The Great Police Work Thread

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would agree with this. Obviously, there are times that cops do unsavory things that are covered up (which is terrible), but I think the camaraderie (brotherhood) is essential to the job's function.
Well the brotherhood is what breeds the problems and the mistrust with the communities. And while I appreciate their friendships but clearly the brotherhood goes too far. What about their job could they not do without it?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well the brotherhood is what breeds the problems and the mistrust with the communities. And while I appreciate their friendships but clearly the brotherhood goes too far. What about their job could they not do without it?
Lack of trust in each other for one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lack of trust in each other for one.
But what can't they do? Or do you think they can't trust each other to do their job as part of a team? Because I'd say many careers do that without the "brotherhood" that police supposedly require.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Well, upping the pre-education requirement is literally making it harder.
I get what you are saying, no need to keep repeating. It really shouldn't be super easy to be a police officer in my mind.

I believe a Better trained & educated police force will make better police.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I am curious if a lot of our policing issues could be better solved with better and more extensive training.

I'd be interested to know from [MENTION=49]fortsbest[/MENTION] what is the length of the training it takes to become police officer and is there any ongoing training/certifications an officer has to maintain.

If the training is standard in duration and content (aside from local and state law) throughout the country.

Particularly interested in the training sheriffs officers receive throughout the country and his opinion of the training they receive.

You may not know all the answers or resources, but any insight would be helpful. Thank you in advance.
TCOLE, the state licensing agent in Texas requires a minimum of nearly 700 hours training on top of normal educational requirements. In fort Worth our academy is over 8 months long. If teh officers then pass the licensing test they go to nearly 4 months of field training with officers out in the field. So over a years with of schooling and training. The state requires continuing education usually 40 hours and some mandatory classes. Our mandatory classes usually take us to between 80-100 hours per year of training. I don't think most departments require as much as we do and we are adding more classes every year. Training has become a priority for us in the past 5-10 years here and is most welcome. I can't vouch for other agencies other than to say training costs money and time and most departments are short on both.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I get what you are saying, no need to keep repeating. It really shouldn't be super easy to be a police officer in my mind.

I believe a Better trained & educated police force will make better police.
Hey ease up there, pal. You said that more education doesn't make it harder but it clearly does.

You want some of this?!!!

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
But what can't they do? Or do you think they can't trust each other to do their job as part of a team? Because I'd say many careers do that without the "brotherhood" that police supposedly require.
Maybe a better phrase is they have to rely on each other so it's a brotherhood for trusting on relying on each other. They might do their job to a degree as a loner but in critical situations someone needs to have your back. That's what a brotherhood is. I am voicing this as a former military person because I have never been a law enforcement officer.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah it may not be. Frankly I think we just need screen applicants better and do something to break some of the "brotherhood" culture that officers have. I don't think there are that many bad officers out there but they get covered up by fellow officers who feel like it's their duty to protect each other.

But really the only way to solve an officer shortage is to raise pay (benefits) or make it easier to become an officer.
That is the biggest issue and it needs to include the DA office as well.

Jiggyfly

Banned
TCOLE, the state licensing agent in Texas requires a minimum of nearly 700 hours training on top of normal educational requirements. In fort Worth our academy is over 8 months long. If teh officers then pass the licensing test they go to nearly 4 months of field training with officers out in the field. So over a years with of schooling and training. The state requires continuing education usually 40 hours and some mandatory classes. Our mandatory classes usually take us to between 80-100 hours per year of training. I don't think most departments require as much as we do and we are adding more classes every year. Training has become a priority for us in the past 5-10 years here and is most welcome. I can't vouch for other agencies other than to say training costs money and time and most departments are short on both.
So what happened with the cop that arrested the teen after verbally abusing her mother?

You were involved in that, correct?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Maybe a better phrase is they have to rely on each other so it's a brotherhood for trusting on relying on each other. They might do their job to a degree as a loner but in critical situations someone needs to have your back. That's what a brotherhood is. I am voicing this as a former military person because I have never been a law enforcement officer.
I agree with needing to have each others back but what does that have to do with lying when one "brother" does something questionable or flat out wrong.

One has nothing to do with the other, at least the military has an honor code.

townsend

Banned
I agree with needing to have each others back but what does that have to do with lying when one "brother" does something questionable or flat out wrong.

I'll be honest. In the military I definitely lied to cover peoples asses. I think it's a fundamental human instinct.

Of course that was things like a guy forgetting to sign out of the logs, not arresting or killing a human for no reason.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

That's correct one has nothing to do with the other. I was addressing the brotherhood position. When you lie you are on your own.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Thanks I appreciate it, that is awesome, specifically the continuing education. I would assume there is a lot of conflict resolution classes and training. In some of the highly publicized cases, I think (layman opinion) more of that would have helped.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Hey ease up there, pal. You said that more education doesn't make it harder but it clearly does.

You want some of this?!!!
No I said I didn't look at it as making it harder. There is a difference. :thumbsup

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Thanks I appreciate it, that is awesome, specifically the continuing education. I would assume there is a lot of conflict resolution classes and training. In some of the highly publicized cases, I think (layman opinion) more of that would have helped.
Two words.... verbal judo.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Two words.... verbal judo.

Not sure what you are trying to say, that a problem can't be deescalated without resorting to some kind of violence (i.e. shooting, tazing, pepper spray, take down, bum rush, etc.) or were you just being funny?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So you don't believe a problem/issue can be deescalated without resorting to some kind of violence (i.e. shooting, tazing, pepper spray, take down, bum rush, etc.)?
Google verbal judo. It's the essence of defusing a situation with words, not actions. Book was written by a cop.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That's correct one has nothing to do with the other. I was addressing the brotherhood position. When you lie you are on your own.
Except with cops they seem to go out of the way to get everyone lined up behind a lie.

Top Bottom