Week 2 Game Day Chatter | Giants at Cowboys| 9-16-2018

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
seems to make little difference this year. Which is nice.
Yep, makes it so we don't have to dread his imminent injury. Looks like we will be just fine without him.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Outside of zeke, Austin looks like our best playmaker so yes, much more of Austin would be nice.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's pretty exceptional. I love the quick scoring drives but this team is built on these types of drives. Drain the clock, rest the defense, score a TD and play keep away with the ball.

Cotton

Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah I'm not even suggesting tanking necessarily. Just that I'd rather go young and unproven then pay big bucks for a mediocre QB. I haven't totally made up my mind on Dak like that yet though. I think people under rate what it means to have a QB who can run like he does. Rushing yards and rushing TD's from a QB seem to be a hidden stat to the extent that most don't consider it when judging their performance. But the 15 yard QB run moves the chain just as well as the 15 yard pass. We really need to go out and put some real resources at WR and TE after this year though. I'm all for drafting one or both fairly early in the draft. At worst they will be there for the next QB.
A QB passing is more valuable than a QB running, because a pass downfield makes the defense play with depth.

It's one of the reasons why we don't see QBs who can run but can't pass win very often.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

:lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
A QB passing is more valuable than a QB running, because a pass downfield makes the defense play with depth.

It's one of the reasons why we don't see QBs who can run but can't pass win very often.
The NFL is changing. You're seeing a lot more athletic QBs and many more plays that threaten the QB run. So I'm not really sure that's true anymore. Especially when a running QB forces the defense to take defenders out of coverage and key on the QB as opposed to the RBs or WR's. If you can consistently run for 15 yards or pass for 15 yards a coach will always take the run. There is less risk involved. Obviously you can only do it so much with a QB before it becomes predictable. But I don't think it's true that a 15 yard pass is inherently better than a 15 yard run. In a lot of ways it's the opposite. You still have to be able to pass the ball though. I don't think either of us are talking about an offense that can't pass at all. Otherwise defenses wouldn't even bother with corners.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

:lol
My wife saw the replay of that last night and just totally cracked up laughing. She doesn't even really like football but that face was so priceless. And he held it that way for awhile.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Kinda insane. The guy is like an 1100 yard season machine.

Cotton

Staff member

Well, I'll be.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Yea I get it, I'm just saying there's alot of factors that go into making a decision on Dak and that it's not just a matter of "Is he a top 10 QB? No? Bye."

Theoretically I'm fine with tanking when it looks like a QB class is going to be strong like 2020 but I just don't think it's realistic. We might as well discuss whether or not we want to trade three 1st rounders for Aaron Rodgers.
The problem is that that the colleges simply don't supply enough good QBs to stock 32 teams. So by definition, at least half the teams are going to have the 15th best starter -- or worse. Even a draft rich in QB talent is still a crap shoot. And there will always be a number of teams paying too much for a QB who's not worth it, and a who's drain on the salary cap.

No easy answer, but the idea that the draft is a magic wand for QBs is not a solution to having a mediocre QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem is that that the colleges simply don't supply enough good QBs to stock 32 teams. So by definition, at least half the teams are going to have the 15th best starter -- or worse. Even a draft rich in QB talent is still a crap shoot. And there will always be a number of teams paying too much for a QB who's not worth it, and a who's drain on the salary cap.

No easy answer, but the idea that the draft is a magic wand for QBs is not a solution to having a mediocre QB.
No but I'm not sure the answer is to pay a non franchise QB franchise type money. The system plays a lot into it as well. It's why some QBs will light it up with one team and then look like total shit with another. I'm not sure what the answer is but I don't want to be stuck in mediocrity because we are paying our QB a huge some of money yet he isn't capable of carrying the team without lots of talent around him.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wilson plays really well when he diagnosis the play correctly. His biggest problem in my opinion is that he is easily fooled by misdirection. Happened a ton against the Panthers but the Giants aren't nearly as complicated to defend. A nice player to have as a fourth LBer but not necessarily who I want starting.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
No but I'm not sure the answer is to pay a non franchise QB franchise type money. The system plays a lot into it as well. It's why some QBs will light it up with one team and then look like total shit with another. I'm not sure what the answer is but I don't want to be stuck in mediocrity because we are paying our QB a huge some of money yet he isn't capable of carrying the team without lots of talent around him.
And it makes you wonder how well Jerry and the Idiot Son will handle this. Mahomes got picked 10th overall and then they incubated him until he was ready. And then they got a good deal in return for Smith.

I always come back to how it isn't the individual pieces getting moved around on the chessboard; it's the people doing the moving -- Jerry and the Idiot Son.

What are the chances of them moving the pieces around to come up with someone better than Dak?

Top Bottom