2026 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

They seem to be impacted more by the outside noise, trading for Quinnen and signing Thompson in FA were two direct decisions that I think were made because of the negativity around the team.

You can never underestimate Jerry's willingness to be stubborn for the sake of his "comfort", but if there are 1-2 more losses like the Ravens game and we're 7-10 or worse, I think he's gone.

8-9 or better and the dumbo is back for another year for sure.


I think that's wishful thinking.

The last time we fired someone mid contract was Wade 16 years ago and we were 1-7.

I'm certain it would take that level of collapse for Schottenheimer to get fired and I doubt we're that bad. Like 2-3 wins on the season bad.
 
I think that's wishful thinking.

The last time we fired someone mid contract was Wade 16 years ago and we were 1-7.

I'm certain it would take that level of collapse for Schottenheimer to get fired and I doubt we're that bad. Like 2-3 wins on the season bad.

It also helped that the Jones family Wonderboy was already on the staff.

There is no such person on this staff.
 
You and I both.

I'm not ready to give up on Parker that easily. I think he is going to get there. I still believe in the defensive staff and am willing to accept some growing pains.

What concerns me is Schotty. I just don't think he is cut out to be head coach or OC. He is a likable guy and all that, but he just is not a good coach.
 
I do think if we go something like 7-10 -- and that's three losing seasons in a row for the first time since, what, Campo? -- the pressure is going to be immense.

The escape hatch might be if Schotty signed a crappy contract that allows Jerry to fire him without paying him to sit on the couch. Which if he was as weak as he showed yesterday, he might have.
 
The escape hatch might be if Schotty signed a crappy contract that allows Jerry to fire him without paying him to sit on the couch. Which if he was as weak as he showed yesterday, he might have.

The funny thing is he doesn't have a massive contract. Basically 4.5 mil a year. It's fucking change in the couch cushion for a guy like Jerry Jones. Probably one of the 5 lowest paid head coaches in the NFL. And Jerry, he may not even have 2 more seasons after this one to piss away.

And yet, paying someone 4.5 mil to not coach is just too much for the richest franchise in the NFL. Brian Kelly gets 54 mil to not coach and Jerry is too tight to sacrifice 4.5 mil a year on Schotty. Sounds so ridiculous but it is so true.
 
The funny thing is he doesn't have a massive contract. Basically 4.5 mil a year. It's fucking change in the couch cushion for a guy like Jerry Jones. Probably one of the 5 lowest paid head coaches in the NFL. And Jerry, he may not even have 2 more seasons after this one to piss away.

And yet, paying someone 4.5 mil to not coach is just too much for the richest franchise in the NFL. Brian Kelly gets 54 mil to not coach and Jerry is too tight to sacrifice 4.5 mil a year on Schotty. Sounds so ridiculous but it is so true.

Yep, when these fools are 10X more profitable (at least) than the richest college football team.
 
If he is so good, why isn’t he someone’s DC?

Yeah I remember him being pretty good as a DC at Michigan but he was ultimately fired along with the head coach last year. His defenses with the Giants ranked in the lower half of the NFL both seasons. The second season actually got worse with them dropping to 27th in the NFL.

I think it's easy to pick apart a call here or there and say you'd fix those things. And I'm sure Parker is doing the same thing. But that doesn't mean you're a better DC. I think some of that is just hubris from a guy who was an NFL DC.
 
The funny thing is he doesn't have a massive contract. Basically 4.5 mil a year. It's fucking change in the couch cushion for a guy like Jerry Jones. Probably one of the 5 lowest paid head coaches in the NFL. And Jerry, he may not even have 2 more seasons after this one to piss away.

And yet, paying someone 4.5 mil to not coach is just too much for the richest franchise in the NFL. Brian Kelly gets 54 mil to not coach and Jerry is too tight to sacrifice 4.5 mil a year on Schotty. Sounds so ridiculous but it is so true.


It's being a cheap asshole.

There's no salary cap on coaching.

They should have been throwing massive money at the best coaches for the past 30+ years.
 
It's being a cheap asshole.

There's no salary cap on coaching.

They should have been throwing massive money at the best coaches for the past 30+ years.

It absolutely is being a cheap asshole. And from a guy who claims "that if there was no salary cap he would spend whatever it takes to win."

It's a bunch of bullshit. At the end of the day it's about money for Jerry. Pride as well, but his pride comes mostly from the money.
 
It's being a cheap asshole.

There's no salary cap on coaching.

They should have been throwing massive money at the best coaches for the past 30+ years.
Ah, but every dollar spent on a coach is one less dollar he can leave to the grandkids, He'd never do what Vegas did with Pete Carroll and eating his contract.
 
One of the reasons why I'm strangely encouraged after the Ravens game is that the Ravens have all the hallmarks of a team that would probably destroy us - one of the best running QBs of all time, one of the best RBs of all time, a very good WR, and a solid defense on top of that.

Yet we should have won and were in a position to win if we didn't fuck it up several different ways.

I'm not saying fuck ups won't happen again but I doubt it'll be common.
 
One of the reasons why I'm strangely encouraged after the Ravens game is that the Ravens have all the hallmarks of a team that would probably destroy us - one of the best running QBs of all time, one of the best RBs of all time, a very good WR, and a solid defense on top of that.

Yet we should have won and were in a position to win if we didn't fuck it up several different ways.

I'm not saying fuck ups won't happen again but I doubt it'll be common.

Especially on a field surface that in my opinion favors the run game.
 
One of the reasons why I'm strangely encouraged after the Ravens game is that the Ravens have all the hallmarks of a team that would probably destroy us - one of the best running QBs of all time, one of the best RBs of all time, a very good WR, and a solid defense on top of that.

Yet we should have won and were in a position to win if we didn't fuck it up several different ways.

I'm not saying fuck ups won't happen again but I doubt it'll be common.
Yeah, I'm about over it. Most of us thought we'd get crushed. Instead we came within seconds of beating them. Of course moral victories don't count, and you can't lose so many that mathematically it's impossible to come back, but we're, what, one game worse than expected at this point? It's only three games, and we have plenty of time to make up for this.
 
One of the reasons why I'm strangely encouraged after the Ravens game is that the Ravens have all the hallmarks of a team that would probably destroy us - one of the best running QBs of all time, one of the best RBs of all time, a very good WR, and a solid defense on top of that.

Yet we should have won and were in a position to win if we didn't fuck it up several different ways.

I'm not saying fuck ups won't happen again but I doubt it'll be common.

I agree but I think Schottenheimer's fuck ups are so egregious and amateur that they are a sign of a HC that is in over their head, and is something that won't ever change drastically.
 
Yeah, I'm about over it. Most of us thought we'd get crushed. Instead we came within seconds of beating them. Of course moral victories don't count, and you can't lose so many that mathematically it's impossible to come back, but we're, what, one game worse than expected at this point? It's only three games, and we have plenty of time to make up for this.

Yeah I'm not taking a moral victory. It just sucks to lose a game that you know could have been won at the end relatively easily. But it's one loss on the season. It's still extremely early. No reason to dwell on this thing. We just need to continue to get better on defense and beat the Texans. It's not like anyone is going to be running away with the NFC East. And even the NFC darling Rams are only 1-2. So certainly not time to hit the panic button. But we need to string together wins. What worries me is that in a close game, our head coach is going to get outcoached. And I think our head coach is scared in big games and big game moments.
 
Back
Top Bottom