Cowboys trade for Porter Jr.

Yeah, not making excuses, but we've faced three athletic, mobile QBs so far, which isn't the norm. The last two especially are very difficult. So I expect the defensive stats to look a lot better after the next two games when we face Stroud and a backup.

As Simp said, if Houston and Tampa's offenses run over us, that'll be a huge red flag. But not worrying too much until then.
 
I don't know if I care about the money as much as I just don't want him to turn into a pumpkin once he gets paid like Diggs did. Which health played a big part in that.
Diggs was always a turd. Probably the reason he lasted till the second the way he did... Teams heard behind the scenes how he was.
 
Now we need an actual honest-to-God pass rusher and convert these almost-pressures (Ezeiruaku... looking at you). And man, 7 looks cooked out there. Slow and stupidly waving his arms. Quinnen isn't getting much help up front
Same old, same old every year of the brain trust yelling from the roof top “we fixed the defense!!!”. Same chest thumping thru training camp about how great everyone looks.

But anyone with half a brain looks at the additions or draft picks and goes..we probably haven’t fixed shit. Then the real game action starts and it’s even worse than what we thought it would be.

It’s just the way the team operates under Jerry and Son.
 
Skattebo went 18 for 81, 4.5 YPC against us. Against the Rams he was 13/36/3.0. Against Tennessee he was 20/60/3.0.

So it's not like there's no red flags on our run defense when we let a complete JAG like Skattebo run on us like that.

The good news is we handled Henry pretty well so it looks better but I wouldn't say there shouldn't be a concern.
 
Skattebo went 18 for 81, 4.5 YPC against us. Against the Rams he was 13/36/3.0. Against Tennessee he was 20/60/3.0.

So it's not like there's no red flags on our run defense when we let a complete JAG like Skattebo run on us like that.

The good news is we handled Henry pretty well so it looks better but I wouldn't say there shouldn't be a concern.
I do give a little grace for the first game of the season, new coordinator and system, facing a good coach with a new team... All after one of our Jerry-enforced weak training camps.

If it happens again against them, it's a problem.
 
I do give a little grace for the first game of the season, new coordinator and system, facing a good coach with a new team... All after one of our Jerry-enforced weak training camps.

If it happens again against them, it's a problem.
I dont give him/them grace. Thats what preseason is for. They should have been playing them. Instead we gave up a game that we should have won. You cant do that in this league.
 
There is no reason they can’t afford both.
The Rams and Eagles among others have proven the cap is just a mirage.

Jerry knew that 30 years ago but for whatever reason started believing you could build a SB roster by only spending a certain amount of money.
 
I do give a little grace for the first game of the season, new coordinator and system, facing a good coach with a new team... All after one of our Jerry-enforced weak training camps.

If it happens again against them, it's a problem.
What I find odd is they hired Parker knowing he would run a variation of Fangios D, but didn’t give the guy the pieces he needs to run that D.

Oh wait, we are talking about the Cowboys. Always a day late and a dollar short.

Porter is a great pickup, but we are still screwed at LB and lack that disruptive pass rusher that is key to running Fangios D.
 
Or just get rid of some of the highly paid flotsam on the roster (Steele, Ferguson, Gary, maybe even Clark or Bland) and keep both of them.

I'm pretty sure we could pretty easily keep both if we got rid of Steele and one of Ferguson/Gary, with an eye on getting rid of Bland and some of the others after the 2027 season.

If you had to rank the top 10 players on the team right now Pickens is probably in the 4-5 range and Porter is probably in the 6-8 range, so why lose one of them just so we can keep shitbird Steele and Ferguson around for one more year before we inevitably get rid of them anyway?
Agree 100%. If this team ever hopes to contend for a SB Jerry has to accept he fact you have to trade, or unfortunately cut players who are skewed in the money/on field performance category. And you named several.
 
Skattebo went 18 for 81, 4.5 YPC against us. Against the Rams he was 13/36/3.0. Against Tennessee he was 20/60/3.0.

So it's not like there's no red flags on our run defense when we let a complete JAG like Skattebo run on us like that.

The good news is we handled Henry pretty well so it looks better but I wouldn't say there shouldn't be a concern.

18/81 isn't anything egregious and they didn't have Dart for anything more than the first drive of the Rams game, so I'd guess that had something to do with the numbers being that different.
 
What I find odd is they hired Parker knowing he would run a variation of Fangios D, but didn’t give the guy the pieces he needs to run that D.

Oh wait, we are talking about the Cowboys. Always a day late and a dollar short.

Porter is a great pickup, but we are still screwed at LB and lack that disruptive pass rusher that is key to running Fangios D.


For the record, the eagles were middle of the pack in sacks last year and their team leader only had 6.5.
 
For the record, the eagles were middle of the pack in sacks last year and their team leader only had 6.5.

Yea we don't need an elite pass rush, the Seahawks sack distribution was very similar last year to the Eagles. The issue is we have basically no sacks all year and little pressure outside of the Skins game, we need the edge rushers in particular to step up.
 
18/81 isn't anything egregious and they didn't have Dart for anything more than the first drive of the Rams game, so I'd guess that had something to do with the numbers being that different.

Yeah I mean I would have loved to totally shut down that short and slow turd. But it is what it is. I think a guy like Skatteboo burns himself out quickly so I kind of expect him to get worse as the season goes on.

The Texans are a good test for this defense. No mobile QB and a generally bad offense. If they suddenly have a great game against this defense and run the ball with ease, I'll be concerned. But this is the type of game the defense should break out a little and start building some confidence.
 
I mean you hold Henry to 3.4 YPC on 26 carries and you'd think we did a great job against the run. It's the speed outside stuff though that's a real problem. Lamar chips in 50 yards. Flowers chips in a 20 yard run. And suddenly you were washed for 192 yards.

Same thing with the Skins. Their leading rusher was Jayden Daniel's who only played half a freaking game at QB.

Giants game wasn't great but it wasn't awful either. But 37 rushes is a shit load. And again the QB goes for 54 yards rushing.

Ultimately its been QBs running. And the speed stuff to the outside, we really need to figure out what the hell we are doing with containment. But maybe a corner who can kind of solidify a spot without help will allow us an extra man to cover some of that stuff.
The net effect is it keeps our own offense off the field and exhausts our defense.

Our DE’s, LB’s— gotta find ways to close in pursuit. Changeups are also working really well against us.
 
Yea we don't need an elite pass rush, the Seahawks sack distribution was very similar last year to the Eagles. The issue is we have basically no sacks all year and little pressure outside of the Skins game, we need the edge rushers in particular to step up.

Against the Ravens it really felt like our ends were being cautious to not let the QB break contain. Which I get, Jackson will make you look silly running the ball but is kind of an average passer.

But I always wonder, are you better off with that conservative approach, or are you better off sort of trying to swarm the QB with your pass rush. Maybe have a spy while at the same time having everyone else go all out after the QB. Again, the problem with Jackson is there aren't many if any defensive players that can spy him effectively. Just too good at making one man miss and he is as fast as some of the best offensive players in the NFL.

Anyway, that game is done. Stroud is not particularly mobile and last I checked the Texans offensive line isn't particularly good. This is a game where if our pass rush doesn't show up, then we have coaching issues on defense or we have extremely overrated these pass rushing players.
 
Same old, same old every year of the brain trust yelling from the roof top “we fixed the defense!!!”. Same chest thumping thru training camp about how great everyone looks.

But anyone with half a brain looks at the additions or draft picks and goes..we probably haven’t fixed shit. Then the real game action starts and it’s even worse than what we thought it would be.

It’s just the way the team operates under Jerry and Son.
Those guys could generate hype if they rehired Sherm Lewis right out of his bingo game

I admit, I’m a mark. I’ll always be, I guess.

Ben Johnson got results from the Bears immediately last year, especially as Burden started coming online. But even that positively heralded situation took some time to develop.

CP needs more time, but he also needs smarter players and better pass rush/run pursuit talent.
 
Back
Top Bottom