Week 3 Game Day Chatter | Sunday Games | 9-24-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

data

Forbes #1
Raiders offense looks more pathetic than our Broncos outing.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
...and Romo-mendation on what the team should do is 99% pass. No surprise there.
Of the five or six times he stated his opinion on what the play should be, at least twice he called for runs, and he was right on each one. You don't run into a safety blitz. It's basic situational football.

Bottom line your QB has to make some tough throws to win on the road in the NFL. Damned true.

data

Forbes #1
Amazing defensive performance. With 2 turnovers inside the red zone, only 7 points is maybe more impressive than shutout without any turnovers.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not all in on Tony Romo yet. Seems like most already want to crown him the best color analyst in the business but he can be a bit irritating to me.

He has great insight but he talks way too much. He's supposed to compliment Nance's play-by-play not steamroll it. Nance tries to make a point about whats about to happen or what just happened, and he can barely get a word in because Romo will interrupt him and start going on one of his overexcited tangents. He needs to dial back his comments about 20% because if you listened to the game and didn't know who was doing what job in the booth, you'd have a hard time figuring out which person was the color analyst and which was the play-by-play man. He was stepping all over Nance's toes and ft I'm sure it had to bother a grizzled vet like Nance to some degree.

Also, I can do without him screaming at Aaron Rodgers telling him where to go with the ball. Really? You're going to tell a 2x NFL MVP, Super Bowl Champion, Super Bowl MVP, All-Pro quarterback what to do in crunch time? The guy who was responsible for numerous soul crushing Cowboys moments and who never made it past the Divisional Round of the playoffs is telling that guy where to go with the ball? Puhlease. I think Aaron Rodgers knows what he's doing out there.

Overall, I think he's fine. He's obviously still green at this and should get better over time. I just wanted to throw a dose of reality out there to break up the Romo slurp-fest.
Yeah he will learn.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm proud of myself. Since I started protesting all the NFL teams this week except for the one that expects his payers to stand for the Anthem, I haven't seen 1 minute of football today. But I'm watching tomorrow damnit!
Not watching will have little effect at least not to the extent of not going to the games. That will have the most immediate effect. Of course not watching will also register because of sponships but not as immediate.

midswat

... soon
Guess how much money @midswat is +\- with his NFL gambles thus far this season
a. +201 or more
b. -200 to +200
d. -201 or less
I've placed zero wagers.

Or

I've lost it all and I'm at the plasma clinic tryna get this 25 dollars to throw on a 5 team parlay.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Yesterday was "bizarro" NFL Sunday.

Up was down. Down was up.

Left was right. Right was left.

You get 1-2 of those Sundays every year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yesterday was "bizarro" NFL Sunday.

Up was down. Down was up.

Left was right. Right was left.

You get 1-2 of those Sundays every year.
I went 8-7 in pickem yesterday. Yes, it was a very weird Sunday.

Jag beat the Ravens.

Bills beat the Broncos.

Bears beat the Steelers!?!

Jets won... period?

0-2 Saints beat Panthers.

Redskins beat the Raiders by 17?

What in all that is holy??

Cotton

Staff member

Tomlin wasn't happy, btw.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not watching will have little effect at least not to the extent of not going to the games. That will have the most immediate effect. Of course not watching will also register because of sponships but not as immediate.
I don't think that fans not tuning in will matter much.

The NFL is still going to rake in billions.

I don't watch the NFL anywhere near as much as I used to and I know I can't be the only one, but that doesn't change how the NFL does business.

Like you said, if people stopped going to game then maybe that might change things up, but who knows?

I am curious, though. Between you and [MENTION=49]fortsbest[/MENTION], why does this bother you so much? Why is it such an uproar if black players kneel during the anthem?

I am a Hispanic male, so I obviously don't know what it's like to either be white or black. As a well-educated and well-behaved fair-skinned Hispanic, I can tell you that I fall into a peculiar group where most average white people accept me easier than they would a black male, but I'm still not white so I've also known the feeling where I either made someone uncomfortable or simply wasn't wanted in the presence of a white person.

I too have been treated with discrimination by the law.

So what I am trying to say is, I can see both side of this coin. I understand that members of the black community have far too often made their skin color to the be the primary reason for their circumstances when it was really due to something else, but I also know that white people, even those that claim that they are for equality, far too often dismiss legitimate acts of discrimination and injustice simply because they cannot relate.

And then you have people like Dabo Sweeney, the head coach of Clemson. For all intents and purposes, Dabo seems like a good man. He obviously surrounds himself with people of all colors and race, and he's open about his Christian faith. But even he said that "players need to go about it another way". I know he and others like him mean well, but it's another glaring example of how lots of white people just don't get it.

Go about it another way? Well, what way is that? People who face injustice and discrimination can't continue to knock on the door softly and kindly ask if someone could please look into their issues because history has proven that time and time again that this approach never works. You have to make people uncomfortable before they finally open their eyes and are forced to take action. And it's very clear to me that all of these black athletes across multiple sports kneeling for the anthem sure is making a lot of people uncomfortable.

White people don't want to see blacks take racially-divisive or violence-inducing action like the type Malcolm X was known for or that BLM does know, but then players peacefully protesting during the anthem doesn't work for them either.

So what's it gonna be? Sit in your corner and we'll get to you when we can?

So again, I ask you and others, why does this have you so upset that it's making you not want to watch games? If you and people of your race and your community were going through a period where the government you pay taxes to and support was not taking enough action to help resolve the social and racial issues that you've endured over the last few years, then why on earth would you expect that same group to blindly and whole-heartedly support that same government?

It's not intended to be a disrespect to the flag, it's intended to send a message of "We want the same equality and justice afforded to us that others are afforded to others. If this is what we have to do to bring that conversation to a table that matters, then so be it."

So why is this such an awful thing?

Maybe this isn't the right place for this conversation, but I have to ask.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member

Eesh.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't think that fans not tuning in will matter much.

The NFL is still going to rake in billions.

I don't watch the NFL anywhere near as much as I used to and I know I can't be the only one, but that doesn't change how the NFL does business.

Like you said, if people stopped going to game then maybe that might change things up, but who knows?

I am curious, though. Between you and [MENTION=49]fortsbest[/MENTION], why does this bother you so much? Why is it such an uproar if black players kneel during the anthem?

I am a Hispanic male, so I obviously don't know what it's like to either be white or black. As a well-educated and well-behaved fair-skinned Hispanic, I can tell you that I fall into a peculiar group where most average white people accept me easier than they would a black male, but I'm still not white so I've also known the feeling where I either made someone uncomfortable or simply wasn't wanted in the presence of a white person.

I too have been treated with discrimination by the law.

So what I am trying to say is, I can see both side of this coin. I understand that members of the black community have far too often made their skin color to the be the primary reason for their circumstances when it was really due to something else, but I also know that white people, even those that claim that they are for equality, far too often dismiss legitimate acts of discrimination and injustice simply because they cannot relate.

And then you have people like Dabo Sweeney, the head coach of Clemson. For all intents and purposes, Dabo seems like a good man. He obviously surrounds himself with people of all colors and race, and he's open about his Christian faith. But even he said that "players need to go about it another way". I know he and others like him mean well, but it's another glaring example of how lots of white people just don't get it.

Go about it another way? Well, what way is that? People who face injustice and discrimination can't continue to knock on the door softly and kindly ask if someone could please look into their issues because history has proven that time and time again that this approach never works. You have to make people uncomfortable before they finally open their eyes and are forced to take action. And it's very clear to me that all of these black athletes across multiple sports kneeling for the anthem sure is making a lot of people uncomfortable.

White people don't want to see blacks take racially-divisive or violence-inducing action like the type Malcolm X was known for or that BLM does know, but then players peacefully protesting during the anthem doesn't work for them either.

So what's it gonna be? Sit in your corner and we'll get to you when we can?

So again, I ask you and others, why does this have you so upset that it's making you not want to watch games? If you and people of your race and your community were going through a period where the government you pay taxes to and support was not taking enough action to help resolve the social and racial issues that you've endured over the last few years, then why on earth would you expect that same group to blindly and whole-heartedly support that same government?

It's not intended to be a disrespect to the flag, it's intended to send a message of "We want the same equality and justice afforded to us that others are afforded to others. If this is what we have to do to bring that conversation to a table that matters, then so be it."

So why is this such an awful thing?

Maybe this isn't the right place for this conversation, but I have to ask.
Why it bothers most of us is that aside from politics the flag represents both the nation and those who have sacrificed to keep this nation a free country. The precident is the inspiration for the national anthem where many died to keep the flag upright. From that time forward many others have died to insure the flag remained a victorious symbol. The Iwo Jima memorial is another example of those who sacrificed to show that the flag was symbolic of the nation and freedom.

If someone has a grievance about their personal plight there are many means to show their disapproval. Protests are one of them but to disrespect the national symbol and those who sacrificed for it is wrongly directed. The sacrafices have included many ethnic individuals for the national symbol. It is attacking something that is not responsible for other wrong doings. Protest against the national symbol for ones personal and individual plight is everyone's right but an attack on the nations symbol it the highest of disrespect for those who sacrificed for the symbol.

This hasn't made me not want to watch games it just gets my jaws tight.

I might add there are civil rights laws to deal with inequeties.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Why it bothers most of us is that aside from politics the flag represents both the nation and those who have sacrificed to keep this nation a free country. The precident is the inspiration for the national anthem where many died to keep the flag upright. From that time forward many others have died to insure the flag remained a victorious symbol. The Iwo Jima memorial is another example of those who sacrificed to show that the flag was symbolic of the nation and freedom.

If someone has a grievance about their personal plight there are many means to show their disapproval. Protests are one of them but to disrespect the national symbol and those who sacrificed for it is wrongly directed. The sacrafices have included many ethnic individuals for the national symbol. It is attacking something that is not responsible for other wrong doings. Protest against the national symbol for ones personal and individual plight is everyone's right but an attack on the nations symbol it the highest of disrespect for those who sacrificed for the symbol.

This hasn't made me not want to watch games it just gets my jaws tight.

I might add there are civil rights laws to deal with inequeties.
Thank you for the reply, and I can appreciate and respect your stance on the matter.

I don't see the kneeling for the anthem as this blatantly disrespectful act that others do, but I also know what the flag means to certain people so I understand why it wouldn't sit well with you.

My cousin is a veteran. He had a severe case of PTSD when he returned home. He gave a lot for this country and big part of who he was is never coming back. You don't do something like that unless you love your country.

His stance on the matter?

"I wouldn't dare kneel for the anthem, EVER. Not after the price I've paid and the friends I've lost. But I don't have a problem with the players doing it because it's one of the rights I fought for. You can't conveniently pick and choose which part of the constitution you want to uphold. If you want to fight for the right to bear arms, you can't then turn around and be mad at the person who protests against discrimination in the peaceful manner that this government affords them."

I guess for me it goes back to peaceful protesting and doing so in a way that makes people uncomfortable. This obviously has made a lot of people uncomfortable and it is drawing a lot of attention to a very serious issue.

This would not be accomplished if they rallied as a group in downtown Chicago or whatever.

If this helps to brings conversations to a table that are long overdue, I'm all for it.

It's certainly better than watching BLM act like imbeciles on a highway.

vince

Not So New Member

Tomlin wasn't happy, btw.
Was this reported or just your assumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom