The Athletic: Jimmy Johnson and the Miami Dolphins never became the match made in heaven they should have been

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By Chris Perkins Jan 31, 2020

DAVIE, Fla. — Among the many things former Dolphins wide receiver Oronde Gadsden remembers about Jimmy Johnson was his relentless drive to find talent.

Johnson had a well-established reputation by the time he was named the Dolphins’ head coach in 1996. He’d won titles at the University of Miami and with the Dallas Cowboys by finding big-time talent and developing small-time talent.

And, yes, players knew you could never be comfortable with your job in the NFL because, well, that’s the nature of the league. But the message was always different with Johnson, a little more meaningful, a little more poignant.

“Nobody was solid in what they were doing and where they were because he always was looking,” said Gadsden, who spent the first two years of his six-year Dolphins career under Johnson.

“You knew people were coming in on that Tuesday to work out. You’d just come by to get you a lift or a workout, and you’d see three receivers working out and you’d be like, ‘Damn, I thought we were good. I thought we were good with the six people we’ve got.’ He’s still trying to look for the next one.”

It was announced recently that Johnson will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Although he’ll be remembered by most for winning two Super Bowls with the Dallas Cowboys, Johnson’s years in Miami were memorable because he laid the foundation for the Dolphins teams his buddy Dave Wannstedt would eventually coach (2000-04) with relative success.

Johnson, who served as an NFL analyst for FOX-TV between parting ways with the Cowboys and being hired by the Dolphins, was expected to return Miami to its glory days of the 1970s. It never happened.

Johnson amassed a good deal of talent but never won a Super Bowl here. In fact, Johnson never came close to a Super Bowl in his years with the Dolphins (1996-99). Miami earned three playoff berths in Johnson’s four seasons but never won their division and never advanced to the AFC Championship Game.

Johnson initially retired after the 1998 season, but he changed his mind when then-owner Wayne Huizenga allowed Johnson to bring in Wannstedt as his top assistant. He would groom him to eventually take over the head coaching job.

Johnson retired for good after the 1999 season, a few weeks after telling Huizenga and team president Eddie Jones he didn’t think he could do the job any longer. Johnson met with his team at 9 a.m. the day after a playoff loss to the Jaguars and broke the news that he wouldn’t return.

“I guess you might say it’s my time,” Johnson said in his press conference while announcing his retirement. “I’ve had my time in the sun. I’ve had my time in the spotlight, and now it’s time to spend time with my family.”

With Miami, Johnson set the stage for winning by successfully identifying talent, talent others often passed on like defensive end Jason Taylor, the Hall of Famer who was a third-round pick in 1997, and linebacker Zach Thomas, the Hall of Fame finalist who was a fifth-round pick in 1996.

Johnson was coming off a high-profile breakup with Dallas owner Jerry Jones when he joined the Dolphins.

The Dolphins were coming off a high-profile breakup with legendary coach Don Shula.

It was the second time Johnson would take an NFL job under such conditions. He took over the Cowboys after their high-profile breakup with legendary coach Tom Landry.

But while Johnson was able to build the Cowboys from the ground up, his magic didn’t work as well in Miami despite taking over a team that had Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino.

Johnson ended up going 36-28 (.563) in the regular season. He made the playoffs in each of his last three seasons, but the results at that point — he went 2-3 in the postseason with the Dolphins — were sometimes disastrous. Miami lost to New England 17-3 in a wild-card game in 1997. It lost to Denver 38-3 in a divisional playoff game in 1999 (after defeating Buffalo in a wild-card game). And Miami was infamously blasted by Jacksonville 62-7 in 2000 (after beating Seattle in a wild-card game).

Regardless, Johnson left a mark on the organization.

In one of his best-known gambles, Johnson named Thomas a starting linebacker as a rookie ahead of veteran Jack Del Rio, whom Johnson had coached in Dallas.

“I love that guy,” Thomas said of Johnson recently on “The Joe Rose Show” on 560-AM (WQAM) in Miami. “He gave me everything.”

Defensive tackle Tim Bowens was a first-round pick of the Dolphins in 1994 under Shula, an old-school coach known for being tough. But Bowens, a mainstay on the defensive line for years, said his first training camp under Johnson was something different.

“It was just something I never went through,” Bowens said. “I was two years with Coach Shula, and that was pretty rough. And then you get Jimmy, man, that was like, brutal. I’m talkin’ brutal.”

Johnson was in your face, constantly challenging, constantly pushing, constantly testing his guys. It wore on them more mentally than physically.

“That’s what I’m talking about, that ‘mental,’” Bowens said. “Not physical but mental. Everybody is strong (physically). It’s the mental part.”

Johnson used those mind games to try to revive a team that was dealing with playoff disappointment and a ticking clock on Marino.

Johnson drafted players such as Taylor and Thomas, defensive tackle Daryl Gardener, cornerbacks Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain, safety Shawn Wooden, linebacker Derrick Rodgers, defensive ends Kenny Mixon and Lorenzo Bromell, tight end Ed Perry and fullback Rob Konrad. All were mainstays through the early- and mid-2000s.

But there were also draft failures, guys such as running back John Avery, a first-round pick in 1998, wide receiver Yatil Green, the first-rounder in 1997, running back J.J. Johnson, a 1999 second-round pick, and running back Cecil Collins, a 1999 fifth-round pick. Avery and Johnson weren’t good enough, Green was injured and Collins, who represented a high-upside, low-round gamble by Johnson, had off-field issues that held him back.

The coach’s relationship with Marino suffered in his later days with the team. A match that should have been made in heaven, one that could have mirrored the success Johnson had in Dallas with Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman, never materialized.

Johnson retired one day after that ugly playoff loss to Jacksonville.

Despite a lack of big-time success in Miami, Johnson remained relentless and undeterred in his search for talent during his years with the Dolphins. That’s because Johnson’s coaching gifts went beyond finding personnel. He knew how to manage people, as well.

“I think his strength was his relationship with the players and his feel for the game,” Gadsden said. “You always have X’s and O’s, but he knew what buttons to push and when to press down, when to let up some.

“And I think he was a true head coach, which is hard to come by right now. Regardless of his background, he didn’t coach the offense, he didn’t coach the defense. He was just the head coach. You know what I mean?”

The Dolphins weren’t a finished product when Johnson took over as head coach. It was his job to make them a finished product, get them over the hump. But despite having a Hall of Fame quarterback and a developing defense, his Dolphins teams never quite got the job done. They accumulated lots of talent, but they never advanced to a conference championship, let alone a Super Bowl.

It’s something that still puzzles players to this day.

“It doesn’t matter how much talent we had, we didn’t get it done,” Bowens said. “I just hate we couldn’t win one for him and Dan.”

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Johnson didn’t have the player windfall with Miami he had in Dallas with the Walker trade. It was an immediate bonanza and carried over dividends for the next 2 to 3 seasons.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
and a difference maker like Haley didn't fall in his lap

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Johnson didn’t have the player windfall with Miami he had in Dallas with the Walker trade. It was an immediate bonanza and carried over dividends for the next 2 to 3 seasons.
He didn't get to trade Marino like he wanted either

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Jimmy had to navigate the salary cap as well. Something that didn't exist when he was here.

data

Forbes #1
and a difference maker like Haley didn't fall in his lap
Jimmy had to navigate the salary cap as well. Something that didn't exist when he was here.
...nor did he have help from a HOFer GM like did in Dallas.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
...nor did he have help from a HOFer GM like did in Dallas.
If Johnson had became the Dallas coach under Bum Bright rather than Jones it would have been a different story in Dallas. Jones financial resources and willingness to trade Walker plus the money it took to put players on the roster Johnson wanted can be attributed to Jones. The wheels don’t roll on an empty gas tank.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It's hilarious that the article pretends Marino wasn't a fatal flaw in the team at that point. He was taking up a huge amount of their cap, no longer productive, and 1000 miles up his own ass.

Jimmy struggled with acquiring offensive talent (in Dallas he didn't like Aikman or Emmitt Smith until they actually played for him) so it's unclear whether he would have found a better QB than Marino. I don't think any coach could have done better as far as record, stuck with a white elephant at QB like that.

data

Forbes #1
If Johnson had became the Dallas coach under Bum Bright rather than Jones it would have been a different story in Dallas. Jones financial resources and willingness to trade Walker plus the money it took to put players on the roster Johnson wanted can be attributed to Jones. The wheels don’t roll on an empty gas tank.
In addition to Bright, Are you implying that few, maybe no other, owners would’ve have agreed to the Herschel walker trade? That Jerry Jones is a rare owner to have agreed with it?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In addition to Bright, Are you implying that few, maybe no other, owners would’ve have agreed to the Herschel walker trade? That Jerry Jones is a rare owner to have agreed with it?
You don’t know enough about the circumstances of the ownership structure during this time. If Bright would have kept the team, Landry would still have been the coach and it’s not likely he would have considered trading Walker. Bright was a hands off owner and was primarily interested in funneling off money from the team to keep his banks afloat. He probably wouldn’t have entertained a trade like that unless it entailed a cash consideration. Even if he would have Landry probably would have balked at trading Walker. Jones had cash and was a gambler so the deal was right for him but had he not bought the team the Dallas situation would have been considerably different and the discussions of a trade deal that came about may never have happened if Jones had not bought the team.

The trade occurred only because Johnson began the discussions but had Jones not bought the team it wouldn’t have occurred at all and it was Jones ability to financially accomplish all this that it happened.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The point is either way the trade would not have happened. If by a stretch Bright had hired Johnson a trade wouldn’t have happened. Only with Jones in the equation could such a trade happen.

data

Forbes #1
The point is either way the trade would not have happened. If by a stretch Bright had hired Johnson a trade wouldn’t have happened. Only with Jones in the equation could such a trade happen.
Bottom line...Would you vote ‘yes’ or ‘no’ for Jimmy Johnson in the Hall of Fame?

I wouldn’t and I love Jimmy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Bottom line...Would you vote ‘yes’ or ‘no’ for Jimmy Johnson in the Hall of Fame?

Knowing what I know about the circumstances under which Johnson left the team, I would be reluctant to put him in the ROH if I were Jones. He was very generous to Johnson even paying huge sums of money for personal reasons and allowing Johnson to work it off. Johnson wanted out of his contract to return to Florida. It’s Jones call but I wouldn’t blame him if he held his position on it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I don’t have a problem with Johnson in the Hall of Fame.

p1_

DCC 4Life

so you dont think Johnson deserves to be in the HOF? If so, why not?

data

Forbes #1
so you dont think Johnson deserves to be in the HOF? If so, why not?
Longevity and success with different cores.

Nothing about Jimmy’s tenure with the Dolphins contributed to his accolades, in fact, it detracts from his resume. So his HOF credentials are essentially his five years with Dallas. Five years is already short for a HOF player and incredibly short for a coach.

I’m looking at Landry — success with Staubach, Meredith and Danny White.
Don Shula with the Colts and Dolphins. Gibbs with three different QBs. Parcells with Giants and Patriots. Walsh rebuilt the 81 squad and won with a different 88 squad.

I get that Jimmy did revolutionize the NFL with the draft value chart and maverick’d the draft’s importance of non-1st rounders that stands today...

Shit, I think I just convinced myself to a ‘yes’.

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

deadrise

DCC 4Life

Knowing what I know about the circumstances under which Johnson left the team, I would be reluctant to put him in the ROH if I were Jones. He was very generous to Johnson even paying huge sums of money for personal reasons and allowing Johnson to work it off. Johnson wanted out of his contract to return to Florida. It’s Jones call but I wouldn’t blame him if he held his position on it.
It's increasingly rare these days to run across a Jerry Jones apologist. He's so thoroughly despicable in so many ways that virtually every fan with any discernment despises him.

Top Bottom