Cowboys trade for Porter Jr.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Joined
Apr 8, 2013
Messages
24,331


We'll see what the compensation is, but I'm hoping absolutely nothing more than a 2027 2nd.

We damn well better not give up a 1st either in 2027 or 2028.
 
My only issue with the trade is the extension situation. Are they really going to pay him 25-30/year (and presumably end any chance they extend Pickens) or let him walk as a one year rental that they gave up a 2028 2nd for?

From a pure talent perspective I think the picks they gave up make it a good deal. He's not in the same class as the elite top 5-7ish types (Surtain, Gonzalez, Stingley, etc.) but he's probably in the tier below it with the Trent McDuffie, AJ Terrell and Jaycee Horn types, so for a 2nd two years from now that's pretty good.

I guess the logic is they might just be swapping a 2028 2nd for a compensatory 2028 3rd if they let him walk after this year.
 
That's VERY reasonable.

We didn't give up a 1st and the 2nd we did give up was for 2028.

And we needed CB help, so this is huge!

I'm very happy with this deal.

Yea it's definitely reasonable from a talent vs. picks perspective, I just wonder if their plan is to squeeze him like they did with Pickens.

Basically hold the expiring contract over his head and make him play out the last year of the deal if he has any hopes of getting paid, either here or elsewhere. If that's the case will we get anywhere near the best of him?
 
My only issue with the trade is the extension situation. Are they really going to pay him 25-30/year (and presumably end any chance they extend Pickens) or let him walk as a one year rental that they gave up a 2028 2nd for?

I would rather sign Pickens than him, but maybe they're gonna let him play out the year and go from there?

We can also tag him next year right?
 
Also, this is huge in that it allows us to move Bland back to the slot where he belongs.

He's a solid starting CB at best on the outside, but he's a really good nickle/slot guy.

I hope they move him back inside when Durant gets healthy.
 
I would rather sign Pickens than him, but maybe they're gonna let him play out the year and go from there?

We can also tag him next year right?

Can tag him or let him walk and basically get our pick in 2028 back, just a round later.

But I guess one way or the other they'll have to extend either him or Pickens, so that's something.
 
Also, this is huge in that it allows us to move Bland back to the slot where he belongs.

He's a solid starting CB at best on the outside, but he's a really good nickle/slot guy.

I hope they move him back inside when Durant gets healthy.

In the offseason they seemed like they really didn't want Bland in the slot.

If I had to guess Downs is still the slot when they're near full health, but maybe he gets moved around in the meantime while safety is a mess with injuries.
 
I was originally against trading for him, but that was because I thought the compensation would have to be a first or something like that. I also don't like the prospect of paying him.

But this deal I like. Especially since it sounds like he's ok playing without an extension. A 2028 2nd is more palatable than any premium 2027 pick.

Even if they let him walk they basically rented him for a year for the price of dropping a round. That's not bad.
 
WTF?

Let's just give away all our picks for rentals. I don't care if it's 2028, that's still a second.

I have to wonder if they're souring on Revel a bit. Maybe they're thinking he's never going to stay healthy.

But what's our biggest hope on defense this year? Barham and Downs, and probably Lawrence later in the year. Draft picks. So let's trade them all away.

Also... He was holding out there because of his contact, right? Are we sure he's just going to play here when nothing on that has been resolved? Or apparently is going to be anytime soon?
 
Last edited:
I'm torn on this one. He is a good player who I think will help us, but the current personnel part is where it gets tricky for me. If we are at full health I'm not so sure CB is such a huge need with Revel finally getting to show what he is. If we continue to use Downs in the slot, this pushes Revel back to the bench once Durant is healthy. He will see some PT, yes, but not nearly as much. This trade just feels like you are in desperate need at CB, and (at least to me) that's not the case.

As far as compensation, I think it's fair with one caveat. They have got to sign him to an extension. Fuck a one year rental with hopes of getting a third back. We aren't one player on defense away from winning a SB. I do like that it's a 2028 2nd and not 2027. We have (had) a full slate of picks in 2028 (minus a 7th), so I'm okay with the capital given up, as long as they sign him long-term. If they don't sign him long-term, I am going to hate the shit out of this trade.
 
Let's just give away all our picks for rentals.
I know they said they won't initially sign him long-term, but who know what will happen between now and the end of next offseason. So, I have to LT Fan on this one for now and hope.
Also... He was holding out there because of his contact, right? Are we sure he's just going to play here when nothing on that has been resolved? Or apparently is going to be anytime soon?
This part really makes me nervous, too. Is he a little diva bitch? The attitude on this team when we subtracted Parsons and Diggs is part of what has bade such a big difference in the defensive turnaround this year. Do we want to invite that kind of attitude right back into the locker room? Not saying he will be a locker room issue, but if he is using a back issue as an excuse to hold out it smells really bad.
 
WTF?

Let's just give away all our picks for rentals. I don't care if it's 2028, that's still a second.

I have to wonder if they're souring on Revel a bit. Maybe they're thinking he's never going to stay healthy.

But what's our biggest hope on defense this year? Barham and Downs, and probably Lawrence later in the year. Draft picks. So let's trade them all away.

Also... He was holding out there because of his contact, right? Are we sure he's just going to play here when nothing on that has been resolved? Or apparently is going to be anytime soon?
Super Bowl aspirations, the news is saying. This isn’t rearranging deck chairs in the Titanic, it’s buying new deck chairs after it hit the ice berg.
 
Back
Top Bottom