The Great Police Work Thread

Jiggyfly

Banned
That's a generalization. Obviously not a reliable position.
Not really it has shown to be true almost every time a full fledged investigation has taken place.

Cincinnati, Ferguson and Chicago are the 3 latest examples.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not really it has shown to be true almost every time a full fledged investigation has taken place.

Cincinnati, Ferguson and Chicago are the 3 latest examples.
That represents maybe 1 percent of the total police department personnel.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That represents maybe 1 percent of the total police department personnel.
And for them to get away with stuff it takes a good part of other personnel and leadership.

There are plenty of examples of officers filing similar paperwork covering for misconduct.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
So what happened with the cop that arrested the teen after verbally abusing her mother?

You were involved in that, correct?
Yes I was. Officer received 10 days without pay, was removed from the street for the time being and is being required to attend several courses on de-escalation, procedural justice and some others that haven't been decided by the chief yet. My recommendation wasn't as harsh but was based on a disciplinary matrix we have to go by. The Chief can and did go beyond it.
That of course wasn't enough for some in the community while others thought it to harsh. Needless to say, officers thought it too much. The forums that I've attended since have been a sideshow. The chief trying to talk to people while the community claims that it was all racism and could be nothing else.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I agree with needing to have each others back but what does that have to do with lying when one "brother" does something questionable or flat out wrong.

One has nothing to do with the other, at least the military has an honor code.
It happens in any field and history of policing it was rampant. It isn't as prevalent now as it used to be because the costs are too high.

Thanks I appreciate it, that is awesome, specifically the continuing education. I would assume there is a lot of conflict resolution classes and training. In some of the highly publicized cases, I think (layman opinion) more of that would have helped.
There is many classes that contain elements of conflict resolution. in addition, they try to teach historical cultural themes as understanding to how people behave and are used to communciating. The whole idea is to teach folk that certain reactions aren't intended as threats, but is a cultural norm. Emotional intelegnce, Procedural Justice etc all designed to improve understanding, communication skills and reduce the need for physicality. But, it will never eliminate the need for it. My officer sadly forgot all that training the day he was filmed bahaving stupidly.

Except with cops they seem to go out of the way to get everyone lined up behind a lie.
Nice generalization there Jiggs. It still happens but it is still only a tiny portion of officers. Probably a smaller percentage than there are actual criminals in the minority communities. Should we all continue to generalize that?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Forts, have you guys looked into the book, Verbal Judo? It was written by George Thompson and Jerry Jenkins. Our officers have been required to read and study this book as part of their continuing training. It's a damn good book on words to use to not only de-escalate, but also words to use to keep a situation from escalating to begin with. Might be worth looking into.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yes I was. Officer received 10 days without pay, was removed from the street for the time being and is being required to attend several courses on de-escalation, procedural justice and some others that haven't been decided by the chief yet. My recommendation wasn't as harsh but was based on a disciplinary matrix we have to go by. The Chief can and did go beyond it.
That of course wasn't enough for some in the community while others thought it to harsh. Needless to say, officers thought it too much. The forums that I've attended since have been a sideshow. The chief trying to talk to people while the community claims that it was all racism and could be nothing else.
The punishment sounds about right and of course everybody will not be happy, such is life.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Forts, have you guys looked into the book, Verbal Judo? It was written by George Thompson and Jerry Jenkins. Our officers have been required to read and study this book as part of their continuing training. It's a damn good book on words to use to not only de-escalate, but also words to use to keep a situation from escalating to begin with. Might be worth looking into.
I don't think we've ever had to read the book but we did teach the verbal judo thing the first 5 years or so I came here. We still teach similar things but it just isn't called that anymore.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
The punishment sounds about right and of course everybody will not be happy, such is life.
Sadly someone in the department didn't feel it about right and released the officer's personal history and some previous minor discipline. That investigation is ongoing and someone will likely lose their job and possibly prosecuted over it.

I didn't comment on it before but will tell you now, I was saddened by the officer's behavior. I was out of town when it first happened and someone sent me a link to the youtube video, the first one that was about 6 minutes. When I watched it, I thought to myself, I can't believe what the officers just said, or how stupid his behavior was. I don't know the officer well, but he rarely shows emotion or gets riled up. Regardless. Then I found out about the 30 minute version and watched it. Afterward when everyone said "see. look what sort of people they are and how they behaved and spoke to each other and the man that supposedly grabbed the son. To several officers I had to explain that it made no difference in how the officer behaved because he wasn't there to see it. And, his behavior toward a citizen should only have been affected had it become violent. So in effect in made no difference.
When I talked to the officer about what I recommended and what would likely happen with the higher ranks on his discipline, he commented himself that he didn't understand how or why he behaved that way himself. He knew he was in the wrong and had even made plans through a third party to contact the family and privately apologize. Then the family and the attorney kept getting on the news here talking about how he should be fired and No one in the city would make it happen and the officer changed his mind about it. For the family and the attorney now it's all about dollar signs in the suit I'm sure they will file.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
I don't think we've ever had to read the book but we did teach the verbal judo thing the first 5 years or so I came here. We still teach similar things but it just isn't called that anymore.
Yeah, I'm probably dating myself calling it that. :lol

We also used it to help train our parking enforcement officers. They aren't cops, but you would be amazed how parking makes people lose their ever-loving minds. So, they need to have that skill of de-escalation, as well.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

We also used it to help train our parking enforcement officers. They aren't cops, but you would be amazed how parking makes people lose their ever-loving minds. So, they need to have that skill of de-escalation, as well.
You mean you can't tell them to go lose their football game anymore?

Cotton

Staff member
You mean you can't tell them to go lose their football game anymore?
I'm quite sure this is a reference I should get, but it is far too early, and I have not had near enough coffee.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Hearing you talk just reminds me of how god damn awful it was to park in college.

Cotton

Staff member
Hearing you talk just reminds me of how god damn awful it was to park in college.
Tech students actually have it pretty easy. We have about a 1200 parking space surplus. But, you are always going to get those that bitch because they have to actually ride a bus or walk.

Rev

Staff member
I'm quite sure this is a reference I should get, but it is far too early, and I have not had near enough coffee.
And too many years...

Rev

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tech students actually have it pretty easy. We have about a 1200 parking space surplus. But, you are always going to get those that bitch because they have to actually ride a bus or walk.
At Iowa it was like constant driving around just for the pleasure of shoving a bunch of coins in a meter.

townsend

Banned
Dealing with that now. I've learned to just park on the outskirts of the UTA campus and walk. I've started just leaving about half an hour early to account for the long walk.

Top Bottom