The Great Police Work Thread

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You don't have an answer? That is what the picture seems to depict and on perusal of a google inguiry it essentially confirmed this. I'm not a gun person but I don't have a problewith them either

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You don't have an answer? That is what the picture seems to depict and on perusal of a google inguiry it essentially confirmed this. I'm not a gun person but I don't have a problewith them either
They are both inserted into a weapon. But, they are used in completely different types of weapon. You could say both are used for storage, but their main function is to hold the ammo as the weapon is being fired.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
They are both inserted into a weapon. But, they are used in completely different types of weapon. You could say both are used for storage, but their main function is to hold the ammo as the weapon is being fired.
Not being antagonistic but could you insert a clip then fire the weapon until the clip was empty?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Wrong.

A clip does not hold ammo in a weapon and can not be fired from. A clip is used for storage and speed insertion of ammo into the magazine or cylinder of a weapon. More than one round can be loaded at a time, whereas you'd normally load one round at a time into a magazine or cylinder.

Look at the pic you posted. The clip holding the ammo is covering the primers of the rounds. The magazines are spring loaded, allowing the round to be inserted into the chamber of the weapon where it can then make contact with the firing pin or hammer. A clip does not have that capability.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
Wrong.

A clip does not hold ammo in a weapon and can not be fired from. A clip is used for storage and speed insertion of ammo into the magazine or cylinder of a weapon. More than one round can be loaded at a time, whereas you'd normally load one round at a time into a magazine or cylinder.
Dude, I know what a clip is.

Cotton

Staff member
Dude. Not the way you are describing it, you don't.
It holds the ammo while the weapon is being fired. That is exactly how I described it. And, that's exactly what it does.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It holds the ammo while the weapon is being fired. That is exactly how I described it. And, that's exactly what it does.
No. It does not.

www.google.com It's this cool new website. You should check it out.

I used it to find this for you... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clip_(firearms) That page even has the pic you posted of the Mauser Kar 98k that was being LOADED with a stripper clip. Which is THEN REMOVED, allowing the weapon to be fired. Hell, the pic you posted even says right on it that it's used for loading the ammo into the magazine.

Cotton

Staff member
No. It does not.

www.google.com It's this cool new website. You should check it out.

I used it to find this for you... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clip_(firearms) That page even has the pic you posted of the Mauser Kar 98k that was being LOADED with a stripper clip. Which is THEN REMOVED, allowing the weapon to be fired. Hell, the pic you posted even says right on it that it's used for loading the ammo into the magazine.
From your cool wiki search...

En bloc[edit]
Several rifle designs utilize an en bloc clip to load the firearm. With this design, both the cartridges and the clip are inserted as a unit into a fixed magazine within the rifle, and the clip is usually ejected or falls from the rifle upon firing or chambering of the last round.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
From your cool wiki search...

En bloc[edit]
Several rifle designs utilize an en bloc clip to load the firearm. With this design, both the cartridges and the clip are inserted as a unit into a fixed magazine within the rifle, and the clip is usually ejected or falls from the rifle upon firing or chambering of the last round.
Ok. You are absolutely right. I was wrong. Clips are used for holding the ammo while the weapon is being fired. My bad.

LT. He doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. Just smile and nod.

Cotton

Staff member
Ok. You are absolutely right. I was wrong. Clips are used for holding the ammo while the weapon is being fired. My bad.

LT. He doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. Just smile and nod.
They are and I do know what I'm talking about. Stripper clips don't, but there are clips that remain in the weapon while it is being fired. Maybe I should have qualified that in my original post and we could have skipped this little debate.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
They are and I do know what I'm talking about. Stripper clips don't, but there are clips that remain in the weapon while it is being fired. Maybe I should have qualified that in my original post and we could have skipped this little debate.
Let's go a little further into that quote you posted above, shall we?

Other rifles utilizing en-bloc clips include the German Gewehr 88 (since 1905 replaced by stripper clips), the Mexican Mondragón, the French Berthier Mle 1890 and RSC Mle 1917, the Italian M1870/87 Vetterli-Vitali and M1891 Carcano, the various (Romanian, Dutch, Portuguese) turnbolt Mannlichers, the Austro-Hungarian straight-pull Steyr-Mannlicher M1895, the Hungarian FÉG 35M, and the US M1895 Lee Navy, M1 Garand and Pedersen T1E3.

I guess if you want to go back to 100+ year old obscure rifles that are not being used anymore, you are technically correct. But could you find us a modern weapon, built in say... the last 75 years that uses these en-bloc clips? Otherwise, no. Clips do not hold the ammo in a weapon WHILE it is being fired. Sorry.

Cotton

Staff member
Let's go a little further into that quote you posted above, shall we?

Other rifles utilizing en-bloc clips include the German Gewehr 88 (since 1905 replaced by stripper clips), the Mexican Mondragón, the French Berthier Mle 1890 and RSC Mle 1917, the Italian M1870/87 Vetterli-Vitali and M1891 Carcano, the various (Romanian, Dutch, Portuguese) turnbolt Mannlichers, the Austro-Hungarian straight-pull Steyr-Mannlicher M1895, the Hungarian FÉG 35M, and the US M1895 Lee Navy, M1 Garand and Pedersen T1E3.

I guess if you want to go back to 100+ year old obscure rifles that are not being used anymore, you are technically correct. But could you find us a modern weapon, built in say... the last 75 years that uses these en-bloc clips? Otherwise, no. Clips do not hold the ammo in a weapon WHILE it is being fired. Sorry.
Okay, I think that's fair. I'll leave it at that.

Top Bottom