The Job Thread

1bigfan13

Super Moderator
Staff member
No real complaints yet but I took a job working down in Tampa as a DIA contractor. My family's still up in Georgia. I rent an apartment down here and drive back up to Georgia 2 or 3 weekends per month.

I'll probably be down here in Tampa until next summer. I took the job in order to learn some new tools of the trade, strengthen my resume, and to make connections.

1bigfan13

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have little doubt she is. It was funny, she has been gone since the 5th and one of the other managers asked me yesterday, "hey where is that new manager of yours?". I told him the part about her quitting and he was like "yeah, she didn't look very comfortable here".
How long was she around before she quit?

1bigfan13

Super Moderator
Staff member
She literally worked two weeks in my facility, plus one when I sent her to Atlanta.
WTH. Sounds like it's definitely a case of someone who lied on their resume and was way in over their head once they got the job. Feels like a desperate cash grab on her way out the door and possibly her way of saving face, as she can tell her next interviewer/employer that she left her last job quickly because of the "hostile work environment".

Good luck to you. Hopefully it works out.

But let this be a lesson to you. In this day and age of ultra-political correctness and overzealous #MeToo-ers , don't get in anyone's personal space or say anything that can be construed as sexist within your office space. Even if it's completely innocent and nothing was said or done at the time, people will try to bring that shit up months and years later.

I saw it happen when I was in the Army. I worked in an office with a mixed group of males and females and our supervisor was a male who told vulgar jokes from time to time. Well there were 2 females who were equally as vulgar and I'd hear them tell vulgar stories all the time.

Well several months down the road the females relationship with the supervisor goes south, so they were like, "Hey lets go to the Commander and IG and tell them that Sergeant First Class BLANK is harassing us." So they turn him in for sexual harassment and me and other members of the section are forced to provide sworn statements to the Commander and the investigator about what we witnessed.

I told them straight up that yes Sergeant First BLANK told racy jokes but that the two females were equally or far worse when it came to those type of jokes. I also mentioned that that they were often times the people who initiated the trading of salacious stories/jokes within the office. I told them IMO the two females were just angry at the NCO about something unrelated and this was their method of getting back at him.

In the end nothing happened to the guy, mainly because everyone else who was interviewed kinda echoed my comments. They ended up immediately transferring the two females to other departments within our unit.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
No real complaints yet but I took a job working down in Tampa as a DIA contractor. My family's still up in Georgia. I rent an apartment down here and drive back up to Georgia 2 or 3 weekends per month.

I'll probably be down here in Tampa until next summer. I took the job in order to learn some new tools of the trade, strengthen my resume, and to make connections.
I lived in Tampa for 3.5 years. I absolutely hates in.

Are you in Tampa proper? I loved in the Valrico/Brandon area

1bigfan13

Super Moderator
Staff member
I lived in Tampa for 3.5 years. I absolutely hates in.

Are you in Tampa proper? I loved in the Valrico/Brandon area
Yeah, I'm in Tampa proper. Northern Tampa area near the USF campus.

I don't hate it but It's definitely not a place that I'd want to live long-term.

One of the things that I don't like is how easily the roads flood, especially in the South Tampa area where I work. A good 2 or 3 hour rain storm will flood the hell out of some of these streets and turn my normal 35 minute commute into a 1 hour 15 minute commute. I was shocked to see that it only took a couple hours of rain for some major streets to flood over. Luckily it's only happened twice since I've been here.

If a few hours of rain does that I'd hate to see what the area looks like after a major hurricane.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Yeah, I'm in Tampa proper. Northern Tampa area near the USF campus.

I don't hate it but It's definitely not a place that I'd want to live long-term.

One of the things that I don't like is how easily the roads flood, especially in the South Tampa area where I work. A good 2 or 3 hour rain storm will flood the hell out of some of these streets and turn my normal 35 minute commute into a 1 hour 15 minute commute. I was shocked to see that it only took a couple hours of rain for some major streets to flood over. Luckily it's only happened twice since I've been here.

If a few hours of rain does that, I'd hate to see what the area looks like after a major hurricane.
i lived in Valrico and worked on the peninsula. What a beating that was. It was either the sunshine skyway or fighting across I4 and the bridges. Ugh

1bigfan13

Super Moderator
Staff member
i lived in Valrico and worked on the peninsula. What a beating that was. It was either the sunshine skyway or fighting across I4 and the bridges. Ugh
A lot of my co-workers live out there and make that commute.

Mine isn't much better. I work on MacDill AFB so I take Dale Mabry and I-275. Luckily they give us flexibility with our work hours, so a lot of us go in earlier and leave early in the afternoon so we can avoid most of the traffic.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
A lot of my co-workers live out there and make that commute.

Mine isn't much better. I work on MacDill AFB so I take Dale Mabry and I-275. Luckily they give us flexibility with our work hours, so a lot of us go in earlier and leave early in the afternoon so we can avoid most of the traffic.
What was the weirdest for me was that I didn’t do much there. We never enjoyed most of the things that the area offered. I was super busy with work and being a leader in the church that we moved there to help start. We did get to go to the beaches near Sarasota, which are awesome.

1bigfan13

Super Moderator
Staff member
What was the weirdest for me was that I didn’t do much there. We never enjoyed most of the things that the area offered.
:lol

That describes my first month and half here.

I'm going to one of the upcoming Tampa Rays games so that'll be something. My wife will make the trip down to visit in early August and we're planning on doing a lot of the tourist stuff then.

I want to go to the Bucs-Cowboys season opener but the cheapest tickets are about $500 for nosebleed seats. I'm not paying that much for bad seats in a regular season game. So I'll be watching on TV like everyone else.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
:lol

That describes my first month and half here.

I'm going to one of the upcoming Tampa Rays games so that'll be something. My wife will make the trip down to visit in early August and we're planning on doing a lot of the tourist stuff then.

I want to go to the Bucs-Cowboys season opener but the cheapest tickets are about $500 for nosebleed seats. I'm not paying that much for bad seats in a regular season game. So I'll be watching on TV like everyone else.
I’ve been to 2 Cowboy games. One in Tampa and one in Phoenix. We lost both games.

Iamtdg

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I’ve been to 2 Cowboy games. One in Tampa and one in Phoenix. We lost both games.
I have been to 3. 2 in Texas Stadium and one in Phoenix, as well. We are 1-2 in those visits.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I've been to three games. All in Texas Stadium. Thanksgiving vs the Vikes (Moss rookie year), Parcells first game against the Falcons, and the Monday night game the Triplets were put in the ROH against the Skins.

Yep. We lost all three.

1bigfan13

Super Moderator
Staff member
Y'all are some walking bad luck charms.

I've been to 3 games as well. Two in Texas Stadium and one in Jerry World. I was at the 2001 game vs the Giants; 2002 game vs the Titans; and a MNF game in 2011 vs the Redskins.

Cowboys won all three. The 2011 game felt like the least entertaining. They didn't score a TD. All they could muster was 6 Dan Bailey FGs. But at least they won.

Top Bottom