The Athletic: Jimmy Johnson and the Miami Dolphins never became the match made in heaven they should have been

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's increasingly rare these days to run across a Jerry Jones apologist. He's so thoroughly despicable in so many ways that virtually every fan with any discernment despises him.
This isn’t being an apologist. I am stating how the Herchel Walker trade came about and that it was Jones decision to buy the team that made it possible. The fact that he is despised has nothing to do with the history and background of the event. It’s strange that relating what is know by most would make someone an apologist.

It’s also known by most that Jones and Johnson didn’t part under good terms so why wouldn’t it only be natural for Jones to not want him in the ROH?

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
so you dont think Johnson deserves to be in the HOF? If so, why not?
I was starting to type out that, for me, Jimmy Johnson needs to have taken another core of players deep into the playoffs (SB or NFCC/AFCC), even if no SB win, and it’d convince me wholeheartedly.

His failed tenure with the Dolphins actually creeps into my mind that Jimmy is a one-hit wonder, enabled because he was so familiar with drafting college players he directly recruited/coached. With Miami Dolphins, he lost that connection and was drafting busts just as often as anyone else.

But, you know what, shit, worst-case scenario, that one-hit wonder was so exceptionally amazing, it won 3 Super Bowl rings.

But, yeah, I’m correcting myself into a ‘yes’ because of his added contributions regarding affect on the NFL draft that is still palpable in every War Room today almost 30 years later.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

data

Forbes #1
It’s also known by most that Jones and Johnson didn’t part under good terms so why wouldn’t it only be natural for Jones to not want him in the ROH?
And if he came out with “it’s my team and I hate him”, I’d respect Jerry more for it.

But you, me and everyone’s heard his hoodwinking huckster quote that he feels like “he doesn’t own the Cowboys, but he’s just running with the ball in the meantime”.

If he’s such a legacy man that respects the franchise history, Jimmy should be in regardless of their personal relationship.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And if he came out with “it’s my team and I hate him”, I’d respect Jerry more for it.

But you, me and everyone’s heard his hoodwinking huckster quote that he feels like “he doesn’t own the Cowboys, but he’s just running with the ball in the meantime”.

If he’s such a legacy man that respects the franchise history, Jimmy should be in regardless of their personal relationship.
The Ring of Honor isn't about guys you like. It's about guys who had a major impact on the franchise. That's why Jimmy should be in. It's really that simple.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The Ring of Honor isn't about guys you like. It's about guys who had a major impact on the franchise. That's why Jimmy should be in. It's really that simple.
Maybe ideally but the truth is that the Ring of Honor currently isn’t really an ideal standard. it’s subjective by those who make the selections. Presently that’s Jones. If he wanted the process to be objective and deserving he would appoint someone or a committee to make the determinations based on a meritorious criteria. He apparently chooses not to do that and makes the determinations as to who is either honorable or who is to be honored. The result in the case of Johnson is its no cigar. The system doesn’t seem care whether I approve or not.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I was starting to type out that, for me, Jimmy Johnson needs to have taken another core of players deep into the playoffs (SB or NFCC/AFCC), even if no SB win, and it’d convince me wholeheartedly.

His failed tenure with the Dolphins actually creeps into my mind that Jimmy is a one-hit wonder, enabled because he was so familiar with drafting college players he directly recruited/coached. With Miami Dolphins, he lost that connection and was drafting busts just as often as anyone else.
I began thinking about this after your initial post. I think we were all kinda surprised Jimmy didnt replicate the success he had in Dallas. There were many reasons for that. But 3 SB victories in 4 years hasn't been replicated to my knowledge, even in New England with the mighty Bill Belichick.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I began thinking about this after your initial post. I think we were all kinda surprised Jimmy didnt replicate the success he had in Dallas. There were many reasons for that. But 3 SB victories in 4 years hasn't been replicated to my knowledge, even in New England with the mighty Bill Belichick.
I always wonder if Jimmy could of pulled off the same gameplan if he had been allowed to trade Marino for multiple picks when he first got there like he wanted

data

Forbes #1
This isn’t being an apologist. I am stating how the Herchel Walker trade came about and that it was Jones decision to buy the team that made it possible. The fact that he is despised has nothing to do with the history and background of the event. It’s strange that relating what is know by most would make someone an apologist.

Forgotten in all this...a lot of credit goes to Pat Jones, Jerruh's father, as well for the Herschel Walker trade. Back in the 1960s, Pat Jones refused to fund Jerry the money to purchase the Chargers. Without Pat, Jerry would've bought the Chargers which may have prevented Jerry from later buying the Cowboys. Things would be much different.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Patriots won in 01, 03 and 04

data

Forbes #1
Hell, even Parcells couldn’t resurrect the Dolphins.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I know a lot of people like to credit the 3rd Super Bowl to Johnson but the record books reflect a different story. True his influence had a lot to do with it but that is as far as it goes.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I know a lot of people like to credit the 3rd Super Bowl to Johnson but the record books reflect a different story. True his influence had a lot to do with it but that is as far as it goes.
how do you attribute the 1995 success? And don't even say Barry Switzer.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
how do you attribute the 1995 success? And don't even say Barry Switzer.
I just stated Johnson’s influence had a lot to do with the success and to Switzer’s credit he stated he was smart enough to leave things alone and not make changes so attribute the percentages as you see fit.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I just stated Johnson’s influence had a lot to do with the success and to Switzer’s credit he stated he was smart enough to leave things alone and not make changes so attribute the percentages as you see fit.
In other words Barry had nothing to do with the 1995 team other than to stay out of its way.

I think we can all agree to that and it's why I consider Jimmy to have 3 SB titles.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
In other words Barry had nothing to do with the 1995 team other than to stay out of its way.

I think we can all agree to that and it's why I consider Jimmy to have 3 SB titles.
Pretty much.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It’s kinda surprising in hindsight they missed in ‘94. That NFCC game vs the 9ers got in the way of 4 in a row

data

Forbes #1
It’s kinda surprising in hindsight they missed in ‘94. That NFCC game vs the 9ers got in the way of 4 in a row
If I could reverse one loss to a win, it’d be a photo finish between SB XIII (1978 season) and the 94 NFCC.

data

Forbes #1
Ice Bowl would be a close third.

If we reversed SB V to a win, maybe Landry never replaces Craig Morton with Staubach...then Herschel Walker is never traded.

Top Bottom