Week 10 Game Day Chatter | Cowboys @ Falcons | 11-12-2017

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Romo and Dak carried us.
That's the above-average talent we were talking about. NoDak said below average results with above average talent.

I say above average results with above average talent.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That is not true, but I'm not getting your point. Green isn't a starter here.
I meant he didn't start again for 2 years. Meaning, Reid benched his ass. Green should no longer be on this team, and he damn sure should never start again. But, you watch Garrett march him back out there again this week.

Cotton

Staff member
12-4. 13-3.
There is one thing in common with those two years that the other year does not share. Great QB play. Belicheck wins in spite of having to play with backups. Garrett can't adjust when all he does is lose one OL.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I meant he didn't start again for 2 years. Meaning, Reid benched his ass. Green should no longer be on this team, and he damn sure should never start again. But, you watch Garrett march him back out there again this week.
Again, much of what you are saying is not true. Justice was not a starter at the time to begin with, he was an injury replacement (like Green). But Reid didn't banish him or cut him, in fact Justice was back on the field the following week and multiple other times that same season (2007). Then again the following season he had multiple appearances. Then in 2009 he became a full time starter.

So.... I'm missing the point that you think Reid's treatment of Justice (a second round pick) should mean that Garrett is only justified by never playing Green (a third round pick) again or cutting him.

I'm not saying that wouldn't be the right treatment of Green -- maybe he should be benched. I'm just saying that's not how Reid treated the guy that it happened to under his watch. He didn't give Justice help, and he didn't bench or banish Justice forever.

I'm also not sure we have a better option. Playing Bell just to punish Green doesn't seem like a realistic option; Green has played much better in the past. What we really need is for Tyron to get back.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There is one thing in common with those two years that the other year does not share.
Having a healthy starting caliber QB, RB and WR? Cause we were missing all three of those in 2015.

Belicheck wins
Conversation over.

Yes, Garrett is nowhere in Belichick's league. Not even close. So any comparison to Belichick is a non starter and has no bearing on any point I'm making.

Cotton

Staff member
Again, much of what you are saying is not true. Justice was not a starter at the time to begin with, he was an injury replacement (like Green). But Reid didn't banish him or cut him, in fact Justice was back on the field the following week and multiple other times that same season (2007). Then again the following season he had multiple appearances. Then in 2009 he became a full time starter.

So.... I'm missing the point that you think Reid's treatment of Justice (a second round pick) should mean that Garrett is only justified by never playing Green again or cutting him.

I'm not saying that wouldn't be the right treatment of Green -- maybe he should be benched. I'm just saying that's not how Reid treated the guy that it happened to under his watch. He didn't give Justice help, and he didn't bench or banish Justice forever.

I'm also not sure we have a better option. Playing Bell just to punish Green doesn't seem like a realistic option; Green has played much better in the past. What we really need is for Tyron to get back.
I'm not saying he "benched or banished Winston" forever, but he damn sure did bench him. And, he didn't start him for the rest of the season. That's how a coach sends a message for poor play. Garrett never does that. The fact that he benched him in the 4th quarter was surprising all in itself. Let's see if he keeps on the bench against the Eagles.

midswat

... soon
How anyone can defend Garrett anymore is beyond me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yes, Garrett is nowhere in Belichick's league. Not even close. So any comparison to Belichick is a non starter and has no bearing on any point I'm making.
What point is that?

Unless there is a HoF coach out there to grab, there is no reason to shitcan the loser?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not saying he "benched or banished Winston" forever, but he damn sure did bench him. And, he didn't start him for the rest of the season.
Yeah, but Justice wasn't a starter anyway. He was an injury replacement that game. The next game, I think the starter was back. And Justice did in fact appear in the next game, so he wasn't kept stapled on the bench.

So it would be like if Tyron came back, and Green went back to the bench, but then Green continued to get called on for spot duty the rest of the year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm not saying he "benched or banished Winston" forever, but he damn sure did bench him. And, he didn't start him for the rest of the season. That's how a coach sends a message for poor play. Garrett never does that. The fact that he benched him in the 4th quarter was surprising all in itself. Let's see if he keeps on the bench against the Eagles.
Winston didn't make another start for 2 years after his debacle.

Garrett will march Green's soft fat sweaty ass out there again Sunday night in a do or die game for us.

So there's that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What point is that?

Unless there is a HoF coach out there to grab, there is no reason to shitcan the loser?
Hall of Fame? No.

But I wouldn't fire him without having reached out to a guy who is a clear upgrade. I'm not firing, appointing Marinelli interim, and then having a search that might result in, like, Steve Spagnuolo.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hall of Fame? No.

But I wouldn't fire him without having reached out to a guy who is a clear upgrade. I'm not firing, appointing Marinelli interim, and then having a search that might result in, like, Steve Spagnuolo.
Would you have considered Sean McVay a "clear upgrade"? Yet he is doing in one year what Garrett has taken damn near a decade to implement his "process".

No, you are expecting some veteran coach that you approve of to come available.

Or of course, McDaniels and the "TRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEE".

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He wasn't a starter at that point anyway.
That was not the issue. He was so shitty, he never started again for two years. Reid didn't need to be kicked in his fat balls twice.

Bet your boy Garrett starts him again.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
But that isn't what happened here.

We have a 12-4 finish and a 13-3 finish in which we were among the last remaining 8 teams standing.

Far from claiming the bye as a "playoff win," the fact of the matter is, we have gotten closer to the Super Bowl than 3/4ths of the other teams in the league in two of the past three years.

That's above average, there is no other way to describe it.
You can put as much lipstick on this pig as you'd like. Still doesn't change the fact that this team is a chronic underachiever and hasn't done shit when it counts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom