the running back position, it would be Kalen Ballage.

The Arizona State product is a physical beast but rarely plays to his ability. He’s been labeled as an underachiever on the college level and will have tons of questions thrown at him during Senior Bowl interviews.

Tight Ends/Wide Receivers

I am very excited to watch the crop of tight ends practice at the Senior Bowl.

South Dakota State’s Dallas Goedert has been a complete player at the position over the past two years but must now take his game to another level. He’s a tremendous pass catcher who also gets the job done as a blocker. Goedert presently grades as a second-day prospect on our board, but there is a possibility he slides into the late-first round with a good week.

The Big Ten is well represented at the position with Michael Gesicki of Penn State, Troy Fumagalli of Wisconsin and Indiana’s Ian Thomas.

Speed, quickness and the ability to outpace linebackers are critical for Gesicki and Fumagalli, both of whom are terrific pass catchers who easily win out for contested throws.
Thomas was not rated by scouts entering the season but now grades as a potential last-day selection. The Hoosier plays the tight end position like a receiver and has a great amount of upside.

Offensive Line
There’s been some late shuffling on the offensive line on the Senior Bowl roster, but there are a number of intriguing prospects.

I grade Mason Cole of Michigan as one of the top center prospects in the draft based on his play at the position early in his Wolverine career. Cole is listed at the center spot for the Senior Bowl, so we’ll be eager to see him back at the position.

Isaiah Wynn was graded as a lowly street free agent by scouts entering the season despite long-term success as a starter on the Georgia offensive line. After a brilliant senior campaign, Wynn now grades as a potential second-day pick. We grade Wynn at guard, not the left tackle position he played for the Bulldogs in 2017.

Should he line up the on the blind side during practice and do a good job, Wynn’s stock will soar.

I like both small-school prospects on the offensive line.

Brandon Parker of North Carolina A&T is a big, athletic blocker who has been incredibly impressive over the past two seasons. He’s a terrific pass protector who is also effective blocking in motion.

Humboldt State’s Alex Cappa is a strong, nasty lineman who dominated the lower level of competition he played at. He’s a terrific prospect who could line up at right tackle or guard.

Top Bottom