The Great Police Work Thread

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sure and you can get killed from a pointy stick too, doesn't mean you should kill someone because they come at you with a pointy sick.

If you can't handle someone with a 2 inch pocket knife without killing them you have no business being a police officer. Especially if there are multiple officers present.

Again, I have no idea what the guy in this instance did or didn't have. Didn't watch the video and I'm not going to cry over a situation where it sounds like the guy wanted to die. But let's use a little common sense here when talking about the use of deadly force.
I tend to agree. A one on one situation it precarious and an officer can be in fear of his life under this circumstances but if other officers are present I am pretty sure the individual can be curtailed and rendered to a non serious assailant.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I wouldn't say easily unless you have had some training.
sar·casm
ˈsärˌkazəm/Submit
noun
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
"his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"
synonyms: derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn, sneering, scoffing;

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
sar·casm
ˈsärˌkazəm/Submit
noun
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
"his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"
synonyms: derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn, sneering, scoffing;
Thank you. I have difficulty with sarcasm as a written matter if there isn't something to give an indication that the statement is not to be taken seriously. I read what is presented and take it as presented. I rely on things like the emotioncons to help me with such things as sarcastic statements. I am aware I am of a different cultural mindset than the younger generation but there are some things I fall back on my environmental exposure to deal with.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I haven't watched the video but know he called in a armed suspect report for his own description, was he acting like he had a gun in the video?

midswat

... soon
I don't think cops get paid enough to have to try and disarm anyone armed and with bad intentions. Watch the video - the cops tried to talk to and reason with the idiot. Idiot wanted to die and got what he wanted.

There are plenty of instances where cops are in the wrong. The instance in SC where the cop shot the old man in the back is one of those. I'm all for cops being crucified when the situation warrants. But trying to champion this instance as cops being bad is moronic and agenda driven.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't watched the video but know he called in a armed suspect report for his own description, was he acting like he had a gun in the video?
I don't think so. The video isn't great but he was moving really slow. I guess he was saying "shoot me" right before they shot him. They repeatedly told him to drop the knife but the video is from too far away to see what he had in his hand.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't think cops get paid enough to have to try and disarm anyone armed and with bad intentions. Watch the video - the cops tried to talk to and reason with the idiot. Idiot wanted to die and got what he wanted.

There are plenty of instances where cops are in the wrong. The instance in SC where the cop shot the old man in the back is one of those. I'm all for cops being crucified when the situation warrants. But trying to champion this instance as cops being bad is moronic and agenda driven.
They don't get paid enough but it is their job and what they have sworn and committed to.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
Oklahoma City Cops Tase, Shoot, Kill Deaf Man
There were no body cameras, because the union delayed their deployment.

Ed Krayewski|September 21, 2017 11:20 am

Police in Oklahoma City tased and fatally shot a deaf man, Magdiel Sanchez, who they said was wielding a metal pipe. Police reportedly shot him when he was at least 15 feet away from any officers.

The cops were not wearing body cameras. Although the city council voted to introduce body cameras two years ago, not all officers are equipped with them, thanks to objections from the police union—more evidence of how police unions make reducing police violence and misconduct more difficult.

Police arrived at Sanchez's home Tuesday after following his father, who had been involved in a hit and run. A police spokesperson, Capt. Bo Mathews, told the press he didn't know if anyone was injured in the crash but knew that, at the very least, the car didn't hit a pedestrian.

The cop who followed Sanchez's father home saw Sanchez with a two-foot-long pipe, "perceived" a threat, and called for backup. A neighbor has told NBC News that Sanchez often carried the pipe to fend off stray dogs.

When other officers arrived, they ordered Sanchez to drop the weapon and get on the ground. Neighbors yelled to the police that Sanchez was deaf, but it's unclear whether the police heard them.

After he failed to obey their commands, Sanchez was tased and shot.

Oklahoma City police shoot a lot of people—a resident of Oklahoma City is 20 times more likely to be shot and killed by police than a resident of New York City is.

That makes the police union's delay of the deployment of body cameras even worse.

The Oklahoma City Council first voted to equip officers with body cameras in September 2015, but it took until last November for the city to get the union onboard. The local Fraternal Order of Police objected to the cameras because of a policy that would have allowed supervisors to review footage at their discretion. An arbitrator agreed with the union.

You read that right: The police union objected to supervisors using body camera footage to supervise their subordinates, and an arbitrator thought this made sense.

When a cop shoots someone while another cop was tasing the same guy and neighbors are yelling that the person was deaf, it probably isn't the first questionable incident in his career, just the first to be serious enough to gain widespread attention. Bad cops usually don't start with killing. The same kinds of character flaws—sloppiness, jumpiness, lack of respect for others—lead to less severe misconduct as well.

When supervisors can review body camera footage at their pleasure, they're more likely to identify such cops before they kill. Unions should not be able to thwart that kind of accountability.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
This is the slippery slope argument in action.... The test to determine what is life-threatening conduct on the part of a suspect has inched closer and closer to common, every day situations.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
A billy club, tazer, or any other non lethal force would have been fine in this situation.

But give some cunts a badge and gun, and it's human hunting season.
Like you have a real clue. I haven't seen the vid, but just from your reaction to everyone else's, You don't know what your talking about and should STHU.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
There is a reason why for example in the state of Missouri we differentiate between a 4 inch or less folding blade and anything longer. You might be able to kill someoine with a blade like that but it is extremely difficult and one can easily defend themselves from it without the need for deadly force. The long the blade, the deeper it goes and obviously the easier it is to do serious bodily harm.

In case you're curious here is the statutory definition of a knife in Missouri:

(12) "Knife", any dagger, dirk, stiletto, or bladed hand instrument that is readily capable of inflicting serious physical injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person. For purposes of this chapter, "knife" does not include any ordinary pocketknife with no blade more than four inches in length;
That may be true, but I bet in a case of an assault if it involves a 4 inch pocket knife it still gets filed as a aggravated assault or attempted murder as it would here in Texas. A blade of any sort that is sharp enough will penetrate a bullet proof vest, so I bet the use of deadly force was appropriate.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Oklahoma City Cops Tase, Shoot, Kill Deaf Man
There were no body cameras, because the union delayed their deployment.

Ed Krayewski|September 21, 2017 11:20 am

Police in Oklahoma City tased and fatally shot a deaf man, Magdiel Sanchez, who they said was wielding a metal pipe. Police reportedly shot him when he was at least 15 feet away from any officers.

The cops were not wearing body cameras. Although the city council voted to introduce body cameras two years ago, not all officers are equipped with them, thanks to objections from the police union—more evidence of how police unions make reducing police violence and misconduct more difficult.

Police arrived at Sanchez's home Tuesday after following his father, who had been involved in a hit and run. A police spokesperson, Capt. Bo Mathews, told the press he didn't know if anyone was injured in the crash but knew that, at the very least, the car didn't hit a pedestrian.

The cop who followed Sanchez's father home saw Sanchez with a two-foot-long pipe, "perceived" a threat, and called for backup. A neighbor has told NBC News that Sanchez often carried the pipe to fend off stray dogs.

When other officers arrived, they ordered Sanchez to drop the weapon and get on the ground. Neighbors yelled to the police that Sanchez was deaf, but it's unclear whether the police heard them.

After he failed to obey their commands, Sanchez was tased and shot.

Oklahoma City police shoot a lot of people—a resident of Oklahoma City is 20 times more likely to be shot and killed by police than a resident of New York City is.

That makes the police union's delay of the deployment of body cameras even worse.

The Oklahoma City Council first voted to equip officers with body cameras in September 2015, but it took until last November for the city to get the union onboard. The local Fraternal Order of Police objected to the cameras because of a policy that would have allowed supervisors to review footage at their discretion. An arbitrator agreed with the union.

You read that right: The police union objected to supervisors using body camera footage to supervise their subordinates, and an arbitrator thought this made sense.

When a cop shoots someone while another cop was tasing the same guy and neighbors are yelling that the person was deaf, it probably isn't the first questionable incident in his career, just the first to be serious enough to gain widespread attention. Bad cops usually don't start with killing. The same kinds of character flaws—sloppiness, jumpiness, lack of respect for others—lead to less severe misconduct as well.

When supervisors can review body camera footage at their pleasure, they're more likely to identify such cops before they kill. Unions should not be able to thwart that kind of accountability.
This reads bad, but this reporter is making a lot of assumptions and simplifications that I bet are not completely accurate and don't tell the whole story. Typical slanted reporting. But I also agree on the face this doesn't sound like a completely good shooting based only on these details. I'd have to see more.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I want to believe that 3 trained Police officers can handle a slow moving, average size civilian with a pocket knife in a way other than deadly force.
I probably would have emptied the clip on the idiot, but I'm not trained and paid to handle that type of situation.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I want to believe that 3 trained Police officers can handle a slow moving, average size civilian with a pocket knife in a way other than deadly force.
I probably would have emptied the clip on the idiot, but I'm not trained and paid to handle that type of situation.
Yeah.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It's called a magazine, sir.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So a clip is storage and a magazine is for insertion into the weapon?

Top Bottom