The Athletic: Jimmy Johnson and the Miami Dolphins never became the match made in heaven they should have been

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I know a lot of people like to credit the 3rd Super Bowl to Johnson but the record books reflect a different story. True his influence had a lot to do with it but that is as far as it goes.
His influence had EVERYTHING to do with it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In other words Barry had nothing to do with the 1995 team other than to stay out of its way.

I think we can all agree to that and it's why I consider Jimmy to have 3 SB titles.
Not entirely. Johnson was gone for two full seasons when the 3rd SB was won. There had to be some input and adjustments made during that time. The team was tuned up to perform better than the prior season which fell short so no matter how much bias you have, there were some things done right in order to bounce back.

data

Forbes #1
Not entirely. Johnson was gone for two full seasons when the 3rd SB was won. There had to be some input and adjustments made during that time. The team was tuned up to perform better than the prior season which fell short so no matter how much bias you have, there were some things done right in order to bounce back.
We signed Deion, Ray Donaldson and Derek Kennard and lost Stepnoski. Gogan and Gesek gone with Larry Allen in. Fri-light replaced by Kevin Williams.

Kevin Smith was lost for 1995 and Charles Haley was in and out. Woodson fully entrenched as starting strong safety, DL depth core completely revamped.

Not to mention coaching staff revamped. No more Norval, no more Wannstedt nor Butch.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We signed Deion, Ray Donaldson and Derek Kennard and lost Stepnoski. Gogan and Gesek gone with Larry Allen in. Fri-light replaced by Kevin Williams.

Kevin Smith was lost for 1995 and Charles Haley was in and out. Woodson fully entrenched as starting strong safety, DL depth core completely revamped.

Not to mention coaching staff revamped. No more Norval, no more Wannstedt nor Butch.
Then it would appear that the influence factor for Johnson was diluted to some extent when Dallas rebounded to win #3.

data

Forbes #1
Then it would appear that the influence factor for Johnson was diluted to some extent when Dallas rebounded to win #3.
All these personnel changes enabled by Jerruh Jones, especially signing Deion for an unprecedented and ludicre $34.99M.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
All these personnel changes enabled by Jerruh Jones, especially signing Deion for an unprecedented and ludicre $34.99M.
Yep. Kinda makes you wonder where Jerry got the recommendations from to identify the players needed to supplant those who left.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Uh, Shante’ Carver. :picard

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yep. Kinda makes you wonder where Jerry got the recommendations from to identify the players needed to supplant those who left.
Surely you don't think Barry had anything to do with that?

Jerry/ Stephen are still picking the players.

Nvm. ALL HAIL THE SOONERS.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Lacewell 😑

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

You underestimate Switzer. He won 3 times the number of college championships than Johnson. In fact he was already coaching Johnson and Jones when they were in college. You have read and listened to too many local sportscasters stories who have hated Switzer before he arrived in Dallas because of the many ass whippings he inflicted on the Longhorns. However if you want to attribute the 96 SB win to Jones and son then who am I to stop you.

data

Forbes #1
You underestimate Switzer. He won 3 times the number of college championships than Johnson. In fact he was already coaching Johnson and Jones when they were in college. You have read and listened to too many local sportscasters stories who have hated Switzer before he arrived in Dallas because of the many ass whippings he inflicted on the Longhorns.
Who would’ve Jerruh hired other than a laid-back, don’t rock the boat kinda coach? In retrospect, Switzer was the perfect hire who even took media attention off the players.

You bring in a taskmaster and Emmitt, Irvin and the other starters revolt.

Really, only Troy Aikman is the only one that’s voiced opposition to Switzer’s reign...and he’s a QB that doesn’t have to do any hitting drills. Of course he’s okay with a tough, physical and arduous training camp cuz he’s protected from that stuff.

Rev

Staff member
You underestimate Switzer. He won 3 times the number of college championships than Johnson. In fact he was already coaching Johnson and Jones when they were in college. You have read and listened to too many local sportscasters stories who have hated Switzer before he arrived in Dallas because of the many ass whippings he inflicted on the Longhorns. However if you want to attribute the 96 SB win to Jones and son then who am I to stop you.

I already told you who I attributed it to. Switzer was the monkey Jerry used to try and prove some point. He won a SB with a majority of players that Jimmy had in place. The players ran that team as evidence of the craziness that was going on at the time.

I don't care what Switzer or Jimmy did in college. It has no bearing on the point at hand.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I already told you who I attributed it to. Switzer was the monkey Jerry used to try and prove some point. He won a SB with a majority of players that Jimmy had in place. The players ran that team as evidence of the craziness that was going on at the time.

I don't care what Switzer or Jimmy did in college. It has no bearing on the point at hand.
:lol

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Is L.T. a closet Jerry fan? Asking for a friend.

Rev

Staff member
L.T. Fan 1
Rev 0
Why? No opinions are changed. Jimmy has a team that won 3 SBs as far as I'm concerned. If you want to argue technicalities then it could be different but I think we are all smart here.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Is L.T. a closet Jerry fan? Asking for a friend.
Tell your friend no. It just never adds up that Johnson pulled off the Cowboys success of the third SBs all by himself even after being gone two years then the team losing some key players that had to be replaced, (but not by him) and how they managed to rebounded back to a SB championship. while he was coaching Miami but struggling there. I have a lot of respect for him but its not a reasonable set of circumstances. Others contributed to the 3rd SB championship as well.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Others contributed to the 3rd SB championship as well.
Randy Galloway's nickname for Switzer was ISP (Insignificant Sideline Personnel), so I hope you have someone else in mind.

• Haha
Reactions: p1_
Top Bottom