Spring League Thread...

data

Forbes #1
Eh, you have to appreciate it for what it is. I find all levels of football entertaining. This has its own kind of entertainment.
You have to appreciate that nobody out there is making ‘business decisions’

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eh, you have to appreciate it for what it is. I find all levels of football entertaining. This has its own kind of entertainment.
The difficult part is as a fan as soon as you start to recognize some of these guys as actual star players (For their teams) they will bolt for the NFL. It makes it hard to get to know anyone.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The difficult part is as a fan as soon as you start to recognize some of these guys as actual star players (For their teams) they will bolt for the NFL. It makes it hard to get to know anyone.
The best of option for a spring league is a farm system for NFL teams.

I watched way too many NFL Europe games thinking Jeff Ogden was going to be a star.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The best of option for a spring league is a farm system for NFL teams.

I watched way too many NFL Europe games thinking Jeff Ogden was going to be a star.
Yeah admittedly I did the same thing. Watched and rooted for the young guys the Cowboys sent there. Sort of created name recognition immediately. Imagine if TJ Vasher or Brandon Smith was playing in one of these games. I'd watch just to see what the kids can do.

Or how about Ben Dinucci? The guy sucks but maybe he would be entertaining running around out there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah admittedly I did the same thing. Watched and rooted for the young guys the Cowboys sent there. Sort of created name recognition immediately. Imagine if TJ Vasher or Brandon Smith was playing in one of these games. I'd watch just to see what the kids can do.

Or how about Ben Dinucci? The guy sucks but maybe he would be entertaining running around out there.
I would most certainly watch. It would elevate the talent level and also give these players exposure.

The WLAF produced Kurt Warner, Brad Johnson, Jon Kitna, Dante Hall, James Harrison, Jake Delhomme, Adam Vinatieri, David Akers and even actor Terry Crews. You could say that without the QB development, things would have looked very different for the NFL in the early 2000s.

I wonder how much the NFL would commit to it though, fearing injury for players they really like.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

You can take TJ Vasher off the table for this discussion. He’s already famous without spring leagues. Gaw!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would most certainly watch. It would elevate the talent level and also give these players exposure.

The WLAF produced Kurt Warner, Brad Johnson, Jon Kitna, Dante Hall, James Harrison, Jake Delhomme, Adam Vinatieri, David Akers and even actor Terry Crews. You could say that without the QB development, things would have looked very different for the NFL in the early 2000s.

I wonder how much the NFL would commit to it though, fearing injury for players they really like.
Much like the NFL Europe days I'm sure the players teams send wouldn't be anyone they are counting on for the up coming season. But for example the guys I just listed would be perfect fine to send. Ben Dinucci isn't likely to play or even make the roster. Same for someone like Brandon Smith. But hey maybe they develop and light it up and get a real chance in the NFL as a result.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You can take TJ Vasher off the table for this discussion. He’s already famous without spring leagues. Gaw!
You mean to say... KEEP VASHER OUT YOUR YO FUCKING MOUTH!

Cotton

Staff member
Well right now he could be our third best healthy receiver so you may have a point.
As far as TTU receiver, Ezukanma would be the better choice, in like the 5th round.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Much like the NFL Europe days I'm sure the players teams send wouldn't be anyone they are counting on for the up coming season. But for example the guys I just listed would be perfect fine to send. Ben Dinucci isn't likely to play or even make the roster. Same for someone like Brandon Smith. But hey maybe they develop and light it up and get a real chance in the NFL as a result.
If there were a league right now, I would send The Nooch, Goggles Kid, Nick Ralston, Ian Bunting, Fehoko, Vasher, Isaac Alarcon, Braylon Jones, Josiah Bronson, Austin Faoilu, Kyron Brown, Tyler Coyle, Nashon Wright, Mukuamu hell even the kicker we signed off the street just to see if he can hack it.

For the most part there are going to be five roster spots on each team that are going to be realistically attainable.

A developmental league stocked with fringe NFL talent could make it, but only if the NFL allows it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As far as TTU receiver, Ezukanma would be the better choice, in like the 5th round.
You've somehow made me feel worse about Vasher and our WR Corp all at once. Fucking shit balls. This draft is going to leave me sad.

Brandon Smith is better than both. Go Hawks!

Cotton

Staff member
You've somehow made me feel worse about Vasher and our WR Corp all at once. Fucking shit balls. This draft is going to leave me sad.

Brandon Smith is better than both. Go Hawks!
Vasher was good for Tech, but I don't think he is pro level.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I like the New Orleans team. Best uniforms and they are making plays.

Sad note, WR Chad Williams was a 3rd rounder taken by the Cardinals just blocked a punt and was celebrating.

He apparently is so poor, he is wearing Ohio State gloves.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Vasher was good for Tech, but I don't think he is pro level.
In all seriousness, we could be staring him in the face in the fifth and take him.

Once you get past the top 12 WRs, you are looking at a group that consists of Khalil Shakir, Wan'Dale Robinson, Danny Gray, David Bell, Tyquan Thornton and Velus Jones. He is probably right in the middle of that group.

Top Bottom