The Great Police Work Thread

townsend

Banned
Yeah but it also doesn't sound like the cops were the ones that put an end to it. Here is more of it:

During a school committee meeting, concerns were raised that not all children would feel comfortable with a police presence at the beginning of the school day. Others started to question the long-term impacts of the program and wondered if the program was valuable.

After the meeting, police were asked to pause the program, which they did.
That syncs more with Forts perspective. I may have misread how it came to an end. Still it reads as a respectful and thoughtful exchange, and one the police had some say in.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
One thing that stands out to me about this is, as a society, we have pampered our fucking kids too god damn much. We have created this generation of pansy titbags. We never want to make them do anything that might make them "uncomfortable". Same situation here. It's ridiculous.

townsend

Banned
One thing that stands out to me about this is, as a society, we have pampered our fucking kids too god damn much. We have created this generation of pansy titbags. We never want to make them do anything that might make them "uncomfortable". Same situation here. It's ridiculous.
I think it's hard to say. It is true that parents are overprotective, but also you don't know why kids might be upset by a police presence.

If the cops they've interacted with were like this, they should be upset.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think it's hard to say. It is true that parents are overprotective, but also you don't know why kids might be upset by a police presence.

I posted something in the wrong thread. The comment was meant for another thread.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

I would love to beat the shit out of that cop for his initial reaction.

Also, can someone muzzle the screaming girl that has it on live?

townsend

Banned
I would love to beat the shit out of that cop for his initial reaction.

Also, can someone muzzle the screaming girl that has it on live?
I know this was discussed earlier in the thread. But man that burned my blood. I really have to wonder how different that conversation would have gone if the man was black and the family was white.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know this was discussed earlier in the thread. But man that burned my blood. I really have to wonder how different that conversation would have gone if the man was black and the family was white.
What bothers me most about the officer is that he literally just felt like if someone pisses him off he can take them to jail. That's one power tripping officer right there. It sucks that officers have to deal with rude people some times but part of their job is to ignore it and do their job.

townsend

Banned
What bothers me most about the officer is that he literally just felt like if someone pisses him off he can take them to jail. That's one power tripping officer right there. It sucks that officers have to deal with rude people some times but part of their job is to ignore it and do their job.
Same shit happened in with Sandra Bland, God knows how often it occurs when no one's taping.

This is why I'm not cool with the spoiled kids narrative. This guy showed up to an incident where a guy had assaulted a child, and ended up arresting the family of the assaulted child. That gives you a pretty clear idea of why black kids might feel uncomfortable on "high five fridays".

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
When I talked to him about it this was one of the things that really stuck in my craw. His reasoning for it was that he felt if he used the same language that she did it might have some impact in getting her to calm down.
I will tell you, cops use threats of arrest all the time to try and calm a circumstance down. EX. You have a couple of guys arguing and yelling at one another and they won't shut up long enough to listen. You as an officer yell, "If you two don't calm down long enough to sort this out I'll take you both to jail for disturbing the peace!" Or something like that. Happens every day.
He knew she had multiple warrants before he got to the scene because we generally run people or have our real time crime center do it as we are going to a call if we have the information.
What he should have said was something on the lines of "You should be aware that you have warrants and if you don't calm down so we can sort this out I'll have to arrest you for them" or something to that affect. I played the video for him and explained that to anyone watching that video it sounds like if she pissed you off you were just gonna make crap up to arrest her. Hell, I was in Wisconsin when I first saw it and that's the impression I got.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Same shit happened in with Sandra Bland, God knows how often it occurs when no one's taping.
This guy isn't a racist nor is he an idiot. He did however behave like one in this instance. And it has nothing to do with or without video. We've only had body cams for a few years now and all the officers still don't have them. But when they came to us Martin was one of the first that wanted one because he knew the value. I'm not saying the guy is perfect, but one incident of this type should label someone as a racist, failure or unsalvageable. Record 10 hours of every workday of your life and see what you say sometimes you may not realize or wish you hadn't.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
This guy isn't a racist nor is he an idiot. He did however behave like one in this instance. And it has nothing to do with or without video. We've only had body cams for a few years now and all the officers still don't have them. But when they came to us Martin was one of the first that wanted one because he knew the value. I'm not saying the guy is perfect, but one incident of this type should label someone as a racist, failure or unsalvageable. Record 10 hours of every workday of your life and see what you say sometimes you may not realize or wish you hadn't.
I'm all for cops doing their jobs but if someone struck my child I would be livid. If a cop came and pretended he deserved it I would lose my mind.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I'm all for cops doing their jobs but if someone struck my child I would be livid. If a cop came and pretended he deserved it I would lose my mind.
I would too, but just so the story of the guy hitting or choking doesn't get perpetuated, and again I'm not saying what the guy did was right either, but....The guy is an Israeli and has talked to those kids before about littering. His yard is like his kids to him and he tries to maintain it as you can see in the video where he is painting his fence. (plus to dispell any racist thoughts regarding him, his wife is black) He was working in the yard and the boy and his sister were walking down the sidewalk and threw stuff down in his yard. He told them to pick it up and they refused. HE put his hand on the back of his neck and pointed him i the direction of the whatever it was and again told them to pick it up. There was no strike, there was no choke, and there wasn't anything any more violent than what you may have done to your own kid if you tried to make them comply by making them look at what the issue is. The dude got cited for assault by contact.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think it was collaborative, but my point was that F&F wanted to paint it as the police getting shut down by the school, when the police chief was the one hearing the complaints.

Because right wingers always want to paint cops as this oppressed minority.

The story reads a lot differently when it's "cops didn't want to disrupt the education of students who were uncomfortable around them", instead of "elementary school bans cops cuz of ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS"

Officers deserve credit for recognizing some issues with their community and acting compassionately. But that won't make you upset, and if you aren't upset, Fox News isn't doing it's job.
#AltFacts.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
So I answered a call yesterday with some of my officers. It went out as a people fighting in an apartment complex call. When we arrived all the parties involved had gone except the primary victim was supposedly in an apartment upstairs. So there is a guy who took the victim into the apartment standing outside it, and a 5 year old boy by the door. The officer politely asks the boy to move a bit so he can knock on the door and move himself and the boy to the side in case a shot came through the door(police paranoia I know :art). The Dad says to the officer, he won't talk to you. When I asked him why he said and I quote "because I teach him that cops kill black folk.":picard
So we sit down and talk to the boy for a few minutes more and have him smiling and laughing a bit with us when we left. I then have a conversation with the Dad about it but trying to talk logic to someone that far gone was hard.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
It amazes me that some police officers still have this mindset that they should be allowed to go unchecked, and that body cams are a bad thing. I just had a short debate/discussion about this topic with a co-worker who's a full time cop and reservist in the military.

His arguments were that the body cams interfere with their ability to do tactical debriefs, the 30 second delays, and how the cams change your normal behavior because you know you're being recorded.

I brought up the several instances where cops were caught falsifying reports and planting evidence thanks to body cam footage. I also pointed out how if not for that video footage it would be a case of "he said, she said", and we all know that the average citizen is not getting the benefit of the doubt in those situations.

Scary how some of them have this mindset that their personal comfort should trump accountability.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It amazes me that some police officers still have this mindset that they should be allowed to go unchecked, and that body cams are bad thing. I just had a short debate/discussion with a co-worker who's a full time cop and reservist in the military about this topic.

His arguments were that the body cams interfere with their ability to do tactical debriefs, the 30 second delays, and how the cams change your normal behavior because you know you're being recorded.

I brought up the several instances where cops were caught falsifying reports and planting evidence thanks to body cam footage. I also pointed out how if not for that video footage it would be a case of "he said, she said", and we all know that the average citizen is not getting the benefit of the doubt in those situations.

Scary how some of them have this mindset that their personal comfort should trump accountability.
I agree. While I support law enforcement I also realize there are some who would go above the law if they were not checked.

Top Bottom