The Job Thread

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
That only works if you have contacts with the company you are wanting to interview with. The companies Human Resources Office works closely with the agencies and they trust their screening process to keep unqualified personnel out of the loop. It wastes their time by taking cold interviews.
I've never had anyone deny me an informational interview. During the recession of the early 90's, I had more of them than you can count. Most of these middle management types are flattered that you want to pick their brain or learn more about their company. In HR, you're just a faceless name on a piece of paper. Conversely, at the conclusion of an interview, you get to hand them that same résumé in person.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I've never had anyone deny me an informational interview. During the recession of the early 90's, I had more of them than you can count. Most of these middle management types are flattered that you want to pick their brain or learn more about their company. In HR, you're just a faceless name on a piece of paper. Conversely, at the conclusion of an interview, you get to hand them that same résumé in person.
Nothing wrong with that approach. It is however a more time consuming effort because you are compiling information that an agency would do for you and an agency has a staff that is gleaning companies that they know is in your target range. An agency can do a lot of heavy lifting for you and free you up from doing research and setting up schedules. They essentially become your screener.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
Nah, nah.

I am so new to it, I have no idea when I can actually file.

I am hopeful I won't have to, but realistically I will eventually.
No. Do it NOW, is my advice. NOW and have all your ducks in a row for when this company who used up your best years then threw you away like so much after-Christmas party leftovers, appeals it. They will. But, you'll win if there was no cause. The unemployment office has pros who do this shit for a living, they know what you can file and why. Go Monday, I shit you not.

Really sorry to hear this has happened to you.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No. Do it NOW, is my advice. NOW and have all your ducks in a row for when this company who used up your best years then threw you away like so much after-Christmas party leftovers, appeals it. They will. But, you'll win if there was no cause. The unemployment office has pros who do this shit for a living, they know what you can file and why. Go Monday, I shit you not.

I don’t think you can file until you have left the job. Unless there has been changes.

BipolarFuk

Demoted

Agree 100%

My wife got fired for bullshit and filed. Company fought it and they won at first getting her denied any compensation from period a-b. Won't bore you with the details, but she appealed, lined up witnesses on her behalf and then the company rep didn't even show and she was awarded a bunch of back pay.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
I don’t think you can file until you have left the job. Unless there has been changes.
If I read his post correctly, he has left the job. They gave him 4 weeks severance pay. He's laid off, he does not report to work there anymore.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Agree 100%

My wife got fired for bullshit and filed. Company fought it and they won at first getting her denied any compensation from period a-b. Won't bore you with the details, but she appealed, lined up witnesses on her behalf and then the company rep didn't even show and she was awarded a bunch of back pay.
If a company terminates you I don’t think they can fight it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If I read his post correctly, he has left the job. They gave him 4 weeks severance pay. He's laid off, he does not report to work there anymore.
Okay. I didn’t read it that way but maybe so.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
If a company terminates you I don’t think they can fight it.
They can appeal, always. But they have burden of proof to show good cause when they do appeal. "Cutbacks" and "the economy is down" don't qualify. But in my experience, they typically always appeal anyway.
Okay. I didn’t read it that way but maybe so.
I could be wrong, but that's how it sounds to me.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
They can appeal, always. But they have burden of proof to show good cause when they do appeal. "Cutbacks" and "the economy is down" don't qualify. But in my experience, they typically always appeal anyway.I could be wrong, but that's how it sounds to me.
Yeah, they tried some bullshit like she walked off the job, which unemployment bought at first. That's when she lined up witnesses on her appeal. Then company no showed.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
Yeah, they tried some bullshit like she walked off the job, which unemployment bought at first. That's when she lined up witnesses on her appeal. Then company no showed.
And the funny thing is, the bennies don't even come out of their wallet, it's unemployment insurance premiums they pay. Of course the rate can go up but it's pennies to the dollar of what's paid out. They just appeal it out of spite. These guys might not, I was just prepping booze for the typical case I've seen.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Severance pay is prima faca evidence of termination or layoff.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And the funny thing is, the bennies don't even come out of their wallet, it's unemployment insurance premiums they pay. Of course the rate can go up but it's pennies to the dollar of what's paid out. They just appeal it out of spite. These guys might not, I was just prepping booze for the typical case I've seen.
Yep as an employer who has literally never fired an employee I still write checks for that shit every quarter.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Dang bro, that sucks. During the skidadl meltdown of 2015-2016 I sort of let my business go to shit after many years. I was so poor for several months and I had no idea how to get myself moving. It was a very humbling time in my life. So much of my identity was in my work/success and I felt like a loser. Obviously there were other things going as well.

Clearly this wasn't your own doing, didn't mean to sound that way. Mine was due to circumstances and such combined with my own fault.

Anyhoo, things tend to work themselves out. I don't have any pointers other than not letting yourself get too down or stagnant. Hopefully you'll find a good match quickly and get reengergized at a new gig. Who knows, this might be just the thing that ended up being good for your life.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyhoo, things tend to work themselves out. I don't have any pointers other than not letting yourself get too down or stagnant. Hopefully you'll find a good match quickly and get reengergized at a new gig. Who knows, this might be just the thing that ended up being good for your life.
Yeah the best thing to do is to treat getting a job like a job. When I first graduated law school the legal job market sucked. But it was important to sort of treat every day like a job search and interview as much as possible.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't report to work every day. But this was not a case where I "left the job".

I was told basically that there was no reason to go in. If they need something, they could call me.

And they have a couple of times.

I am fine with that. It was a pretty big shock to my staff as well.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am a pretty negative person otherwise, but that is exactly how I have looked at it.

Like I told my wife, things happen for a reason. This could be a good thing.

Now, talk to me in the third week in January, and there ain't shit going on, I might be a little different.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
I don't report to work every day. But this was not a case where I "left the job".

I was told basically that there was no reason to go in. If they need something, they could call me.

And they have a couple of times.

I am fine with that. It was a pretty big shock to my staff as well.
Have they terminated you or not? This really sounds like a shit deal they've done you.

I didn't mean to suggest you left voluntarily.

Top Bottom