The Outrage Thread

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
This is why this and the Jussie Smollett type shit piss me off so much. Many people are like you and me and are so jaded from the made-up racist and bullying claims that the real issues never get addressed. We will never get better as a people of pieces if shit like this continue to get away with this bullshit. There needs to be some sort of punishment for this.
maybe its legit?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think parents can play a part because there are shitty parents out there.

I was a shitty kid that would make fun of other kids, even though my parents taught me better than that. So I don’t think it’s all parents. I think, largely, kids do things just because they want a reaction.
I mean, yes, bullying is bad, but it's also a simple fact of life.

There is literally zero you can do to remove it from society. You can take a "zero tolerance" stance to it, but one of the things you are gonna do is create a subset of individuals who feel they were unfairly punished for innocuous mistakes. There has been talk about how the "white mass shooter" phenomenon is actually a result of the societal pressure on the individuals to blame societies' problems on them: if you are told every day that white males are the bad guys, some of them end up snapping because of the pressure you are placing on them. I suspect bullying is a largely male issue.... we've already dropped the responsibility of sexism, racial disparity, class and wealth disparity on them, now we are going to add that males are wrong when acting instinctively in terms of bullying. They are bad and have to have those natural tendencies (yes, bullying is a natural societal tendency) "learned" out of them.

I was bullied as a middle schooler and a high schooler; at the end of the day, I ended up friends with some of the people who bullied me down the line. Because not all "bullies" are bad people. Some are irredeemable, but some are not, it is just the nature of people to dogpile and kick weak people who are different when they are down. I'm quite confident, frankly, that many of you on this board have done it. The anti-bullying movement wants "bullying" to be a cardinal sin just like using racist or sexist language or wearing blackface. Once you've done it, you have to be forever othered and removed from normal society yourself (ie, a zero tolerance bullying policy results in suspension or expulsion).

I am all for trying to eradicate the worst effects of bullying but you cannot simply say "let's do more to stop bullies." You have to weed out the worst offenders, but to some level you also have to accept that bullying will always exist and you have to teach your children that it's ok to be bullied a little; it's character building frankly. Not that I'm saying "This kid just needs to toughen up" -- I'm not saying that at all.

But maybe we need to improve the support systems and counseling for those who are bullied, and for the parents as well, because passing on a message of love and support to bullied children is way more important and realistic than "stopping" bullying. I never felt like this child did because I had a family that let me know they loved me and I had friends in other aspects of my life where I knew I was safe. That is what a child like this one most appears to be missing, to me.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

There is literally zero you can do to remove it from society. You can take a "zero tolerance" stance to it, but all you are gonna do is create a subsect of individuals who feel they were unfairly punished for innocuous mistakes. I was bullied as a middle schooler and a high schooler; at the end of the day, I ended up friends with some of the people who bullied me down the line. Because not all "bullies" are bad people. Some are irredeemable, but some are not, it is just the nature of people to dogpile and kick weak people who are different when they are down. I'm quite confident, frankly, that many of you on this board have done it. The anti-bullying movement wants "bullying" to be a cardinal sin just like using racist or sexist language or wearing blackface.

I am all for trying to eradicate the worst effects of bullying but you cannot simply say "let's do more to stop bullies." You have to weed out the worst offenders, but to some level you also have to accept that bullying will always exist and you have to teach your children that it's ok to be bullied a little; it's character building.

Maybe we need to improve the support systems and counseling for those who are bullied, and for the parents as well, because passing on a message of love and support to bullied children is way more important and realistic than "stopping" bullying. I never felt like this child did because I had a family that let me know they loved me and I had friends in other aspects of my life where I knew I was safe. That is what a child like this one most appears to be missing, to me.
It doesn't help that every time someone is even the slightest offended it now gets classified as bullying.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This is why this and the Jussie Smollett type shit piss me off so much. Many people are like you and me and are so jaded from the made-up racist and bullying claims that the real issues never get addressed. We will never get better as a people of pieces if shit like this continue to get away with this bullshit. There needs to be some sort of punishment for this.
You should also frankly question literally everything you see on the internet.

Never believe a video like that on it's face.

Sheik

DCC 4Life

There is literally zero you can do to remove it from society. You can take a "zero tolerance" stance to it, but all you are gonna do is create a subsect of individuals who feel they were unfairly punished for innocuous mistakes. I was bullied as a middle schooler and a high schooler; at the end of the day, I ended up friends with some of the people who bullied me down the line. Because not all "bullies" are bad people. Some are irredeemable, but some are not, it is just the nature of people to dogpile and kick weak people who are different when they are down. I'm quite confident, frankly, that many of you on this board have done it. The anti-bullying movement wants "bullying" to be a cardinal sin just like using racist or sexist language or wearing blackface.

I am all for trying to eradicate the worst effects of bullying but you cannot simply say "let's do more to stop bullies." You have to weed out the worst offenders, but to some level you also have to accept that bullying will always exist and you have to teach your children that it's ok to be bullied a little; it's character building.

Maybe we need to improve the support systems and counseling for those who are bullied, and for the parents as well, because passing on a message of love and support to bullied children is way more important and realistic than "stopping" bullying. I never felt like this child did because I had a family that let me know they loved me and I had friends in other aspects of my life where I knew I was safe. That is what a child like this one most appears to be missing, to me.
I challenge my 7 year old everyday to find a kid on the playground who is playing alone and the goal is to learn that kids name and play with that kid.

My biggest fear when my oldest started school was that she would be that kid. We also talk daily about standing up for herself and other kids who get picked on.

I don’t know if she actually follows through with what I ask if her, but at the very least that practice is in the back of her mind.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It doesn't help that every time someone is even the slightest offended it now gets classified as bullying.
Yes, that is definitely a huge part of it, for sure.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You should also frankly question literally everything you see on the internet.

Never believe a video like that on it's face.
That is a fair point.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter

There is literally zero you can do to remove it from society. You can take a "zero tolerance" stance to it, but one of the things you are gonna do is create a subset of individuals who feel they were unfairly punished for innocuous mistakes. There has been talk about how the "white mass shooter" phenomenon is actually a result of the societal pressure on the individuals to blame societies' problems on them: if you are told every day that white males are the bad guys, some of them end up snapping because of the pressure you are placing on them. I suspect bullying is a largely male issue.... we've already dropped the responsibility of sexism, racial disparity, class and wealth disparity on them, now we are going to add that males are wrong when acting instinctively in terms of bullying. They are bad and have to have those natural tendencies (yes, bullying is a natural societal tendency) "learned" out of them.

I was bullied as a middle schooler and a high schooler; at the end of the day, I ended up friends with some of the people who bullied me down the line. Because not all "bullies" are bad people. Some are irredeemable, but some are not, it is just the nature of people to dogpile and kick weak people who are different when they are down. I'm quite confident, frankly, that many of you on this board have done it. The anti-bullying movement wants "bullying" to be a cardinal sin just like using racist or sexist language or wearing blackface. Once you've done it, you have to be forever othered and removed from normal society yourself (ie, a zero tolerance bullying policy results in suspension or expulsion).

I am all for trying to eradicate the worst effects of bullying but you cannot simply say "let's do more to stop bullies." You have to weed out the worst offenders, but to some level you also have to accept that bullying will always exist and you have to teach your children that it's ok to be bullied a little; it's character building frankly. Not that I'm saying "This kid just needs to toughen up" -- I'm not saying that at all.

But maybe we need to improve the support systems and counseling for those who are bullied, and for the parents as well, because passing on a message of love and support to bullied children is way more important and realistic than "stopping" bullying. I never felt like this child did because I had a family that let me know they loved me and I had friends in other aspects of my life where I knew I was safe. That is what a child like this one most appears to be missing, to me.
I would add that I wish parents, teachers, etc could impart the truth that those who don't know you, who attempt to bully, be hateful, etc are not worthy of your angst. They dont know you, their words hold no meaning and they are simply trying to get a reaction from their words or actions. Don't give them the satisfaction, in fact have pity on them because its likely that something is amiss at home or elsewhere in their lives. Its liberating when you arrive at this state of mind.

I have a last name that is highly conducive to ridicule, it still happens occasional to this day and I'm 54. Now I laugh when it happens but as a kid I was ridiculously over sensitive but at the end of the day it taught me who my true friends were and helped me see people in a deeper light. In retrospect, I'm grateful for the wisdom & strength those experiences gave me.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I have a last name that is highly conducive to ridicule
Same here. People loved to bust on my name. Hell, when I joined the Army, my name turned into my Drill Sgt's favorite pastime.

My last name is Moe. Imagine standing at attention not being able to move a muscle, or even change your facial expression. Then, an entire company of Drill Sergeant's doing the whole Three Stooges routine in front of you. Now, how in the fuck do you now laugh at that? Yeah, I got smoked a lot...

As far as all the HoMoe jokes? Eh. I'd just look at em all bored and ask if that was the best they could come up with. Tell them that unoriginal thought lies with the weak minded. Then the others around would turn on them and start laughing at the burn. Worked every time.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Y'all don't know shit about last name ridicule.

Kids are fucking assholes!

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
This is actually quite comical.

Top Bottom