Training Camp Thread...

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I would be, too, if the plan was for him to be our lead back. Since he will be playing in a limited role as a complement back, I think his skill set is a perfect fit. It should be fun to watch if they use him properly.
I was just commenting in general about Bama RBs. Our situation with Bo is very low-risk, high-reward.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I thought Henry did ok...
He did OK. He's had to split a lot of time with another good RB so the numbers don't wow you. Nevertheless, typically more is expected of Heisman trophy winning RBs.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
If Dak matures and steps up, I think we have a lot of potential. I have no idea what to make of our WR and TE corps. Dak seems to be focused and working hard this off season. And if he can make it happen with these guys we can really do something. Got a feeling defenses are really gonna load up to stop Zeke, and see if Dak can do anything with his arm. Kinda like Denver did to Cam Newton in the SB .
Just a gut feeling...

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If Dak matures and steps up, I think we have a lot of potential. I have no idea what to make of our WR and TE corps. Dak seems to be focused and working hard this off season. And if he can make it happen with these guys we can really do something. Got a feeling defenses are really gonna load up to stop Zeke, and see if Dak can do anything with his arm. Kinda like Denver did to Cam Newton in the SB .
Just a gut feeling...
I'm no Dak apologist, but his ability to develop isn't all on him.

This is where our lackluster staff really hurts us. This guy needs the brightest minds around him to help him take his game to the next level and evolve on both the physical and mental aspects of the position. The problem is the two guys who are most tasked with assisting him with this are Garrett and a QB coach with no experience whatsoever in Kellen Moore.

I can't say that combination inspires confidence.

I don't know if Dak has it in him to be another Russell Wilson type or if he's gonna be another in a long line of QBs who showed early promise but capped out fairly quickly, but I know his chances would be much better to become the former if we had a more competent staff in place.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I'm no Dak apologist, but his ability to develop isn't all on him.

This is where our lackluster staff really hurts us. This guy needs the brightest minds around him to help him take his game to the next level and evolve on both the physical and mental aspects of the position. The problem is the two guys who are most tasked with assisting him with this are Garrett and a QB coach with no experience whatsoever in Kellen Moore.

I can't say that combination inspires confidence.

I don't know if Dak has it in him to be another Russell Wilson type or if he's gonna be another in a long line of QBs who showed early promise but capped out fairly quickly, but I know his chances would be much better to become the former if we had a more competent staff in place.
It really is quite sad that Jerry has been content allowing Jason Garrett to essentially squander the careers of some very talented players.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I didn't watch much last year, but Dak looked like crap most of the time I did catch a game.

I would be worried if I gave more than half a shit what happens. I thought he looked brilliant at times in 2016, and never looked bad. He looked special in 2016, 2017 he looked very average in my limited time watching.

Maybe Zeke is his security blanket that puts him in his comfort zone, idk. Hope he pans out for the fan base.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

p1_

DCC 4Life
Hurns is our de facto number one.ponder that

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Hurns is our de facto number one.ponder that
That is scary, but I actually think having someone who can halfass run a route will be better than Dez improvising. Especially with Dak.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Meh he's fine until Gallup takes that seat.
Wonder how quickly he will develop. I’ll be happy if we have guys running numerous routes well and creating some separation.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wonder how quickly he will develop. I’ll be happy if we have guys running numerous routes well and creating some separation.
You just need multiple guys who can beat single coverage regularly and catch the damn ball. You don't need an elite guy trying to beat double teams. It's just not necissary.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Just not having that constant chirping from a WR who isn't quite what he used to be should improve Dak's chance for success.

Getting the poison out is the first step.

With the OL and RB resources surrounding him, Dak really is set up nicely this year.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Troubled Dallas Cowboys DT David Irving is not reporting to start of training camp

BY CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
chill@star-telegram.com

A roller coaster offseason is continuing for Dallas Cowboys defensive end David Irving who did not report to training camp with the rest of the team on Tuesday, per multiple sources.

There is no timetable for him to report as he has been excused to address ongoing personal issues, per sources.

Irving is already suspended for the first four games of the 2018 season for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

The training camp hold up came on the same day sources confirmed that Irving will not be punished by the league under the personal conduct policy stemming from a domestic violence allegation made by a former girlfriend that was later recanted.

He was cleared by the Frisco police in April but the matter was still under investigation by the NFL, who can punish players absent charges or a conviction, as running back Ezekiel Elliott found out last year when he served a six-game suspension.

Getting cleared by the NFL is only part what has been a troubled offseason for Irving. The four-game suspension for violating the substance abuse policy means that he will miss the first four games for the second straight season. He was suspended for the first four games last year for violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

The latest suspension was announced in June following the conclusion of the mandatory minicamp when Irving finally showed up at the team facility to avoid being fined. He has missed the majority of the offseason program and organized team activities because of personal issues.

Irving won sole custody of his daughter after a court battle with his ex-girlfriend but admittedly struggled with finding proper child care.

He was still expected to join the Cowboys for the start of camp and play in the preseason even though he would have to leave start his suspension the Sunday for the Sept. 9 season opener against the Carolina Panthers.

Now there is a question of whether Irving will participate in camp at all.

If the issues he is dealing with couldn’t be handled over the last five weeks, there is a chance they won’t be resolved before the Cowboys break camp Aug. 17.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
No denying his production, but fuck this guy.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I didn't watch much last year, but Dak looked like crap most of the time I did catch a game.

I would be worried if I gave more than half a shit what happens. I thought he looked brilliant at times in 2016, and never looked bad. He looked special in 2016, 2017 he looked very average in my limited time watching.

Maybe Zeke is his security blanket that puts him in his comfort zone, idk. Hope he pans out for the fan base.
Some of the difference in Daks play from 16-17 is because Dak had number 9 helping him one year and a bunch of fruitcakes helping him the next year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That is scary, but I actually think having someone who can halfass run a route will be better than Dez improvising. Especially with Dak.
At least maybe this WR corps can get some damn separation.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Some of the difference in Daks play from 16-17 is because Dak had number 9 helping him one year and a bunch of fruitcakes helping him the next year.
Right.

I know he's only 2 years into his career, but I don't think Dak will ever be a great passer. I just think you can just see it with some guys, and I don't see that type of ability in him.

Having said that, I think he can definitely be a good player at the position but it's going to require the right coaching and tutelage and you just don't get the feeling that he has that in Dallas.

Do not underestimate the effect Romo had on him in 2016. Unfortunately, there is no one with that sort of wisdom on the team in any capacity right now. So I would temper expectations when it comes to Dak Prescott in 2018.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I feel like I’d be extraordinarily active in the trade market this camp. I really wish we could get Earl Thomas. If we could get Thomas, a DT, and either a WR or a TE, I’d begin to feel really good about where this team could go this year.

Top Bottom