The Great Police Work Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I disagree. I think it's a police problem because as C-Rock mentioned, there's not a lot of accountability within the police force. Yeah there are procedures in place and rules on the books that govern police behavior, but the issue is they don't enforce the standard in their own ranks and often times help cover up each other's dirt.

Like how recently a police chief from a town in Missouri was driving under the influence and was described as hammered drunk. And instead of getting arrested and prosecuted for DWI, his police chief buddy from the town where the traffic stop occurred, swoops in and tells the officer that made the traffic stop that he was just going to drive his friend home, and give him a stern talking too. :jerk

There have also been quite a few instances where good cops try to intervene and stop fellow officers from being abusive and the good cops are the ones who receive backlash for crossing the blue line.

Also, before body cams became the new standard, it was pretty much second nature for officers to "massage" arrest reports to justify their actions.

That's why I think it's more of a culture issue and not just departments hiring the wrong people.
You mean kinda like how people in our government in power get shit covered up for themselves all the time? Like I said, more of a people problem. I guess you could more accurately describe it as a people + system problem. But, people created and keep those systems in place.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
There were five of them. No way they couldn't subdue the guy. In parts they had him on the ground. No idea why they beat him the way they did.
Apparently common sense isn't permitted in the court of law. Because the guy looked like he weighed 175lbs at most. We're not talking about some hulking dude here. You telling me 5 officers couldn't have subdued one slimly built unarmed suspect without beating him like that???

Also, regarding the people always leaning into the "failure to comply/stop resisting" argument.

It seems like it's a natural human reaction to shield you head and face when you're being pepper sprayed and kicked and punched. That's just natural human survival instincts, correct?

So I always wonder are people supposed to just lay perfectly still and allow the cops to wail on them in order for them to say you're no longer resisting? Simply covering your face and head shouldn't be deemed resisting.

Cotton

Staff member
It seems like it's a natural human reaction to shield you head and face when you're being pepper sprayed and kicked and punched. That's just natural human survival instincts, correct?
I agree with you most of the times about cops, but I think you're off here. He was told many many times to put his hands behind his back and wouldn't. Not that he deserved to be beat to death for it, but had he not resisted, he would be alive right now. That video was 6 minutes long, so he resisted for at least that long.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I agree with you most of the times about cops, but I think you're off here. He was told many many times to put his hands behind his back and wouldn't. Not that he deserved to be beat to death for it, but had he not resisted, he would be alive right now. That video was 6 minutes long, so he resisted for at least that long.
I'm not just talking about the Tyre Nichols case. What I'm describing is fairly common in a lot of these police brutality cases.

IIRC, one of the reasons the officers got off for beating Rodney King was because they said he was resisting. When clearly the video showed a group of officers were whooping his ass with their batons while he was mainly in self-defense mode.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm not just talking about the Tyre Nichols case. What I'm describing is fairly common in a lot of these police brutality cases.

IIRC, one of the reasons the officers got off for beating Rodney King was because they said he was resisting. When clearly the video showed a group of officers were whooping his ass with their batons while he was mainly in self-defense mode.
Oh, please don't get me wrong. The evidence is clear they used excessive force and should be on trial. Please don't think I am defending these assholes. But, there is clear bias in how these stories are reported. See the tweet I posted above about Ashli Babbitt.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Oh, please don't get me wrong. The evidence is clear they used excessive force and should be on trial. Please don't think I am defending these assholes. But, there is clear bias in how these stories are reported. See the tweet I posted above about Ashli Babbitt.
:buddy

Smitty

DCC 4Life
From what I saw the cops didn't start out wailing on him. It's always the same.

It's "put your hands behind your head. Put your hands behind your head. PUT YOUR HANDS behind your head!!!" Or lay down, etc. Like 100 times.

The "victim" keeps repeating the same shit. "Ok, ok, I will, please stop, please stop, ok" but they never actually do what they are being ordered to do, because what they are trying to do is weasel out of it.

They keep trying to get up or free their hands or in this case, like most of the others I've seen where the victim ends up dead, because the real issue is that

a) either they are on drugs and unable to comply with simple instructions, or
b) they are too afraid of being arrested and going to jail and so they think they are gonna run.

The guy in this video, I believe, got away and ran before they caught him again.

Comply, get the cuffs on, and get in the squad car and you are in no danger of having your ass beat.

Now, that doesn't mean the cops SHOULD have beat his ass. It doesn't mean they aren't guilty of some sort of crime.

But fucking do as you are told.

The problem is, criminals often have a hard time doing that because, well, they are criminals. I want the police using some amount of force to restrain these assholes.

It's the same thing with the George Floyd shit. The guy was on drugs and unable or unwilling due to his mental state to comply. Maybe the officer also used excessive force, but pinning him to the ground is, in fact, necessary for apprehension, and apprehension is also mandatory. You do not have the option of trying to get away. If you do, strong force should be used to subdue you including a physical fight. If you have a weak heart, maybe you should have thought about that risk before resisting.

Cotton

Staff member
From what I saw the cops didn't start out wailing on him. It's always the same.

It's "put your hands behind your head. Put your hands behind your head. PUT YOUR HANDS behind your head!!!" Or lay down, etc. Like 100 times.

The "victim" keeps repeating the same shit. "Ok, ok, I will, please stop, please stop, ok" but they never actually do what they are being ordered to do, because what they are trying to do is weasel out of it.

They keep trying to get up or free their hands or in this case, like most of the others I've seen where the victim ends up dead, because the real issue is that

a) either they are on drugs and unable to comply with simple instructions, or
b) they are too afraid of being arrested and going to jail and so they think they are gonna run.

The guy in this video, I believe, got away and ran before they caught him again.

Comply, get the cuffs on, and get in the squad car and you are in no danger of having your ass beat.

Now, that doesn't mean the cops SHOULD have beat his ass. It doesn't mean they aren't guilty of some sort of crime.

But fucking do as you are told.

The problem is, criminals often have a hard time doing that because, well, they are criminals. I want the police using some amount of force to restrain these assholes.

It's the same thing with the George Floyd shit. The guy was on drugs and unable or unwilling due to his mental state to comply. Maybe the officer also used excessive force, but pinning him to the ground is, in fact, necessary for apprehension, and apprehension is also mandatory.
Can't say I can disagree with any of this. I still haven't seen enough to tell if the cops deserve to be in prison, but what they did was definitely excessive just from the pictures I've seen. But, you're dead on, had he not resisted, he would be alive.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There is no merit to the "well he couldn't put his arms behind his back because the police were wailing on him," defense.

The first 47 times they told him to put his arms behind his back, they weren't hitting him. He was just trying to get away.

The unjustifiable, and perhaps criminal, beating began after that.

Video 1: Jump to 1:15. The perp is going "Alright, alright, I'm on the ground." As if he's complying.

Go to 1:36. The guy is facing up at them despite them all ordering him to the ground. Look at his lips. He's TELLING THE POLICE TO STOP trying to arrest him.

1:55. He's still not laying down. He's trying to argue his way loose so he can break free and run. "I"m just trying to go home."

The police go "If you don't lay down -- " and he interrupts them "BUT I'M ON THE GROUND," like a petulant teenager. You know they mean to put your face down so they can handcuff you.

He's refusing for one reason only, because he plans to resist and escape.

I don't want him killed, but when a suspect exhibits this degree of resistance he must be physically forced to comply.

Video 2: The camera pans to the scene at 1:49. The suspect is on the ground but is not subdued and is still resisting arrest. The police are jostling him and one knees him, which seems justified as the suspect is still trying to get up and get away and does not have cuffs on. At 2:10 they are still trying to pull his arms behind his back, which he is resisting. Other than the knee-ing, he has not been struck on this view yet.

2:15, a third officer approaches while 2 others are trying to cuff him, and kicks him in the face. First unjustified strike. Still resisting though.

Eventually, I see numerous kicks, a punch, and then a billy club strike to the suspect, who is on the ground, but who is STILL RESISTING ARREST.

I can't justify the kicks and the punch to what appears to be the face, but up to 3:45 the suspect still hasn't complied by going to the ground, which, if I was to buy the "he's scared of getting hit," he would have done immediately. But he's not scared of getting hit, that's the problem, he's actively trying to resist and escape.

Finally, by 3:45 they force him to the ground where multiple officers are required to subdue him and keep him pinned down, where he is now in further danger of harm due to his own resistance because pinning him to the ground has become mandatory.

4:22. He's still resisting on the ground. An officer runs up and gives him an unjustified kick.

4:44. An officer finally comes and restrains his feet, which continue to kick and squirm to get free. It has taken what appears to be at least 3, perhaps 4 officers, to hold down this "175 lb" suspect.

Are the strikes justified? No, and that's why they will be in court and why they have been fired.

But blame for this incident lies also with the suspect who continued again and again to try to get away unlawfully.

Last edited:

Cujo

DCC 4Life
There is no merit to the "well he couldn't put his arms behind his back because the police were wailing on him," defense.

The first 47 times they told him to put his arms behind his back, they weren't hitting him. He was just trying to get away.

The beating began after that.

First video. Jump to 1:15. The perp is going "Alright, alright, I'm on the ground." As if he's fucking complying. :lol

Go to 1:36. The guy is facing up at them despite them all ordering him to the ground. Look at his lips. He's TELLING THE POLICE TO STOP trying to arrest him. :lol He's like "stop!"

1:55. He's still not laying down. He's trying to argue his way loose so he can break free and run. "I"m just trying to go home." LAY THE FUCK DOWN LIKE THEY ARE TELLING YOU.

The police go "If you don't lay down -- " and he interrupts them "BUT I'M ON THE GROUND," like a petulant teenager. You know they mean to put your face down so they can handcuff you.

He's refusing for one reason only, because he plans to resist and escape.

I don't want him killed, but when a suspect exhibits this degree of resistance he must be physically forced to comply.

It's hard for me to have sympathy for someone who can't obey a simple command but I certainly agree he shouldn't have been beaten to death. I do think criminals have become emboldened to resist because of the media (and many judges) always siding with them regardless of their actions.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's hard for me to have sympathy for someone who can't obey a simple command but I certainly agree he shouldn't have been beaten to death. I do think criminals have become emboldened to resist because of the media (and many judges) always siding with them regardless of their actions.
Again, no one wants him killed. And it's hard to say some of those kicks or baton strikes were required to subdue him.

But it's a much more complicated matter than "Police brutalize innocent man."

This was a criminal who required a physical confrontation to subdue him due to his own evil, malicious choices to resist arrest and escape apprehension, and he made those choices well before any unlawful or unjustified strikes were made against his person.

That is to say, he was in the wrong first and foremost and was the direct and proximate cause of the escalation of the situation which led to the police unlawful aggression. Ie, when you try to escape apprehension and physically scuffle with police to escape, you know or should know that physical restraint and force is about to escalate against your body and will continue to escalate until you have been subdued, up to or including lethal force. Like, that's why police carry guns. Violent felons sometimes have to be shot and you are becoming one through your actions.

Now, once he's pinned to the ground by two officers and a third approaches, it's hard to justify a kick to the face.

But I'm not sure I see a murder conviction here given the actions of the suspect.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Also, not a shock, the officers standing around after they've subdued him, are commenting how clearly high the guy is.

Yup.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He was driving into oncoming traffic, the one officer said. He's high.

This piece of shit could have killed any number of actual innocents.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
17 year old punk in a BMW hits another BMW. what are the odds?

Cotton

Staff member

Oldie, but a goldie. :lol

Top Bottom