Week 4 Game Day Chatter | Cowboys vs Rams | 10-1-2017

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Switzer quote when asked about muffing the punt: "Isn't the first time I have done it, and won't be the last".

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He is impressive for where he was drafted. He should get more and more time as the season goes and I think he will.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I said I wouldn't post any more gifs, but I lied. Look at this acceleration to the ball. Heath can suck a bag of dicks.

I still can't believe he wasn't better than a sixth round pick. NFL evaluations of safeties seems very flawed.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Switzer quote when asked about muffing the punt: "Isn't the first time I have done it, and won't be the last".
Great attitude, just too small and slow to be very effective as a returner. Needs some HGH like yesterday.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Shades of if this is the worst that happens to me, I have lived a pretty good life.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Beasley is more of a short route guy. He can get 12 yards but that's mostly after the catch.

Witten hasn't been involved lately so that hurts, but Williams used to make a living there and he can't seem to get open or the staff isn't doing a good job of scheming these guys open -- probably both.

And the few times a game Dez runs those routes inside, Dak keeps missing him.

Some of it is correctable, but some of it is just old age and lackluster coaching and that isn't changing this season.
Some of it is correctable, but some of it is just old age and lackluster coaching and that isn't changing this season.[/QUOTE]

This however begs the question, is the intermediate passing game lacking because they were not being deployed or does the QB just not complete this pass? I haven’t actually tallied the attempts but it seems that the passes in this area are poorly executed. If that is the case then it’s hard to blame coaches.

Having said that if the coaches are not seeing or discovering this in practices then yes the blame can be shifted to them.

Cotton

Staff member
Shades of if this is the worst that happens to me, I have lived a pretty good life.
I thought the same thing. On one hand you could view it as him being fearless, which some say is what made him such a good returner in college. On the other hand it could be viewed as reckless.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Im hearing him say that he takes chances, and that sounds about right, after watching him for 4 games.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
This however begs the question, is the intermediate passing game lacking because they were not being deployed or does the QB just not complete this pass? I haven’t actually tallied the attempts but it seems that the passes in this area are poorly executed. If that is the case then it’s hard to blame coaches.

Having said that if the coaches are not seeing or discovering this in practices then yes the blame can be shifted to them.
We can't truly know why the intermediate passing game isn't working this year because we don't have the All-22 film to look at every play from the coaches view.

What we do know is that Dak's intermediate passing could be much better, so he's definitely missed some. At other times, we'll go long stretches without even throwing to that area of the field.

Is that Prescott's unwillingness to do so? Is he not reading the play properly? Are guys just not getting open on those routes -- and if so, is it because they can't gain separation or does our play design suck?

We can't truly know that, although I think it's safe to say that each and every one of these factors are to blame depending on the instance.

Coaching could definitely correct a lot of this because I've watched guys who really know their stuff when it comes to offense scheme guys open that were part of receiving groups with much less talent than ours. Just look at what Andy Reid has consistently done in Philly and KC. He had his own share of flaws, but all of his teams always had some of the better offenses in the league despite never having an elite passer or an elite WR with the exception of one season with T.O.

Sean Payton's offense is always good despite the Saints not having much receiving talent throughout his tenure.

Brady is amazing, but his WRs have never been much to speak of outside the 2007-2011 years of Moss and Welker.

The point is, we definitely have some limitations with our passing personnel, but if we were the beneficiaries of good coaching, our offense would and should be able to move the ball in the air consistently, but our coaching staff leaves much to be desired which results in the struggling passing offense we're seeing this season.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I still can't believe he wasn't better than a sixth round pick. NFL evaluations of safeties seems very flawed.
How soon before he plants Heath's ass on the bench? Soon, I hope.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How soon before he plants Heath's ass on the bench? Soon, I hope.
Shit, at this point he has shown more than any of our safeties on the roster. I'd play him before Frazier sees the field for sure. I'd play him over Heath as well.

Now I do recognize that Byron is sort of gone back to his jack knife role so there are plays again where 3 safeties are on the field. In those situations I guess Heath and Woods could be on the field together. Which is that more "limited" role that Heath seems to strive in.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We can't truly know why the intermediate passing game isn't working this year because we don't have the All-22 film to look at every play from the coaches view.

What we do know is that Dak's intermediate passing could be much better, so he's definitely missed some. At other times, we'll go long stretches without even throwing to that area of the field.
Is that Prescott's unwillingness to do so? Is he not reading the play properly? Are guys just not getting open on those routes -- and if so, is it because they can't gain separation or does our play design suck?

We can't truly know that, although I think it's safe to say that each and every one of these factors are to blame depending on the instance.

Coaching could definitely correct a lot of this because I've watched guys who really know their stuff when it comes to offense scheme guys open that were part of receiving groups with much less talent than ours. Just look at what Andy Reid has consistently done in Philly and KC. He had his own share of flaws, but all of his teams always had some of the better offenses in the league despite never having an elite passer or an elite WR with the exception of one season with T.O.

Sean Payton's offense is always good despite the Saints not having much receiving talent throughout his tenure.

Brady is amazing, but his WRs have never been much to speak of outside the 2007-2011 years of Moss and Welker.

The point is, we definitely have some limitations with our passing personnel, but if we were the beneficiaries of good coaching, our offense would and should be able to move the ball in the air consistently, but our coaching staff leaves much to be desired which results in the struggling passing offense we're seeing this season.
And that will work when Dallas has a seasoned Quarterback. I like the kid but he is still green in some areas and I fear the coaching staff is overly confident in him.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
When they've QB'ed the same team for the previous 10 years then yeah! Jesus, what kind of comment was this? Like Dak hadn't just stepped into this situation cold himself??

Don't try to play to the crowd, Hoff. It doesn't suit you.
Of course, it's not impossible for a QB to step in cold and play well. Dak proved that last year. Tom Brady proved that over a decade ago.

But it's not really a situation you should strive to repeat. The importance of having a consistent voice in the huddle and getting that work with the starters in practice every single day can't be overstated. It would have been ridiculous to go into another season with fragile Romo being that guy, knowing full well he wouldn't last more than a couple of weeks.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Of course, it's not impossible for a QB to step in cold and play well. Dak proved that last year. Tom Brady proved that over a decade ago.

But it's not really a situation you should strive to repeat. The importance of having a consistent voice in the huddle and getting that work with the starters in practice every single day can't be overstated. It would have been ridiculous to go into another season with fragile Romo being that guy, knowing full well he wouldn't last more than a couple of weeks.
Not this year, last year.

And Brady/Bledsoe was only superficially like Dak/Romo. In the Cowboys case Romo was a proven commodity while Bledsoe had just led his team to a 5-11 season as a full time starter. Brady had a defense!

The whole argument of Romo lasting a couple of weeks is silly. He was healed from his fluke back injury.

Tony Romo had led that team the entire offseason went 3-1 the previous year and 12-4 the previous year.

Who cares if he gets hurt again, you go for it because he's your best chance to win it all. You don't delude yourself into thinking Dak was Peyton Manning.

Top Bottom