Spring League Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the players were better and possibly had a future, I'd definitely watch more football in the spring. Football > all other sports.

The problem is these are total scrubs and the teams don't even play in the cities they supposedly represent.
That's the problem. You'll never sell tickets doing that. So you're relying purely on TV ratings. But you'll also never build a fan base for these teams if they don't actually play there.

Anyway, the best thing they could do is have every NFL team send 5-10 players to a team to develop. Fill the rosters out with guys wanting to get a chance in the NFL. And you'd have something.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That's the problem. You'll never sell tickets doing that. So you're relying purely on TV ratings. But you'll also never build a fan base for these teams if they don't actually play there.

Anyway, the best thing they could do is have every NFL team send 5-10 players to a team to develop. Fill the rosters out with guys wanting to get a chance in the NFL. And you'd have something.
Right, if it were some kind of even non-official minor league with some players that would eventually make it to the NFL, people would take more interest. But it seemed like all the best players were ex-NFL vets who have already had their chance and weren't good enough.

Maybe before college started the NIL payments they would have had a better chance for those who didn't want to play school, but now even average college kids are making more than what this league is paying.

And like we were talking about the other night, I'm not sure Fox even has big aspirations for this. I think it's just cheap filler TV content. Hence the "bubble" format so teams don't have travel expenses. The cheap tickets probably aren't even to make money, they're just to put anyone in the stands so the league looks more legitimate.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I’m watching some of these games today. I can’t say I’m excited.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I’m watching some of these games today. I can’t say I’m excited.
The USFL has a clear and obvious talent issue.

If they don't fold on their own, the XFL will make it happen.

In all honesty, they really fucked up.

They had good intentions, but the talent pool was just awful.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The USFL has a clear and obvious talent issue.

If they don't fold on their own, the XFL will make it happen.

In all honesty, they really fucked up.

They had good intentions, but the talent pool was just awful.
Yeah the problem is right now NFL rosters are running 90 deep. Any player with an ounce of talent is on a roster in the NFL. After cut downs there would be better talent available but by then the USFL season will be over. The timing with the NFL just doesn't work well for talent acquisition.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah the problem is right now NFL rosters are running 90 deep. Any player with an ounce of talent is on a roster in the NFL. After cut downs there would be better talent available but by then the USFL season will be over. The timing with the NFL just doesn't work well for talent acquisition.
This is a good point.

Top Bottom