Trump fires FBI Director James Comey.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
:lol

Your pathological need to defend him is comical at this point.
It was a question to you since you raised the issue of standards. Do you have any one President you would like to be the role model.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you said the Cowboys are a better team in 2016 than the Redskins, would the fact that you're a homer invalidate actual facts. Or do you believe it's more correct to say the Cowboys and Redskins were exactly as good in 2016 because both sets of fan bases are biased. No, because that's stupid. Bias doesn't invalidate fact.
You feel your right not because both sides aren't wrong. You feel like you're on the right side because you believe your side to be "less wrong." When the truth is you're both wrong. It's like arguing that the Bears were better than the Browns last year. When in reality they both sucked. That's a much better comparison. Your bias doesn't invalidate anything, it explains why you can't see the forrest through the trees.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think you'd vote for a democrat under any circumstances, so let's not pretend you're impartial or independent.
I didn't vote for either party because I'm not a homer like some and I felt like both choices were bad. I don't believe that voting for the lesser of two evils is any less evil.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
It was a question to you since you raised the issue of standards. Do you have any one President you would like to be the role model.
Strictly from the way he presented himself as the leader of the country I'd say the last one was just fine.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Strictly from the way he presented himself as the leader of the country I'd say the last one was just fine.
We can remain friends, but you are pushing it, buddy!

townsend

Banned
You feel your right not because both sides aren't wrong. You feel like you're on the right side because you believe your side to be "less wrong." When the truth is you're both wrong. It's like arguing that the Bears were better than the Browns last year. When in reality they both sucked. That's a much better comparison. Your bias doesn't invalidate anything, it explains why you can't see the forrest through the trees.
It's still a truer statement that "there is some evidence with the Trump Campaign's collusion with Russia"

Than "Believing that the Trump Campaign colluded with Russia is like believing in birtherism."

My opinion is more grounded in fact that yours.

So if we both acknowledge we have biases. (As does everyone) I submit that yours is more blinding.

If Trump spends 100 million on golf vacations, he's "Just as bad" as Obama according to you.

Because, nothing can worse than being a democrat.

In an alternate universe where a fringe left kook candidate like Jill Stein is the democrat nominee, and a moderate like Romney was running as the Republican. I believe we both would vote for Romney. Because I'm not constrained by my bias to conflate one candidate's flaws as to make them equal, even if the better candidate is the nominee of my least favorite party.

It's better to not see the forest for the trees, than to have made up your mind on the forest with out ever having looked at a tree.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's still a truer statement that "there is some evidence with the Trump Campaign's collusion with Russia"

Than "Believing that the Trump Campaign colluded with Russia is like believing in birtherism."

My opinion is more grounded in fact that yours.

So if we both acknowledge we have biases. (As does everyone) I submit that yours is more blinding.

If Trump spends 100 million on golf vacations, he's "Just as bad" as Obama according to you.

Because, nothing can worse than being a democrat.

In an alternate universe where a fringe left kook candidate like Jill Stein is the democrat nominee, and a moderate like Romney was running as the Republican. I believe we both would vote for Romney. Because I'm not constrained by my bias to conflate one candidate's flaws as to make them equal, even if the better candidate is the nominee of my least favorite party.

It's better to not see the forest for the trees, than to have made up your mind on the forest with out ever having looked at a tree.
But you are taking it one step further and tieing the possible parties in the campaign who haven't been blamed so far as being Trump himself and assessing guilt to him through this non event so far. Now how objective is that? Further you are automatically assuming the possible collusion as if it were already a factual event.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
When asked about Trump saying that he thought about the Russian probe while making the decision on Comey, James Clapper quite literally said that he thinks that "our institutions are under assault internally", referring to the President, and that the system of checks and balances are "under assault and are eroding".

This is coming from someone who was a director of various I.C. agencies under both Bush administrations, as well as Obama.

But I guess I'll just take the word of the Trump fan boys that everything is A-OK, business as usual and we should just move on to more important things.

The blind partisanship and to put it bluntly, blatant idiocy and lack of intelligence, that pervades this entire country right now is disgusting to me.

townsend

Banned
When asked about Trump saying that he thought about the Russian probe while making the decision on Comey, James Clapper quite literally said that he thinks that "our institutions are under assault internally", referring to the President, and that the system of checks and balances are "under assault and are eroding".

This is coming from someone who was a director of various I.C. agencies under both Bush administrations, as well as Obama.

But I guess I'll just take the word of the Trump fan boys that everything is A-OK, business as usual and we should just move on to more important things.

The blind partisanship and to put it bluntly, blatant idiocy and lack of intelligence, that pervades this entire country right now is disgusting to me.
I was reading some Nate Silver research and he mentioned that the percentage of people who said they "strongly supported" the president has gone down. So that's good.

I can't help but feel like the Republicans sitting on this and refusing to break ranks is the problem. It doesn't feel real as long as Mitch McConnel and Paul Ryan continue to pretend like this is normal.

Cable news is to blame too. One day after Trump commits an impeachable offense, they're doing the same routine on Trump's ice cream eating habits. Because CNN is produced like a shitty reality show.

townsend

Banned
A recent WSJ poll said that 78% of Americans want an independent investigation. So at least some of Trump's base believes something is up.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

The same Clapper stated in march that the Bush campaign was not involved and cleared of any involvement with the Russians. Guess it depends on which day of the week you ask him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The same Clapper stated in march that the Bush campaign was not involved and cleared of any involvement with the Russians. Guess it depends on which day of the week you ask him.
Your inability to differentiate between that comment and this comment shows me that all of this simply a game of political scorekeeping for you, as I imagined.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Your inability to differentiate between that comment and this comment shows me that all of this simply a game of political scorekeeping for you, as I imagined.
And you inability to see my point about an individual who can say one thing on one day and do a 190 take on another day is equally as puzzling. On the one hand he states there isn't a problem with this group and then prophesies doomsday and attributes it to the same person.

townsend

Banned
President Donald Trump claimed that former U.S. Director of National Intelligence James Clapper has definitively said the Trump campaign did not collude in Moscow’s interference with the 2016 election.

Trump used his take on Clapper’s remarks as proof positive the FBI’s ongoing Russia probe is a witch hunt.

"When James Clapper himself, and virtually everyone else with knowledge of the witch hunt, says there is no collusion, when does it end?" Trump said in a May 12 tweet.

Clapper’s comments have not been as definitive as Trump said. Later that day, Clapper directly contradicted Trump’s claim in a TV interview.

Here’s why Trump’s take is misleading.

Trump mischaracterizes Clapper’s statement

Trump appears to be referring to Clapper’s statement in a Meet The Press interview March 5 that he had no knowledge of improper contacts between the Trump campaign and Russian officials.

Two months earlier, Clapper’s office released a report that expressed with "high confidence" that the Russian government interfered with the U.S. presidential election in favor of Trump. As Clapper stated in his interview, however, the report did not include evidence of collusion. Chuck Todd of NBC asked him about that.

Todd: "Does intelligence exist that can definitively answer the following question, whether there were improper contacts between the Trump campaign and Russian officials?"

Clapper: "We did not include any evidence in our report, and I say, ‘our,’ that's NSA, FBI and CIA, with my office, the Director of National Intelligence, that had anything, that had any reflection of collusion between members of the Trump campaign and the Russians. There was no evidence of that included in our report."

Todd: "I understand that. But does it exist?"

Clapper: "Not to my knowledge."

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., quoted Clapper’s exchange on Meet The Press in a May 8 Senate Judiciary subcommittee hearing on Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and asked if it was still accurate. Clapper responded, "It is."

In his May 12 tweet, Trump referenced the judgment of "virtually everyone else" with knowledge.

But some officials with knowledge of the FBI’s Russia probe have publicly declined to say there’s no evidence of collusion, citing ongoing investigations.

During a March 20 hearing on Russian interference in 2016 election, recently ousted FBI Director James Comey and NSA Director Admiral Mike Rogers refused to comment when asked specifically about whether the Trump campaign cooperated with Moscow.

But when asked in general terms about whether or not any evidence exists, Comey explained that a case of this nature would have to reach a certain evidentiary threshold, and be considered high priority, before the bureau launched an investigation.

Comey described the standard as, "a credible allegation of wrongdoing or reasonable basis to believe that an American may be acting as an agent of a foreign power." He added the central focus of the investigation would also have to align with "threats that the FBI is trying to prioritize (under) limited resources."

Clapper: 'I don’t know if there was collusion or not'

Asked about Trump’s tweet in a May 12 interview on MSNBC, Clapper explained that the director of national intelligence position would not necessarily offer a vantage point into FBI evidence.

Clapper said that in his more than six years as DNI, he regularly deferred to the FBI when a counterintelligence investigation could possibly morph into a criminal investigation.

"That was certainly the practice I followed here," he said of the FBI’s ongoing Russia investigation. "So it’s not surprising or abnormal that I would not have known about the investigation, or even more importantly, the content of that investigation.

"So I don’t know if there was collusion or not," added Clapper, who resigned at the end of President Barack Obama’s term.

Later in the interview, Clapper was asked if he agrees with Trump that the Russian investigation is a "witch hunt," to which he replied, "I don’t believe it is."

Instead, Clapper compared it to a "dark cloud" that would continue to linger until the investigation is complete.

"What needs to happen here is to clear this cloud that’s hanging over the administration, over the president, the White House," he said. "It would be in everyone’s best interest to get to the bottom of this."

Our ruling

Trump said, "When James Clapper himself, and virtually everyone else with knowledge of the witch hunt, says there is no collusion, when does it end?"

Some of the public statements by those with knowledge of the FBI investigation do not support Trump’s claim that "virtually everyone" privy to the probe says there’s no evidence of collusion. While Comey has not described specific evidence, he has confirmed that sufficient credible information exists for the FBI to consider the Russia probe a high enough priority to warrant an investigation.

As for Clapper’s statement, it’s apparent Trump has twisted the former DNI’s words to make it appear as if he’s ruled out the possibility that evidence exists showing the Trump campaign colluded with Russian interlopers during the 2016 election. But Clapper’s statement was that he had no knowledge of collusion -- not that collusion didn’t occur. Clapper has since stated that his capacity as DNI would not necessarily give him the kind of access to the FBI investigation that one would need in order to determine whether or not evidence of collusion exists.

We rate Trump’s statement Mostly False.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
President Donald Trump claimed that former U.S. Director of National Intelligence James Clapper has definitively said the Trump campaign did not collude in Moscow’s interference with the 2016 election.

Trump used his take on Clapper’s remarks as proof positive the FBI’s ongoing Russia probe is a witch hunt.

"When James Clapper himself, and virtually everyone else with knowledge of the witch hunt, says there is no collusion, when does it end?" Trump said in a May 12 tweet.

Clapper’s comments have not been as definitive as Trump said. Later that day, Clapper directly contradicted Trump’s claim in a TV interview.

Here’s why Trump’s take is misleading.

Trump mischaracterizes Clapper’s statement

Trump appears to be referring to Clapper’s statement in a Meet The Press interview March 5 that he had no knowledge of improper contacts between the Trump campaign and Russian officials.

Two months earlier, Clapper’s office released a report that expressed with "high confidence" that the Russian government interfered with the U.S. presidential election in favor of Trump. As Clapper stated in his interview, however, the report did not include evidence of collusion. Chuck Todd of NBC asked him about that.

Todd: "Does intelligence exist that can definitively answer the following question, whether there were improper contacts between the Trump campaign and Russian officials?"

Clapper: "We did not include any evidence in our report, and I say, ‘our,’ that's NSA, FBI and CIA, with my office, the Director of National Intelligence, that had anything, that had any reflection of collusion between members of the Trump campaign and the Russians. There was no evidence of that included in our report."

Todd: "I understand that. But does it exist?"

Clapper: "Not to my knowledge."

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., quoted Clapper’s exchange on Meet The Press in a May 8 Senate Judiciary subcommittee hearing on Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and asked if it was still accurate. Clapper responded, "It is."

In his May 12 tweet, Trump referenced the judgment of "virtually everyone else" with knowledge.

But some officials with knowledge of the FBI’s Russia probe have publicly declined to say there’s no evidence of collusion, citing ongoing investigations.

During a March 20 hearing on Russian interference in 2016 election, recently ousted FBI Director James Comey and NSA Director Admiral Mike Rogers refused to comment when asked specifically about whether the Trump campaign cooperated with Moscow.

But when asked in general terms about whether or not any evidence exists, Comey explained that a case of this nature would have to reach a certain evidentiary threshold, and be considered high priority, before the bureau launched an investigation.

Comey described the standard as, "a credible allegation of wrongdoing or reasonable basis to believe that an American may be acting as an agent of a foreign power." He added the central focus of the investigation would also have to align with "threats that the FBI is trying to prioritize (under) limited resources."

Clapper: 'I don’t know if there was collusion or not'

Asked about Trump’s tweet in a May 12 interview on MSNBC, Clapper explained that the director of national intelligence position would not necessarily offer a vantage point into FBI evidence.

Clapper said that in his more than six years as DNI, he regularly deferred to the FBI when a counterintelligence investigation could possibly morph into a criminal investigation.

"That was certainly the practice I followed here," he said of the FBI’s ongoing Russia investigation. "So it’s not surprising or abnormal that I would not have known about the investigation, or even more importantly, the content of that investigation.

"So I don’t know if there was collusion or not," added Clapper, who resigned at the end of President Barack Obama’s term.

Later in the interview, Clapper was asked if he agrees with Trump that the Russian investigation is a "witch hunt," to which he replied, "I don’t believe it is."

Instead, Clapper compared it to a "dark cloud" that would continue to linger until the investigation is complete.

"What needs to happen here is to clear this cloud that’s hanging over the administration, over the president, the White House," he said. "It would be in everyone’s best interest to get to the bottom of this."

Our ruling

Trump said, "When James Clapper himself, and virtually everyone else with knowledge of the witch hunt, says there is no collusion, when does it end?"

Some of the public statements by those with knowledge of the FBI investigation do not support Trump’s claim that "virtually everyone" privy to the probe says there’s no evidence of collusion. While Comey has not described specific evidence, he has confirmed that sufficient credible information exists for the FBI to consider the Russia probe a high enough priority to warrant an investigation.

As for Clapper’s statement, it’s apparent Trump has twisted the former DNI’s words to make it appear as if he’s ruled out the possibility that evidence exists showing the Trump campaign colluded with Russian interlopers during the 2016 election. But Clapper’s statement was that he had no knowledge of collusion -- not that collusion didn’t occur. Clapper has since stated that his capacity as DNI would not necessarily give him the kind of access to the FBI investigation that one would need in order to determine whether or not evidence of collusion exists.

We rate Trump’s statement Mostly False.
Still that doesn't enhance Clappers credibility. His agency report didn't have anything definitive about the campaign group and yet its his agency that leaked the information about Trumps campaign being survelled. That said the FBI report is the FBI report and hasn't been released as to the disposition of the campaign group. The only thing that has even been leaked is Trumps own statement that he had been exeronerated personally by Comey. That being said Clapper said what he said and his agency reports said the same and Trump didn't twist anything because re related what Clapper said. He wasn't commenting on the FBI report.

His only comment regarding the FBI investigation is that Comey exeronerated him personally but he hasn't made any comment about the report itself.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Still that doesn't enhance Clappers credibility. His agency report didn't have anything definitive about the campaign group and yet its his agency that leaked the information about Trumps campaign being survelled. That said the FBI report is the FBI report and hasn't been released as to the disposition of the campaign group. The only thing that has even been leaked is Trumps own statement that he had been exeronerated personally by Comey. That being said Clapper said what he said and his agency reports said the same and Trump didn't twist anything because re related what Clapper said. He wasn't commenting on the FBI report.

His only comment regarding the FBI investigation is that Comey exeronerated him personally but he hasn't made any comment about the report itself.
Oh and thanks for posting this. It just proves Clapper and his agency had nothing in their intelligence that indicated Trumps campaign or Trump himself colluded with the Russians.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
And you inability to see my point about an individual who can say one thing on one day and do a 190 take on another day is equally as puzzling. On the one hand he states there isn't a problem with this group and then prophesies doomsday and attributes it to the same person.
Are you really this dense?

What you mention here as far as Clapper's comments months ago has nothing to do with the comment from him that I posted.

Even if Trump and anybody he's ever met are 100% innocent and never did anything even remotely close to what people are insinuating as far as the Russia allegations/rumors, you can't see how the possibility of a President firing an FBI director in order to favorably influence an investigation for him and those close to him is an issue?

My point with the Clapper comment has nothing to do with whether or not anything Russia-related is true. It's that Clapper, a guy who has served at the highest positions in the I.C., has serious concerns about the President undermining our institutions and way of governance by basically using his power to get rid of those he sees as political opponents.

You on the other hand want to just deflect and brush all of this off as business as usual.

I'm sure if Clinton was the President and was doing all this shit you'd be responding exactly the same.

townsend

Banned
Are you really this dense?

What you mention here as far as Clapper's comments months ago has nothing to do with the comment from him that I posted.

Even if Trump and anybody he's ever met are 100% innocent and never did anything even remotely close to what people are insinuating as far as the Russia allegations/rumors, you can't see how the possibility of a President firing an FBI director in order to favorably influence an investigation for him and those close to him is an issue?

My point with the Clapper comment has nothing to do with whether or not anything Russia-related is true. It's that Clapper, a guy who has served at the highest positions in the I.C., has serious concerns about the President undermining our institutions and way of governance by basically using his power to get rid of those he sees as political opponents.

You on the other hand want to just deflect and brush all of this off as business as usual.

I'm sure if Clinton was the President and was doing all this shit you'd be responding exactly the same.
For people who may need to remember the shit fit the usual suspects pulled after Hillary got cleared by Comey last Summer.
http://www.dallascowboyscentral.com/showthread.php?4857-2016-POTUS-Election-Thread&p=280620&viewfull=1#post280620
(Pay no attention to that asshole Townsend predicting a landslide defeat of Trump :unsure)

Top Bottom