Trump fires FBI Director James Comey.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah. One alleges an election was rigged and the other alleges an investigation was rigged.

My personal opinion is the neither happened and both are politically motivated.
I don't think there are many who think the election was "rigged", just that Comey overstepped his bounds and unnecessarily went public with relatively benign information just a few days before the election.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So do you guys think it's normal for a President to basically threaten a former FBI director with "tapes" of their conversations?

Or do we just want to pretend like this is all business as usual?
I am not familiar with these circumstances. I'll have to look it up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you really not able to differentiate Democrats wanting him fired months ago for unnecessarily affecting the election but now being upset because of the possibility that the President is setting a precedent based on his own personal desire to affect an investigation?
IF you think the man is incompetent you shouldn't be claiming he "shouldn't be fired." Everything else is people just playing politics. You should know that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So do you guys think it's normal for a President to basically threaten a former FBI director with "tapes" of their conversations?

Or do we just want to pretend like this is all business as usual?
I've said it before, I think this type of investigation should be led by an independent investigator. I don't think it's normal or appropriate at all for an employee to essentially be investigating his boss. That screams conflict of interest for the director of the FBI.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
IF you think the man is incompetent you shouldn't be claiming he "shouldn't be fired." Everything else is people just playing politics. You should know that.
The problem is that the idea that he was fired after all these months for something that happened over 6 months ago is preposterous. It was seemingly used as an excuse to influence the investigation and/or to get put a crony in charge of the FBI.

If that is the case it's a step down the road towards an authoritarian dictatorship, as exaggerated as that may be.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I've said it before, I think this type of investigation should be led by an independent investigator. I don't think it's normal or appropriate at all for an employee to essentially be investigating his boss. That screams conflict of interest for the director of the FBI.
I agree but what does that have to do with the fact that a sitting President seemingly threatened a FBI director that he fired who was investigating him/his campaign/administration/whatever you want to call it?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem is that the idea that he was fired after all these months for something that happened over 6 months ago is preposterous. It was seemingly used as an excuse to influence the investigation and/or to get put a crony in charge of the FBI.
If that was the motivation, why wouldn't he have done this back when he first got elected? Why did he not want a "crony" in place from the very start? People would have cried the same stuff if Trump had done it then as they are with him doing it now. Especially if I'm supposed to believe the conspiracy theories that Trump is in bed with the Russians. You would have made the replacement right away instead of waiting.

This is all one big waste of time when what we all should be worried about is fixing healthcare, improving the economy and things of that nature. But no, instead we are going to talk about a Russian conspiracy theory.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree but what does that have to do with the fact that a sitting President seemingly threatened a FBI director that he fired who was investigating him/his campaign/administration/whatever you want to call it?
First of all Trump says all kinds of shit he shouldn't. This goes right in that category. I think Trump knows Comey is pissed over this and doesn't want him talking about the investigation. Which by the way I'm sure Comey isn't legally supposed to do and Trump is clearly paranoid of happening.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not sure what you mean by this type of investigation. This is an intelligence investigation principally aimed at investigating whether the Russians influenced the outcome of the election. It isn't about Trump although some think it is. There are some who were potentially affiliated with him through the campaign process and they are included because there was surveillance done on them by other intelligence agencies prior to the election. It is very appropriate for the FBI to conduct this Investigation. There has been nothing at this point to indicate that Trump is a suspect for anything in this Investigation because if there were that would already have been dealt with by the DOJ and Senate intelligence committees as a national security matter.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
First of all Trump says all kinds of shit he shouldn't. This goes right in that category. I think Trump knows Comey is pissed over this and doesn't want him talking about the investigation. Which by the way I'm sure Comey isn't legally supposed to do and Trump is clearly paranoid of happening.
That is precisely why he did it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure what you mean by this type of investigation. This is an intelligence investigation principally aimed at investigating whether the Russians influenced the outcome of the election.
I agree but the natural progression is that if the Russians influenced the outcome of the election for the winning party, you can foresee a conflict of interest for that winning party.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I agree but the natural progression is that if the Russians influenced the outcome of the election for the winning party, you can foresee a conflict of interest for that winning party.
Agree but the possibility of no culpability by the winner. But as you have said this whole idea is more of a political sour grapes manufactured story than anything else aimed at the democratic mantra of resist.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
There is no longer a standard of behavior for president of the United States. It is considered totally fine for him to say whatever he wants regardless of it is appropriate or true. It just gets dismissed as "Oh, that's just Trump being Trump. It doesn't matter. You can't take him too seriously." This is the president of the US we're talking about here. I seriously can not believe we have reached the point that this is the case. Pretty sad state of affairs.

townsend

Banned
You'd see everyone flop. Republicans would be screaming bloody murder and people like Townsend would be defending it. We all already saw this happen basically. All the Democrats were screaming for Comey's head when Trump got elected and now they are crying the opposite. Just like the Republican's that supported Comey back then are now claiming how incompetent he was now.
Fuck you, sir. If Hillary had pulled this shit, I would be just as up in arms. Just before Comey was fired I was defending his decision to go forward with the info on Hillary, because the Republicans would have had a witch hunt.

You did this same bullshit with the Russia investigation. Saying it's the same as birtherism.

This is why the "both sides do wrong" narratives are full of shit. Because they assume both sides act as bad as Republicans. Even though Republicans have been believing Trump's lies about wiretapping, his lies about voter fraud, his lies about Comey, his lies about his own fucking inaugeration. Republicans are full of shit, that does not mean that the people who oppose them (people like myself who had to switch sides because of how evil this party has become) are equally full of shit.

Even so called "liberals" like myself (and the other liberals that haven't been banned yet on this board) didn't believe Hillary was completely innocent of the email scandal. Because we exercise critical thinking, and aren't just playing team sports.

Stop arguing from the middle assuming both sides are equally bad. It's dishonest. If I say the sky is blue, and they say the sky is yellow, that doesn't mean the sky is green.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You did this same bullshit with the Russia investigation. Saying it's the same as birtherism.
Yeah, and yet still none of this imaginary connection between Trump and Russia fixing the election. You're no closer to proving your conspiracy theory than you are to curing cancer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stop arguing from the middle assuming both sides are equally bad. It's dishonest. If I say the sky is blue, and they say the sky is yellow, that doesn't mean the sky is green.
It's dishonest because you're a blind liberal homer. If you could see it as independent third party you'd see how foolish both sides are. But you're looking through rose colored glasses.

townsend

Banned
It's dishonest because you're a blind liberal homer. If you could see it as independent third party you'd see how foolish both sides are. But you're looking through rose colored glasses.
If you said the Cowboys are a better team in 2016 than the Redskins, would the fact that you're a homer invalidate actual facts. Or do you believe it's more correct to say the Cowboys and Redskins were exactly as good in 2016 because both sets of fan bases are biased. No, because that's stupid. Bias doesn't invalidate fact.

By the way you hate democrats more I hate republicans, I would vote for John Hunstman, or John Kasich. I don't think you'd vote for a democrat under any circumstances, so let's not pretend you're impartial or independent.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
There is no longer a standard of behavior for president of the United States. It is considered totally fine for him to say whatever he wants regardless of it is appropriate or true. It just gets dismissed as "Oh, that's just Trump being Trump. It doesn't matter. You can't take him too seriously." This is the president of the US we're talking about here. I seriously can not believe we have reached the point that this is the case. Pretty sad state of affairs.
Lets see. There is the Bill Clinton Standard. There is the George W Bush Standard. There is the Ronald Regan Standard. The George Herbert Walker Bush Standard. The Barack Obama Standard. Dwight Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, Etc. etc. Which one is the bearer?

townsend

Banned
Yeah, and yet still none of this imaginary connection between Trump and Russia fixing the election. You're no closer to proving your conspiracy theory than you are to curing cancer.
So how many employees of Obama had to step down because of ties to Kenya?

Our national security advisor was taking money from Russia in defiance of the Pentagon. Roger Stone talked to the hacker who attacked the DNC. Trump aides met with Russia a dozen times. This is the problem. No amount of evidence is damning because people will continue to dismiss objective facts that don't fall in line with their own biases, because they don't like the source.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Lets see. There is the Bill Clinton Standard. There is the George W Bush Standard. There is the Ronald Regan Standard. The George Herbert Walker Bush Standard. The Barack Obama Standard. Dwight Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, Etc. etc. Which one is the bearer?
:lol

Your pathological need to defend him is comical at this point.

Top Bottom