Cowboys trade for Porter Jr.



New Cowboys CB Joey Porter Jr. said his agents had been having talks about potential trade options. The Cowboys were always one of the teams, but he was told not to get his hopes too high. “Because I always wanted to be in Dallas.”

Why?

“My whole family been Dallas fans our whole lives. Even my dad was a Dallas fan, my mom and everything. So this ain’t the first time we’re gonna have stars in the house. But now that we’re actually here, they’re going to rep this pretty hard, so I’m excited about that.”
 


New Cowboys CB Joey Porter Jr. said his agents had been having talks about potential trade options. The Cowboys were always one of the teams, but he was told not to get his hopes too high. “Because I always wanted to be in Dallas.”

Why?

“My whole family been Dallas fans our whole lives. Even my dad was a Dallas fan, my mom and everything. So this ain’t the first time we’re gonna have stars in the house. But now that we’re actually here, they’re going to rep this pretty hard, so I’m excited about that.”


He even mentioned his dad was a Cowboys fan. That must chap the Steelers fans ass a little.
 
Probably need a WR more at that point. At some point one of these pass rushers we drafted is going to actually need to develop.

Or just get rid of some of the highly paid flotsam on the roster (Steele, Ferguson, Gary, maybe even Clark or Bland) and keep both of them.

I'm pretty sure we could pretty easily keep both if we got rid of Steele and one of Ferguson/Gary, with an eye on getting rid of Bland and some of the others after the 2027 season.

If you had to rank the top 10 players on the team right now Pickens is probably in the 4-5 range and Porter is probably in the 6-8 range, so why lose one of them just so we can keep shitbird Steele and Ferguson around for one more year before we inevitably get rid of them anyway?
 
Or just get rid of some of the highly paid flotsam on the roster (Steele, Ferguson, Gary, maybe even Clark or Bland) and keep both of them.

I'm pretty sure we could pretty easily keep both if we got rid of Steele and one of Ferguson/Gary, with an eye on getting rid of Bland and some of the others after the 2027 season.

If you had to rank the top 10 players on the team right now Pickens is probably in the 4-5 range and Porter is probably in the 6-8 range, so why lose one of them just so we can keep shitbird Steele and Ferguson around for one more year before we inevitably get rid of them anyway?

I mean Steele is just an albatross. Thank God Guyton has been playing good. But Steele basically is giving you what scrubs off the street would. You can get that type of play from some bargain basement free agent. For him to be paid what he is paid is kind of a joke at this point.
 


God, I hope not. If he had a Deion-like impact I could stomach losing him after one season, but it's unlikely that we're one good corner away from a championship. On the other hand, I don't like overpaying him to justify the compensation we gave up. Crazy how contract drama always swirls around this team.

Giving up 165, 182, and 192 on the ground to start the year with 2 sacks (all in the first game) and 0 interceptions— we are not one CB away from a championship.

But yeah, man, I agree we really, really needed a top-flight CB
 
Last edited:
Giving up 165, 182, and 192 on the ground to start the year with 2 sacks (all in the first game) and 0 interceptions— we are not one CB away from a championship.

But man, we really, really needed a top-flight CB

I mean you hold Henry to 3.4 YPC on 26 carries and you'd think we did a great job against the run. It's the speed outside stuff though that's a real problem. Lamar chips in 50 yards. Flowers chips in a 20 yard run. And suddenly you were washed for 192 yards.

Same thing with the Skins. Their leading rusher was Jayden Daniel's who only played half a freaking game at QB.

Giants game wasn't great but it wasn't awful either. But 37 rushes is a shit load. And again the QB goes for 54 yards rushing.

Ultimately its been QBs running. And the speed stuff to the outside, we really need to figure out what the hell we are doing with containment. But maybe a corner who can kind of solidify a spot without help will allow us an extra man to cover some of that stuff.
 
I mean you hold Henry to 3.4 YPC on 26 carries and you'd think we did a great job against the run. It's the speed outside stuff though that's a real problem. Lamar chips in 50 yards. Flowers chips in a 20 yard run. And suddenly you were washed for 192 yards.

Same thing with the Skins. Their leading rusher was Jayden Daniel's who only played have a freaking game at QB.

Giants game wasn't great but it wasn't awful either. But 37 rushes is a shit load. And again the QB goes for 54 yards rushing.

Ultimately its been QBs running. And the speed stuff to the outside, we really need to figure out what the hell we are doing with containment. But maybe a corner who can kind of solidify a spot without help will allow us an extra man to cover some of that stuff.

Yea I'm not that worried about the run defense.

Stopping extremely mobile QB's? Somewhat concerning but that's mostly a communication/discipline thing that I think will get tightened up as the season moves along.

I'd be way more concerned if RB's were averaging 5 YPC against us every week because that's a physical thing.

I'm not sure what the YPC works out for just the RB's but we've played three of the most mobile QB's in the league who have racked up somewhere around 50-60 rushing yards per game, I'd guess the RB's are somewhere around 4 YPC.

If we're still giving up 140 rushing yards to teams with QB's like Jordan Love or whoever the fuck the Cardinals are starting, then I'll worry.
 
Giving up 165, 182, and 192 on the ground to start the year with 2 sacks (all in the first game) and 0 interceptions— we are not one CB away from a championship.

But man, we really, really needed a top-flight CB
Weren’t you telling us not long ago that we needed a top CB?
 
Yeah the difference is I don't think Pickens can be done during the season because of the franchise tag.

Porter is on his rookie deal so technically he could get an extension any time.
Correct Pickens has to wait til the season ends ..but if we extend Porter .. we absolutely cannot over pay like we did on Diggs
 
Correct Pickens has to wait til the season ends ..but if we extend Porter .. we absolutely cannot over pay like we did on Diggs

I don't know if I care about the money as much as I just don't want him to turn into a pumpkin once he gets paid like Diggs did. Which health played a big part in that.
 
Back
Top Bottom