1st round pick: Tyler Smith, OT, Tulsa

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
No numbers are untouchable for the most part to Jones.

#22 shouldn't be worn. It is. #33 shouldn't be worn. It is.

Hey preys on sentimental fans who think numbers matter.
We don't use those numbers during the regular season tho, do we? I thought I read somewhere that they use them during preseason when there are so many bodies in camp, but once the season starts those numbers are put back in the vault.

Wait. I think I do remember seeing Dorsett's number during the regular season. But isn't Staubach's, Lilly's, and Emmitt's off limits?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We don't use those numbers during the regular season tho, do we? I thought I read somewhere that they use them during preseason when there are so many bodies in camp, but once the season starts those numbers are put back in the vault.

Wait. I think I do remember seeing Dorsett's number during the regular season. But isn't Staubach's, Lilly's, and Emmitt's off limits?
Those are about the only sacred numbers that Jones has yet to fuck with.

The rest are just mantle numbers for WRs, DEs, CBs.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
?

haven't seen it since Emmitt left. maybe you meant he shouldn't have worn it in the first place.
Bob Hayes does not justify a number retirement.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
A Hall of Famer would merit number retirement with most franchises.
Automatically retiring numbers for HOF status? There are only 100 numbers available.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We have 15.3 mil in cap space right now. Cooper still counts about 6 mil against our cap. So while it would be tight right this second, we could have absolutely held on to him (Knowing we would trade him during the draft or cut him later).
It would have been very tight, and again required the crazy foresight of the 1st round run on WR's.

No amount of restructuring would have changed the cap impact, because Cooper would not take a paycut. For example, built into the contract is a rider that lets the team convert 18+ million to SB and add two void years (Cincy has already done this) to reduce the 2022 burden. But the instant you trade him, you owe all of that money and you are out 18 million.

You can pretend now with hindsight that having Coopers 20 million money all count against your cap would be easy to take on (and still keep Schultz, etc), but the math barely works out. At the time, no one had the benefit of knowing the future.

Also, it's not clear if it was just the run that created the demand, as it could have been that they just wanted both Browns to play with their college QB's.

The Rams' Robert Woods was traded for even less than Cooper for exactly the same reason.

Personally, I'd have kept Cooper and never traded him.

Last edited:

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Personally, I'd have kept Cooper and never traded him.
This and maybe let it leak we might be open to trading him.

And as far as the money no matter how much SJ lies the cap means fuckall.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's way higher than I would have had Cine on my board. I'd be very curious to see the Cowboys draft board. And I really like Cine by the way, think he is a fun safety. I kind of expected the Cowboys to window dress the board better where Cine was further down the list because they didn't want a safety in the first.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
BPA is not a myth. The difference between 15 and 16 may have been negligible relative to the huge need Dallas has up front.

All things even closely even, bias towards need.

That said, we have a ways to go when it comes to CB's.

Something about that position puts our team into a trance. They were ready to draft not one but two CB's over Micah Parsons who was the best player in the draft and ROY/DROY.

What was their excuse? The team improved defensively without significant contributions from a new CB.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
BPA is not a myth. The difference between 15 and 16 may have been negligible relative to the huge need Dallas has up front.

All things even closely even, bias towards need.

That said, we have a ways to go when it comes to CB's.

Something about that position puts our team into a trance. They were ready to draft not one but two CB's over Micah Parsons who was the best player in the draft and ROY/DROY.

What was their excuse? The team improved defensively without significant contributions from a new CB.
I think he is talking about if Dallas used it as an excuse instead of admitting they drafted for need.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They went right down the checklist that was pretty much telegraphed for the entire league to see.
Yeah the only thing that was in question was WR/DE or DE/WR. Now they will claim the board just fell that way but come on. The first 4 rounds they knew what they were going to get.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think he is talking about if Dallas used it as an excuse instead of admitting they drafted for need.

I don't think he's saying that, but if he is he said it in a weird way.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
Whole lotta Jerry stink on this pick, I give it a C

If he takes out the ACL of Jordan Davis I’ll move it up to an A

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Whole lotta Jerry stink on this pick, I give it a C

If he takes out the ACL of Jordan Davis I’ll move it up to an A
As nasty as they are playing him up to be, he had better do some Erik Williams-type shit.

Top Bottom