Week 2 Game Day Chatter | Giants at Cowboys| 9-16-2018

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
When your QB runs like a RB you can. Maybe not 10 times a game. But let's not pretend like it's Troy Aikman back there running the ball. Dak looks like he is built like a big powerful RB.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
The key isn't to consistently serve Dak up as a runner.

The key is to consistently make the defense believe we MIGHT do it.

More and more every day I come to the conclusion that Stephen his dumber than his daddy.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
And, Damien Wilson....

I actually saw Charlton drop one time into coverage and carry OBJ about 15 yards downfield until Lee helped out by bracketing him. Obviously Charlton wasn't in man coverage but he was running with him 1 on 1 for a good 10-15 yards before passing him off to Lee.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Dak at 700,000 or whatever he is making is a steal. But yeah I'm hesitant to give any QB significant money unless they are elite. I never understood the concept that an average or below average QB should still get 15 mil. And that's not me saying anything negative about Dak. But I have a hard time giving any QB 15-20 mil unless I know he is a top 10 QB.

But there is still plenty of time to find out about Dak, I wouldn't rush to anything. I'm also not convinced that someone else is just going to step into Dallas and light it up. Our scheme is clearly not QB friendly in that fashion.
There are literally 16 QB's with contracts averaging 20 or more per year, two years from now that number will be larger. Paying Dak 20 a year two years from now would probably make him somewhere around the 18th-20th highest paid QB in the league.

That seems fair even if he doesn't improve, although if the strategy were to let him walk and tank for a top pick/elite prospect I'd understand that too, I just know that isn't happening.

vince

Not So New Member
When your QB runs like a RB you can. Maybe not 10 times a game. But let's not pretend like it's Troy Aikman back there running the ball. Dak looks like he is built like a big powerful RB.
Yea totally disagree with what Stephen said there. Dak is a running type of QB. He's a tank.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Cam has averaged about 7-8 rushes a game for his entire career, I think if we run Dak somewhere around 5-7 times a game it's more than reasonable.

As mentioned, Dak isn't a thin 6-2, 210 RGIII, he's built much more like Newton and is probably thicker because he's shorter.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are literally 16 QB's with contracts averaging 20 or more per year, two years from now that number will be larger. Paying Dak 20 a year two years from now would probably make him somewhere around the 18th-20th highest paid QB in the league.

That seems fair even if he doesn't improve, although if the strategy were to let him walk and tank for a top pick/elite prospect I'd understand that too, I just know that isn't happening.
I don't disagree that 20 mil is fair. But what I'm wondering is if it actually financially makes sense. Are you better off going with a young QB making 1 mil a year or with a veteran who is maybe the 15th best starter in the NFL (Totally just a hypothetical ranking) and paying him 20 mil a season. You just see so many NFL teams strapped with a big contract on a QB who can't seem to move up at all. I don't want to be stuck with Matthew Stafford who throws for a gazillion yards but can't win games consistently and makes too much money to build an awesome roster around him.

Eli Manning is counting 22 mil against the Giants cap this season. What's the point of that? At best they could accomplish a mediocre season. And now you've wasted the equivalent of a franchise position player had you gone with a young QB.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Hate Garrett all you will (and we will), but the Landry hitch is awesome and should be permanent.
Just now remembering to respond to this. Yes, it is awesome, but IIRC, it was the players on the team at the time that initiated the Hitch. Garrett knew nothing about it, so I'm not even giving him credit for that.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
I actually saw Charlton drop one time into coverage and carry OBJ about 15 yards downfield until Lee helped out by bracketing him. Obviously Charlton wasn't in man coverage but he was running with him 1 on 1 for a good 10-15 yards before passing him off to Lee.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member