Week 11 Game Day Chatter |Cowboys @ Falcons | 11-18-2018

p1_

DCC 4Life

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
And this is why people aren't quick to get all giddy because he makes a few decent plays in a game.

You cannot and will not win consistently at the NFL level, especially as you get into January, if 200 yards is the most you can hope for on a weekly basis and you can't complete a single pass over 10 yards in a game.

I don't know why this is so hard to grasp for those who want to support Dak.

the members of this forum might have differing opinions but I think the vast majority of us have a solid understanding of the game of football, so I know that they know this sort of play from the quarterback position will never be good enough to win big.

That's not up for debate.
Quincy. Fucking. Carter. That’s who Dak is.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Did yall see the gruesome Theismann like injury to Alex Smith? It was bad.
The more important question is ...do we know if the Lemmings over at ES are plunging headfirst off the cliff?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

He should have been credited with two tackles on that play.

:towel

p1_

DCC 4Life

I'd say we know who WR2 is and who it isn't.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Quincy. Fucking. Carter. That’s who Dak is.
I don't agree that he's Quincy Carter, but yeah, Dak went through a stretch this year where he was that bad. He had a similar rating through like a 3 or 4 game stretch or something where his rating was basically exactly Carter's, who played in an era where that rating was much better looking than it is today.

Dak has games like the Eagles last week or Atlanta yesterday where he looks "good enough" to be a long term starter, but even these last two weeks, come on, the eye test tells you that despite high completion percentages, low turnovers, and a scoring average of 24.5 points per game between the two matches, he is just not on the same tier as the best starters in this league. I don't care what his QBR is -- he's just not getting the production. He's not generating enough passing yards or enough passing scores. QBR, unfortunately, doesn't take into account "usage" (for lack of a better term) so his low exposure is not being dinged when it measures him. But just because he doesn't take many chances and doesn't throw tons of incompletes or turnovers, doesn't tell the whole story on him.

He's got 11 touchdowns, which maybe could be explained if Elliott was cannibalizing those numbers -- except he's not, because Elliott has 4 TDs rushing this year, which is kinda awful for a guy like him. We just aren't scoring, which means, we aren't getting the ball into the redzone enough, and given that Elliott is second in the league in rushing (despite some perceived struggles for him and the OL this year), that should tell that story.

Dak's 213 yards passing per game is the culprit. You can talk all you want about how passing yards don't "correlate" to wins, but again, the almost certain reason that they don't is because most teams these days trot out QBs capable of throwing for 250 every week. So when one QB throws for 240 and wins and the other QB throws for 250 and loses, that doesn't match up with correlation.

But I guaran-damn-tee that if you sort those stats to find if there was a correlation between winning (or losing) and throwing for less than 200 yards, yeah, you'd find a much different "correlation" than simple "more passing yards equals wins" correlation numbers.

And the problem is, Dak has way too many afternoons where he struggles to crack 200 yards passing. The days that he can get up into that 220-240 range, like, oh, I dunno, the last 2 weeks, the offense looks decently competent.

The weeks he can't, the offense looks like ass.

You can't explain this away. You can try. But simply saying "passing yards don't correlate to wins," just means you are burying your head in the sand.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'd say we know who WR2 is and who it isn't.
Can we stop with the fake bullshit of starting Hurns already?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think we try so few it's hard to tell. I know earlier in the year he actually completed a pretty high percentage of them comparatively. But when you attempt so few you may miss the only 2 attempts you even try. The last few games he has been off on the deep ball it seems.
Over the top deep passes should be among the easiest to complete because the WR can better adjust the catch because the ball is in the air longer.

What Dak can not do is look off safeties and create in the deep middle. Guys have to be fing wide open for us to go there. He also can’t lead guys into open field for big YAC.

He’s got heart which I greatly appreciate, but sometimes that isn’t enough.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
That was huge. If we kick the ball back to ATL, I don't have to tell you what happens.

Cotton

Staff member

I must have missed this. Did he come back into the game?

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom