The Outrage Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If this were turned around and the roles were a white police was trying to apprehend a black female who was resisting and trying to flee, would one support the premise that it was legitimate because of the conduct of the one who resisted? Often times this has been the reasons for validating a shooting of an individual that is resisting. Something to think about.
It was justified. And it would have been justified no matter what the color of any of their skins.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It was justified. And it would have been justified no matter what the color of any of their skins.
I would need to know more before I'd say it was justified. Was the public in danger? Were the police? It just looked to me that the guy was trying to flee. And that is not enough to justify deadly force. And like Crock says, color of skin has nothing to do with it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I would need to know more before I'd say it was justified. Was the public in danger? Were the police? It just looked to me that the guy was trying to flee. And that is not enough to justify deadly force. And like Crock says, color of skin has nothing to do with it.
But skin color may have something to do with ensuing riots and that’s what my question is actually about. It was in reference to the dawgs same question.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That's awful. Not only was the guy shot when he shouldn't have been, but that woman acts like she's never been trained before. On that first shot she easily could have shot her partner. :doh

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
But skin color may have something to do with ensuing riots and that’s what my question is actually about. It was in reference to the dawgs same question.
That's great. Except I wasn't talking about riots, or anything else besides the actual shooting. I was replying to Iamtdg's comment about it being justified.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That's great. Except I wasn't talking about riots, or anything else besides the actual shooting. I was replying to Iamtdg's comment about it being justified.
But I was. And it was in reference to his statement about where is the riots. Apparently we were having separate responses to him.

Cotton

Staff member
He guy was moving towards the cop. Was it the safest of shots? No. But, he moved towards the cop. She had every right to shoot him. And, maybe I wasn't clear, but I was saying that skin color has jack shit to do with my opinion.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He guy was moving towards the cop. Was it the safest of shots? No. But, he moved towards the cop. She had every right to shoot him. And, maybe I wasn't clear, but I was saying that skin color has jack shit to do with my opinion.
No you were clear. And you've always been on the side of the cop is right and I've always been on the opposite side in these situations. Regardless of color for both of us.

Ultimately in my opinion you don't shoot a man because he is trying to escape. Better to let the man go, tack on charges and try to get him later when you have the backup you need. Doesn't make what the guy is doing any better but it doesn't justify the death penalty in my opinion. (Not saying the guy died but if an officer discharges a weapon, they shoot to kill)

Cotton

Staff member
you've always been on the side of the cop is right
Not always. If I don't think the cop is right I will say it and have on quite a few occasions.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not always. If I don't think the cop is right I will say it and have on quite a few occasions.
You were referring to riots. That was what I was addressing. The skin color seems to be a factor regarding when people riot over a shooting.. I’m not discussing the justice aspect. When you said where are the riots it seemed to me you were asking why is there no rioting over this shooting. As a factual matter riots seem to occur when a black individual is killed during what is perceived as a racist act of law enforcement. In the instant case however the circumstance was a black law enforcement officer may have been perceived to have pursued and shot a white individual then you asked where are the riots? I was trying to understand what you meant.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You serious, Clark? The guy had his head bowed, wiping mace from his face. He wasn't even looking at either of the police. And he staggered forward, more towards the corner of the wall, than towards either officer. The move was slow and deliberate, not like he was trying to rush her.

I almost always side with the police when the situation isn't clear towards either side, giving law enforcement the benefit of the doubt. But it is pretty clear here that the guy was not moving towards the officer that fired the shot in an aggressive manner. He was clearly staggering and more concerned with the mace in his eyes.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Top Bottom