Travis Frederick Retiring

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whatever money he made prior to this season plus the entire signing bonus I believe. The team could come after him for part of the signing bonus but I doubt they would and even if they did I don't think it'd have much impact on this year's cap.

The dead cap money this year is a function of the signing bonus, it's basically as if we cut him.

It's pretty ridiculous when you think about it but hey.
Yeah I remember when Witten or Romo retired we could have required them to return some money and saved a boat load on the cap but we chose not to do so. It's not considered the honorable thing to do. But lets face it a guy could get a 60 mil signinging bonus and retire a year into a contract. Kind of bullshit but it's the reality of why big guarantees are dangerous.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Man, he really took that social distancing seriously. :unsure

Cotton

Staff member
In all seriousness, this sucks balls. I just hope that stupid disease isn't rearing its head again.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
I imagine Frederick went through a huge life change after his disease. He realizes in his announcement that he's not quite the player he was. After something as serious as Guillain-Barre, football probably just wasn't as important anymore.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I imagine Frederick went through a huge life change after his disease. He realizes in his announcement that he's not quite the player he was. After something as serious as Guillain-Barre, football probably just wasn't as important anymore.
And he doesn’t feel satisfied with his level of play. Supposedly that’s what drove the decision

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
When people bitch that contracts should be guaranteed stuff like this happens and I'd love to ask for guaranteed money back to help with the cap. But that's not classy so we won't do it. But you see how both sides can collect the cash and leave.
I'm in favor of NFL players receiving guaranteed contracts and IMO Frederick's situation wouldn't qualify him to receive all of his money if contracts were guaranteed. What I envision with guaranteed contracts is for players to still be paid even if they under-perform or are injured performing football related activities. Frederick's disease is one of those non-football related incidents that I wouldn't pay for.....unless you just wanted to be a swell guy and give a free handout like the Colts did with Andrew Luck.

I understand both sides of the arguments. People worry about injury, players get fat and lazy after being paid, players production taking a sudden nosedive, etc. But IMO, that just means front offices will need to be more prudent & strategic about who they're paying.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
While it definitely sucks my expectations aren't changing, this isn't an excuse.

We won a playoff game with Looney starting every single game at center just a year ago.

With a rookie Connor Williams at LG, a rookie Gallup and an inexperienced Jarwin at TE.

With Scott Linehan calling plays out of HC Jason Garrett's playbook.
Yep. This is definitely not a case of Chaz Green in 2015 where the talent drop-off was massive and completely disrupted the offense.

Looney's no Frederick but he's a very competent NFL OL.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys center Travis Frederick's retirement proof of ever-changing NFL
7:59 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Monday's surprising retirement announcement by Dallas Cowboys center Travis Frederick is a reminder of how quickly things can change in the NFL.

Since 2014, the Cowboys have had an offensive line that was the envy of many across the league with Tyron Smith, Frederick and Zack Martin -- all first-round draft picks. They added La'el Collins, a first-round talent, in 2015 as an undrafted free agent.

In 2011, the Cowboys used a first-round pick on an offensive lineman for the first time since 1981 on Smith, and he has been a Pro Bowl selection every season since 2013.

In 2013, the Cowboys were ridiculed for trading back in the first round and selecting Frederick with the No. 31 overall pick. Frederick was a Day 1 starter and was named to the Pro Bowl in all but one of the six seasons he played.

In 2014, the Cowboys took Martin with the No. 16 overall pick, and he has been one of the game's best guards, earning first- or second-team All-Pro honors each year and being named to the Pro Bowl in each of his first six seasons.

The idea was Smith, Frederick and Martin would grow old playing together on the field. In 2014, Smith signed an eight-year extension through 2023. In 2016, Frederick signed a six-year extension through 2024. In 2018, Martin signed a six-year extension through 2024.

The trio was supposed to be like the Cowboys' great line of the 1990s with Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei, Mark Stepnoski and Erik Williams that opened holes for running back Emmitt Smith and protected quarterback Troy Aikman for three Super Bowls.

Since 1970, Martin, Frederick and Smith make up the only offensive line trio to make five (or more) Pro Bowls together, according to Elias Sports Bureau research.

Last week, Frederick turned 29. Martin turns 30 in November. Smith turns 30 in December.

As they each approach what should be the prime of their careers, one of the pillars is walking away.

In his announcement, Frederick cited the battle he had in 2018 with Guillain-Barré syndrome, an autoimmune disease that affects the nervous system. One of the best NFL centers in the world, Frederick had difficulty walking as his muscles atrophied in 2018. He spent months working back, regaining strength, not just measured in pounds but in accomplishing mundane tasks.

Numerous times Frederick said his goal was not just to return to the field but to continue to be one of the best in the league at his position. While he was named to the Pro Bowl in 2019 (for the fifth time), he felt he did not play up to his personal standard, which he says played a part in his decision to retire.

Smith has missed games in each of the past four seasons because of a number of injuries, including a chronic back injury. Martin has missed two games in his career (both in 2018), but he was slowed by back, elbow and ankle injuries. Martin had offseason surgery on an ankle and skipped the Pro Bowl this past season.

The Cowboys will miss Frederick, but the nature of the NFL is that the game goes on. Center Joe Looney played well in replacing Frederick in 2018 and re-signed with the team last week. Connor McGovern, Adam Redmond and perhaps Connor Williams could be in the mix. Quarterback Dak Prescott will have to get used to the change as well -- in the three seasons Prescott and Frederick played together, the quarterback played 3,016 offensive snaps -- all of them were with Frederick at center.

Any of them could do fine in filling in for Frederick, and the Cowboys still can be a playoff team in coach Mike McCarthy's first season. At the NFL scouting combine, McCarthy noted his Green Bay Packers needed more than 70 players because of injuries to win Super Bowl XLV in 2010.

But this shake-up of the offensive line was not in the long-term plan when the Cowboys signed Frederick to the extension two years after Smith and two years before Martin.

They were supposed to grow older together, claiming Super Bowls like the lines of the 1990s. Things quickly change.

Cotton

Staff member

p1_

DCC 4Life
Travis Frederick played his entire NFL career under Jason Garrett.

Such a waste of an HOF caliber talent.
I hope it hurts Jerry and Stephen to know this

Cotton

Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Travis Frederick played his entire NFL career under Jason Garrett.

Such a waste of an HOF caliber talent.
So true.

And Tyron is next. He'll probably get a year or two with a decent coach but that's it. :(

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't know about you guys but I don't feel any great fondness, nostalgia or emotion for Frederick.

His career wasn't taken out of his own hands due to repeated injuries (Romo), nor do you get the feeling of unfinished business or unfulfilled promise (also Romo, given that his last real game was that 2014 Green Bay playoff game). He wasn't around for damn near 20 years, so long that fans have literally progressed through several stages of life during their inevitable HOF career (Witten), and he wasn't a future HOF'er who was forced out early due to poor cap decisions with plenty left in the tank (Ware).

He was just a really good player (maybe borderline HOF if he kept playing) for a handful of years who wanted to retire early, maybe because of the autoimmune issue, but maybe not. I honestly think the guy just lost his passion for the game during the year off, got comfortable not playing, and started to wonder what's the point with $40-50 million in the bank?

That's fine, I don't blame him and if I was in the same position I might do the same thing, but in my mind it's just on to the next one and he's just another player that you have to strategize how to best replace.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't know about you guys but I don't feel any great fondness, nostalgia or emotion for Frederick.

His career wasn't taken out of his own hands due to repeated injuries (Romo), nor do you get the feeling of unfinished business or unfulfilled promise (also Romo, given that his last real game was that 2014 Green Bay playoff game). He wasn't around for damn near 20 years, so long that fans have literally progressed through several stages of life during their inevitable HOF career (Witten), and he wasn't a future HOF'er who was forced out early due to poor cap decisions with plenty left in the tank (Ware).

He was just a really good player (maybe borderline HOF if he kept playing) for a handful of years who wanted to retire early, maybe because of the autoimmune issue, but maybe not. I honestly think the guy just lost his passion for the game during the year off, got comfortable not playing, and started to wonder what's the point with $40-50 million in the bank?

That's fine, I don't blame him and if I was in the same position I might do the same thing, but in my mind it's just on to the next one and he's just another player that you have to strategize how to best replace.
I feel emotion for him simply because it was an extremely rare disease that did in his career.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I feel emotion for him simply because it was an extremely rare disease that did in his career.
If that is truly the case, then yea, I don't think that's the case though. There are several OL in the last 20-30 years who went on to play for years after having the disease and he was seemingly able to carry on his career.

His goodbye letter literally said that one of the reasons he's stepping away is because he isn't able to play at the same pre-2018 level, and while that may be the case, there's no indication that he wouldn't be able to play at 80% of that or 90%, or whatever % he was at last year that resulted in a Pro Bowl, even if it was relatively undeserved.

I have no idea obviously but it just looks to me like a guy who didn't want to play anymore, and it'd be one thing if he played like a complete schlub last year and didn't see the point in continuing like that, but that wasn't the case. I think it's just a combination of him not really having the desire to play anymore combined with the fact that he's maybe only 80% or whatever of his former self, which is still probably good enough to be a top 10 center.

Top Bottom