The Coronavirus Thread...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Anything portraying black people in the South pre-1960 is racist; unless the media in question is somehow also villifying white people at the same time.
Supposedly it was controversial even when it was released. I didn't realize that.

The issue seems to be more with the fact that it appears to some people to depict slaves as happy with their situation since it is set in the pre civil war south.

Except it isn't, it's set in the reconstruction era post civil war apparently. But Disney supposedly intentionally didn't make that clear because they tried to play both sides and didn't want to offend southerners.

It's a shame because the film was pretty innovative for its time. And I'm very skeptical that it's actually racist.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah the actions by NY,NJ, and Fla. hold a great deal of the deaths of Covid victims by all using the Nursing home methodology. I am surprised that Trump didn’t relate that while responding to Biden’s claim of Trump being fully to blame. These actions at one time made up a large percentage of the total deaths in this country. It also pretty much verified that the virus wasn’t as deadly as advertised unless there were existing maladies such as those in the Nursing homes were affected by it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supposedly it was controversial even when it was released. I didn't realize that.

The issue seems to be more with the fact that it appears to some people to depict slaves as happy with their situation since it is set in the pre civil war south.

Except it isn't, it's set in the reconstruction era post civil war apparently. But Disney supposedly intentionally didn't make that clear because they tried to play both sides and didn't want to offend southerners.

It's a shame because the film was pretty innovative for its time. And I'm very skeptical that it's actually racist.
Can't say I've ever watched it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
It's from the forties so it's old, but it has the song zip a dee doo da so in a way it's iconic.
I vaguely remember seeing it, I think it was on network tv on Sunday? Disney movie night back when they did that in the 70's

Genghis Khan

I vaguely remember seeing it, I think it was on network tv on Sunday? Disney movie night back when they did that in the 70's

Probably was on back then. They've more or less swept it under the rug since probably at least the early 90s.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Probably was on back then. They've more or less swept it under the rug since probably at least the early 90s.
Yeah we had shows like Archie Bunker back then, that shit would never get made today

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

OMFG :picard

but seriously if I was in Chicago and had lost my business due to these fuckers lockdowns seeing them laugh and cosplay like this would prob push me over the edge to do something very very bad

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

OMFG :picard

but seriously if I was in Chicago and had lost my business due to these fuckers lockdowns seeing them laugh and cosplay like this would prob push me over the edge to do something very very bad
Stupid bitch.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I have never heard anyone claim they believe it was set in pre-Civil War south. I suspect that is a deliberate ignorance, feigned because it's easier to attack the subject matter in that case.

As for post-civil war, that's then exactly what I said: Anything portraying black people in the South pre-1960 is racist; unless the media in question is somehow also villifying white people at the same time

Since Song of the South does not villify white people, but instead depicts black people who are simple and happy in their poverty, and they aren't crusading against Jim Crow and discrimination, it's therefore a racist portrayal.

Which is silly because for as terrible as things were, not every piece of media needs to cover that angle, and there was day to day happiness to be found. Same as a movie about poor white irishmen or something, does it have to attack Robber Barons? Is it politically incorrect for not portraying them as miserable?

We can then take it a step further and say it's ridiculous, because Splash Mountain doesn't depict any of the black people. Only the animals, which were a small side story of the actual film itself.

Genghis Khan

I have never heard anyone claim they believe it was set in pre-Civil War south. I suspect that is a deliberate ignorance, feigned because it's easier to attack the subject matter in that case.

As for post-civil war, that's then exactly what I said: Anything portraying black people in the South pre-1960 is racist; unless the media in question is somehow also villifying white people at the same time

Since Song of the South does not villify white people, but instead depicts black people who are simple and happy in their poverty, and they aren't crusading against Jim Crow and discrimination, it's therefore a racist portrayal.

Which is silly because for as terrible as things were, not every piece of media needs to cover that angle, and there was day to day happiness to be found. Same as a movie about poor white irishmen or something, does it have to attack Robber Barons? Is it politically incorrect for not portraying them as miserable?

We can then take it a step further and say it's ridiculous, because Splash Mountain doesn't depict any of the black people. Only the animals, which were a small side story of the actual film itself.

I agree with you. I got my information about the pre civil war from Wikipedia, so take that for whatever it's worth.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I don’t think the film attempted to depict any racial topics at all because it was primarily about a white child and a black individual who formed a bond and how the black individual was able to relate to the child through stories of animals and the good/bad, right/wrong ethics. The message although obvious was always good and right things prevailed eventually. Now I’ll admit it has been many, many years since I have seen the film but this is what has stuck to me like a tarbaby.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don’t think the film attempted to depict any racial topics at all because it was primarily about a white child and a black individual who formed a bond and how the black individual was able to relate to the child through stories of animals and the good/bad, right/wrong ethics. The message although obvious was always good and right things prevailed eventually. Now I’ll admit it has been many, many years since I have seen the film but this is what has stuck to me like a tarbaby.
Of course that is what the film was about, but I think you are missing my point.

SJWs are trying to twist it's meaning because of the reasons I explained.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don’t think the film attempted to depict any racial topics at all because it was primarily about a white child and a black individual who formed a bond and how the black individual was able to relate to the child through stories of animals and the good/bad, right/wrong ethics. The message although obvious was always good and right things prevailed eventually.
I didn't see this movie but I remember my mom and grandparents reading me the Uncle Remus book, and this is how I saw it. I don't remember thinking anything remotely negative about Remus, but of course kids aren't searching for negatives and reasons to be angry all the time. They have to be taught that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Of course that is what the film was about, but I think you are missing my point.

SJWs are trying to twist it's meaning because of the reasons I explained.
I know the point and I agree with it.

Top Bottom