The Johnny Manziel Thread

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I won't defend everything about him, but it is BS that college athletes can't sell their own autographs while the University and NCAA are doing the same thing
Agreed. The double standard is a little rich.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
True, but because it's a far cry from being an NFL superstar, which I think he could be if he wasn't such a dickhead.
Manziel doesn't have the physical ability to be an NFL superstar. He'd be an NFL celebrity a la Matt Leinart in 2006 or Tim Tebow now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
True, but because it's a far cry from being an NFL superstar, which I think he could be if he wasn't such a dickhead.
I think he has some ability but he needs the humility the NCAA suspension would bring him while at the same time badly needing the season of college football to refine his passing ability. He is still a very raw player. Kind of looks like a street baller out there. Running around and chucking the ball but never really settling into the offense and playing within the system. In the NFL you need a QB that can consistently take a 3 or 5 step drop and put the ball on the money. You don't see enough of that in his game at this point. Instead you see a guy who takes that drop and then starts running around and making plays on the move.

I would like to see Manziel play another year simply for that fact. Of course if he does that then he will think he got away with something in terms of the autographs and I think his head may only get bigger. He needs a mentor like Michael Irvin to sit there and tell him he hasn't done shit.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think he has some ability but he needs the humility the NCAA suspension would bring him while at the same time badly needing the season of college football to refine his passing ability. He is still a very raw player. Kind of looks like a street baller out there. Running around and chucking the ball but never really settling into the offense and playing within the system. In the NFL you need a QB that can consistently take a 3 or 5 step drop and put the ball on the money. You don't see enough of that in his game at this point. Instead you see a guy who takes that drop and then starts running around and making plays on the move.

I would like to see Manziel play another year simply for that fact. Of course if he does that then he will think he got away with something in terms of the autographs and I think his head may only get bigger. He needs a mentor like Michael Irvin to sit there and tell him he hasn't done shit.
I agree all around.

He needs alot of refining for sure, he's only played 1 year of college ball and he's what, 20, 21?

But I think the concerns over his arm strength and such are overblown, he has tools that could definitely translate at the pro level.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
To my knowledge there is not evidence that he took money. I know there are allegations but no one has shown proof of it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Tend to go with the saying where there is smoke there is fire.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
To my knowledge there is not evidence that he took money. I know there are allegations but no one has shown proof of it.
He signed 4400 items in 3 cities. You think he did that for free?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys WR Dez Bryant goes off on NCAA, would be "mad" if Johnny Manziel doesn't get suspended

Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant has no ill will toward Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.

But Bryant, who was suspended before his junior at Oklahoma State for lying to NCAA about a legal dinner with Deion Sanders, said he would be mad if Manziel wasn't suspended for receiving cash payments for signing autographs, as has been alleged in numerous reports of late.

"Hell yeah, I’ll be mad," Bryant said. "I will be mad. But I don’t want him to get suspended. I will be mad more at the NCAA on how they do things. I just feel like it’s not fair. This is something I have no problem talking about because I feel like somebody needs to say something to him and let it be known how they treat people is not right."

It was a part of a lengthy conversation with Bryant after practice. Hee talked about his situation at Oklahoma State, his thoughts on possibly suing the NCAA and the need for college players to be paid.

"I did lie. I came back. I told the truth and they suspended me indefinitely," Bryant said. "The way the guy was talking to me was like I did something wrong. I didn’t know it was OK for me to go to someone’s house."

Bryant said he lied because he was scared.

"Right, so I got scared and I lied," Bryant said. "I feel like if anybody else was in my position they probably would have done the same.

Bryant wouldn't comment on whether he has considered a lawsuit against the NCAA but he does believe college players should be paid.

"I feel like they should," Bryant said. "I feel like players in the NCAA should. Those fans are coming out to watch them and support them. When they’re in college, it’s different. You don’t get paid like the NFL get paid. I think what would be OK would be to have just a little bit of money in your pocket. It’s hard in college. You’ve got to get a job [in the offseason] if you can. You’ve got to practice. It’s just hard. Sometimes the training table is just not good enough."

He also believes it should be okay for players like Manziel to sell their autograph.

"Yes. He should be able to," Bryant said. "He should be able to sign as many autographs and make as much money as he wants, because it’s his name. I feel like he’s the one who created it. He should be able to do whatever he feels as long as it’s legal and I don’t think there’s anything illegal about signing a picture of yourself and making money off himself. Shoot, the NCAA is making money off of it when they’re selling those No. 2 shirts. Why can’t he make a little bit of money off of it?"

Bryant wanted it clear that his rant is not about Manziel but the hypocrisy of the NCAA.

"I don’t want anything to happen to Manziel, I promise," Bryant said. "I don’t want anything. I just want them to know what they’re doing is not right. That’s all they need to know and they need to understand that. Seriously. They really do."

Clarence Hill

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The NCAA is completely full of shit for the most part anyway so whatever happens, or more likely doesn't happen, isn't a surprise.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Probably not but to date no one has produced evidence of payment. If so I will stand corrected.
This morning Mike Florio said that even if they can't prove that Manziel received money for the signings the NCAA could still suspend him for not abiding by some obscure NCAA bylaw which states, "players have to do everything within their power to stop the sell of products that profit from the player".

The made no sense to me because just last week Jay Bilas busted out the NCAA for all the merchandise they were selling on the NCAA's official site. All you had to do was do a keyword search on the site for Manziel, Clowney, B. Miller, etc. and it would bring up their jerseys for purchase.

Plus all the years they've been allowing EA to profit off of the players.

It's a shady bylaw considering the NCAA has been violating the hell out of it but from what they were saying they'll try to get Manziel under that bylaw since he obviously wasn't signing 4,400 autographs out of the goodness of his heart, especially to known memorabilia brokers.

dallen

Senior Tech
If they suspend him for that right before the O'Bannon lawsuit all hell will break loose

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Johnny Manziel suspended for 30 minutes

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 28, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT

As Johnny Manziel starts what will surely be his final season playing football under the strictures of the NCAA, he will do so on the sidelines. For 30 minutes.

Manziel, the Heisman Trophy-winning Texas A&M quarterback, will be suspended for the first half of this season’s first game, Billy Liucci of TexAgs.com reports. So Manziel will sit out the start of Saturday’s game against Rice but will get to take the field for the second half. Notably, that means Manziel will be on the field for the much-anticipated showdown with No. 1 Alabama on September 14, a game that will enrich the two football programs, their two millionaire coaches, the NCAA, CBS, the companies that buy commercials — basically, everyone except the players themselves.

The NCAA has been investigating Manziel since reports emerged that he had been selling his signature, which would violate the rules of the NCAA’s brand of amateurism. There has been no formal announcement of exactly what that investigation unturned, but the half-game suspension suggests that the NCAA has no proof that Manziel actually sold his signature, but that he also didn’t take any steps to prevent others from selling his signature.

Manziel has made no secret of the fact that he dislikes certain aspects of college life, and that he really dislikes the NCAA. So he’s widely expected to enter the 2014 NFL draft, which will be the first draft he is eligible for. Off-field issues aside, questions remain about whether Manziel is the kind of passer who can run an NFL offense. Manziel can start addressing those questions on the field, beginning with the third quarter on Saturday.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Johnny Manziel suspended for 30 minutes

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 28, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT

As Johnny Manziel starts what will surely be his final season playing football under the strictures of the NCAA, he will do so on the sidelines. For 30 minutes.

Manziel, the Heisman Trophy-winning Texas A&M quarterback, will be suspended for the first half of this season’s first game, Billy Liucci of TexAgs.com reports. So Manziel will sit out the start of Saturday’s game against Rice but will get to take the field for the second half. Notably, that means Manziel will be on the field for the much-anticipated showdown with No. 1 Alabama on September 14, a game that will enrich the two football programs, their two millionaire coaches, the NCAA, CBS, the companies that buy commercials — basically, everyone except the players themselves.

The NCAA has been investigating Manziel since reports emerged that he had been selling his signature, which would violate the rules of the NCAA’s brand of amateurism. There has been no formal announcement of exactly what that investigation unturned, but the half-game suspension suggests that the NCAA has no proof that Manziel actually sold his signature, but that he also didn’t take any steps to prevent others from selling his signature.

Manziel has made no secret of the fact that he dislikes certain aspects of college life, and that he really dislikes the NCAA. So he’s widely expected to enter the 2014 NFL draft, which will be the first draft he is eligible for. Off-field issues aside, questions remain about whether Manziel is the kind of passer who can run an NFL offense. Manziel can start addressing those questions on the field, beginning with the third quarter on Saturday.
:lol

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
If the NCAA later finds things that are punishable they could vacate wins.

Buuuuut it seems like all is well in aggie land so I wouldn't worry about it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:lol

:picard

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Top Bottom