Week 4 Game Day Chatter | Cowboys vs Rams | 10-1-2017

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You know the wheels have come off when Simp drops a fuck off.
I mean we're the better team and just clearly got outcoached and gave it away with mistakes so it's frustrating.

Switzer's arrogant bullshit really pisses me off and then it's astounding to me to watch the Rams clearly make adjustments at halftime while we come out flat as could be offensively. The defense playing like shit, I get to some extent, we're down our two best LB's including our best overall player, we're also down 2 CB's and we're not that great defensively to begin with.

But giving up scores on every single drive except one, and then to watch our offense putzing around after dominating in the 1st half just makes it that much more obvious how a coach like McVay can elevate lesser talent while our dipshits struggle because we had to replace two OL, one of whom was replaced by a first-round talent.

data

Forbes #1
I mean we're the better team and just clearly got outcoached and gave it away with mistakes so it's frustrating.

Switzer's arrogant bullshit really pisses me off and then it's astounding to me to watch the Rams clearly make adjustments at halftime while we come out flat as could be offensively. The defense playing like shit, I get to some extent, we're down our two best LB's including our best overall player, we're also down 2 CB's and we're not that great defensively to begin with.

But giving up scores on every single drive except one, and then to watch our offense putzing around after dominating in the 1st half just makes it that much more obvious how a coach like McVay can elevate lesser talent while our dipshits struggle because we had to replace two OL, one of whom was replaced by a first-round talent.
My favorite was watching Tavon Austin on two productive end arounds then watch our LBers bite hard on the Tavon fake-end around on the next drive, which was Gurley's 50-yard TD.

As soon as I saw Gurley run past our frozen LBers, the TD was a foregone conclusion. I was already congratulating Sean McVay with a Jurassic Park "clever girl".

data

Forbes #1
I'm liking the fact that we are developing a QB controversy with a non-player.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The real issue is that the staff expected some quantum leap where it was stupid to assume so.

He is good enough to win with. The problem is, they are pretending he is better than he is.

This is not that hard to figure out, but I guess it makes more sense to blame the second year fourth round pick who has played way over his head for most games in his career than to hold this shithead staff accountable.
That’s part of my point. The coaching staff assumes that Prescott can do things he isn’t prepared to do at this time. They have tried to use him like a 10 year experienced pro. It’s not there yet. Even most fans think Prescott is elite and can carry the team. He is a talented athlete but to raw yet for taking on the responsibility of the success for the team. I hope this streak doesn’t panic him mentally.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That’s part of my point. The coaching staff assumes that Prescott can do things he isn’t prepared to do at this time. They have tried to use him like a 10 year experienced pro. It’s not there yet. Even most fans think Prescott is elite and can carry the team. He is a talented athlete but to raw yet for taking on the responsibility of the success for the team. I hope this streak doesn’t panic him mentally.
I think we can all agree with this. One of the primary reasons that this team struggled on offense in weeks 1 & 2 is because they were running the offense as if we had Peyton Manning at QB.

However, I don't think most fans think he is elite and can carry an offense. I think most understand that he is best playing off the running game.....bootlegs, playaction passes, etc. I think this coaching staff does him an incredible disservice by putting him in the shotgun and in empty sets so often. The Cowboys are better when the pass:run ration is something like 55:45

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Out coached by Sean McVay.

Fuck you Garrett and Marinelli.

But by golly you can’t fault the effort and everyone doing things the right way.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The real issue is that the staff expected some quantum leap where it was stupid to assume so.

He is good enough to win with. The problem is, they are pretending he is better than he is.

This is not that hard to figure out, but I guess it makes more sense to blame the second year fourth round pick who has played way over his head for most games in his career than to hold this shithead staff accountable.
It's both normal and logical to give a QB more responsibility as he gains experience, especially when he's coming off such a promising rookie season.

However, this staff went far beyond that. Instead of tossing in a few more plays and throwing in some new concepts into the offense to maximize his strengths as a passer, they pretty much threw out everything that worked last season and dusted off Romo's playbook and handed it to him.

It wasn't until late in the 1st half vs Arizona that our staff finally woke up and decided to start running the types of plays that made us successful last season. And while yesterday's gameplan and playcalling were OK for the most part, you still see way too many instances of them calling plays that do not suit Prescott at all.

How many times do you need to see us be unsuccessful in that 5-wide empty set before you realize the either Prescott or the offense as a whole aren't suited for it?

This isn't some exotic concept we're talking about here. This is basic, common-sense football and yet our staff is struggling to understand it.

I just wish I could be a fly on the wall for some of the internal discussions the coaching staff has because I would love to know what it is that brings them to the some of the conclusions and decisions that they come to.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I know we're all bitching about the defense and Garrett but I'd like to see more speed added at WR and we need another TE.

It's time for Witten to go. Great guy and an all timer, but it's time.

I want to see more Brice Butler and more Noah Brown and less Terrence Williams.
Yes, please. I have been lauding him lately because he had been clutch. Mofo hasn't changed or gotten better. He must have just gotten lucky. Son of a bitch can't catch a cold in the middle of AIDS season.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Especially one with a dinosaur like Marinelli coaching them that still thinks that the likes of Chris Conte is a good player.
I jut can't wrap my head around why this team has largely ignored both the safety and DT positions for most of the last 7 to 8 years.

Hell, you could almost say the same about the unit as a whole.

When was the last time we truly had a difference-maker at either position? Jay Ratliff 2009 and Ken Hamlin 2007? That is totally unacceptable.

Since then, we've made no real attempts to either draft or sign a guy who had pro bowl potential at either position. And no, I don't consider drafting a CB from a school like UConn and turning him into a Safety as a real attempt to improve the position.

So it should come as no surprise that we remain a defense that is still soft in the middle and terrible in the secondary.

And when you couple this with the fact that we have spent four 2nd round picks on players who were all gambles for one reason or another (Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, Randy Gregory, Jaylon Smith), and it is no wonder why this unit is poor most seasons, and mediocre at best in other seasons.

It worked out in Sean Lee's case, didn't work out for either Carter or Gregory, and the jury is still out on Smith. But when you've been as mediocre as the Cowboys have been for most of this century, you cannot continuously use prime picks on huge gambles like that. We are not anywhere near good enough to be wasting valuable resources like that.

Garrett sucks shit, and Marinelli does too. So when these guys are finally gone, it'll be a day worth celebrating. But unless someone in that organization gets a clue and starts trying to operate this franchise the way it should be, then it won't matter who the next coaches are because it's still going to be a lot more of the same flaws that will eventually lead right back to mediocre-ville.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yes, please. I have been lauding him lately because he had been clutch. Mofo hasn't changed or gotten better. He must have just gotten lucky. Son of a bitch can't catch a cold in the middle of AIDS season.
Terrence Williams is a prime example of what's wrong with this team. They'll show you flashes here and there, but they don't possess the ability necessary to consistently make the little plays that win games.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think we can all agree with this. One of the primary reasons that this team struggled on offense in weeks 1 & 2 is because they were running the offense as if we had Peyton Manning at QB.

However, I don't think most fans think he is elite and can carry an offense. I think most understand that he is best playing off the running game.....bootlegs, playaction passes, etc. I think this coaching staff does him an incredible disservice by putting him in the shotgun and in empty sets so often. The Cowboys are better when the pass:run ration is something like 55:45
Prescott's shortcoming as a passer are coming to light this season due to the mismanagement of the staff, but he too has not been as sharp as we need him to be.

He has missed Dez so many times this season when he was open going inside. They don't seem to have much chemistry at all, but Dak is missing him on what should be routine pitch and catch situations.

Whenever Dez runs a route towards the middle of the field whether it be a slant, an 8-12 yard in route, or a post, Dak is almost always off the mark. The ball is either too high, too far inside, or behind him.

And then we have this dilemma of Dak and his receivers having 3 to 4 miscommunications a game.

WTF is going on there? I don't know who's to blame there, but it's ridiculous that we're 4 games in and Dak and his receivers are still having multiple instances of this occur each week.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Romo can't get out of bed without straining a muscle in his back. He's gone. Get over it.
This is easy to say, but the reality is he could have played a three game stretch and probably more, which is what we really needed him for.

And then you have Dak anyways. It was a no-lose situation putting Romo in.

But we had a head coach who got caught up in the hype thinking he was Belichick.

We wasted perfect offensive execution from almost every position last year. Wasted it.

Because perfect is what the offense has to be to overcome this defense.

Cotton

Staff member

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
This is easy to say, but the reality is he could have played a three game stretch and probably more, which is what we really needed him for.

But we had a head coach who got caught up in the hype thinking he was Belichick.

We wasted perfect offensive execution from almost every position last year. Wasted it.

Yea, but you gotta let Romo go.

We didn't lose to the Packers because of Romo not being there. And while a healthy and still physically capable Romo (both big ifs) would be better for this team right at this very moment, it's silly to even consider what could be.

I mean, how much time do you think the guy honestly had left? We had to move on at some point, and even with Dak's early struggles, he's still playing at a level that suggests we are really lucky to be able to make that transition with someone competent at the position.

It's time to let it go, man.

As for the rest of what you said, I agree.

Lats year was a wasted opportunity. The type of production and execution we got from the entire offense was unreal. But we couldn't take advantage of it because a defense that we have largely ignored for the better part of 8 years came back to bite us in the ass just like it always does.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I would love to have Romo back but that’s not going to happen. After the third or fourth game last season the organization shut that door and proclaimed Dak as the starter. Th left no room to bring Romo back after that proclamation. Even though Romo Sat in the second chair and would have had to come into the lineup. He was already informed by the orgnation that Dak was their guy now.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm not going to post a bunch of gifs, because none of us want to relive that shit, but I damn sure wanted to post one of that choking piece of shit, Williams.

Top Bottom