Travis Frederick Retiring

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Sad that we couldn't get a SB with Tyron, Fred, and Martin...an embarrassment of riches on the OL for several years.

We'll miss his command of the offense.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
It changes a little but not dramatically for me. I'm not ok taking an Olineman but I still wouldn't do it high.
I wouldn't either. IMO the O line is good enough and defense is priority. But I'm betting they throw in a 3-4 rounder on it anyway.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
While this sucks, it shouldn’t change our draft approach in the early rounds unless there is some serious value to be had on day two or three.

Good for him though. I appreciate all he did, and what he meant. At one point probably the best in the game.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It really is uncanny how every year some ridiculous malady happens to this team.

If it's not Quinn or Lawrence or Irving or Gregory getting suspended it's Frederick contracting some rare autoimmune disease and then retiring, or it's Elliott holding out all of TC and not reporting until like 4 days before the first game.

It's preposterous.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
While it definitely sucks my expectations aren't changing, this isn't an excuse.

We won a playoff game with Looney starting every single game at center just a year ago.

With a rookie Connor Williams at LG, a rookie Gallup and an inexperienced Jarwin at TE.

With Scott Linehan calling plays out of HC Jason Garrett's playbook.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Problem is the chain reaction. Instead of one unsettled position now there are two.

When you add that Tyron is aging we are a Zack Martin injury away from a potential shitshow. Fred meant everything to this OL.

I wonder if they will sign Leary now. IMO he represents quality depth behind the Conners.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
As far as I can tell there's no impact on the cap this year, his cap hit was supposed to be about 11 and now his dead cap is 11, so it's a net 0.

The real savings of course comes in the next year or two when he would've counted around 10-11 against the cap, and now that's totally off the books.

So as long as they can make a guy fit under the cap this year they can have their number jump significantly next year. We could easily sign Clowney to a 3/50 deal where his 2020 cap hit is like 8 but his second and third years are around 20, with that jump from 8 to 20 paid for in full by the savings on Frederick's number coming off the books.

The problem is they will never do that in a million years.
So, when these players retire early they get to keep all the money?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So, when these players retire early they get to keep all the money?
Whatever money he made prior to this season plus the entire signing bonus I believe. The team could come after him for part of the signing bonus but I doubt they would and even if they did I don't think it'd have much impact on this year's cap.

The dead cap money this year is a function of the signing bonus, it's basically as if we cut him.

It's pretty ridiculous when you think about it but hey.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
you arent replacing Fredbeard anytime soon, so better to roll with Looney and let him grow into the position. Intelligence over his skill. he wasnt a bad player, better than i thought and we have a better OL coach in there now.

if a center falls to us, great, i remember the moaning and crying when we picked Fred, and that turned out better than most thought. He was a complete center that isnt seen a lot in the NFL. but that doesnt mean moving past him as a team will hurt us. we had to move past Jason Witten and even having a PRO level TE didnt get us anywhere. So as a whole, it wont hurt as much as singularly. Even with his short career hes is better than most of the Cs we ve had over the years.

The game is changing and the talent is changing. Life changes. I cherished all i got to witness but i know it wont last forever.

GShock

DCC 4Life
It really is uncanny how every year some ridiculous malady happens to this team.

If it's not Quinn or Lawrence or Irving or Gregory getting suspended it's Frederick contracting some rare autoimmune disease and then retiring, or it's Elliott holding out all of TC and not reporting until like 4 days before the first game.

It's preposterous.
RKGs FTW

Top Bottom