Question on Air Conditioner Repair

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Same. I have had the same thing happen in the contactor on my pressure switch for my well. I had a piece of leaf (no, I'm not kidding) get between the two contacts and I lost water. 24v, man.
Yeah apparently the ant thing happens enough I got a contact cleaner from a AC tech buddy that actually had a picture of dead ants on it

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Man, I'm going to need closure with this. :lol

Sheik

DCC 4Life
idk what system you have. I’ll be interested to hear if it’s one of those toggle switches that burned up or melted.

I had one of those little fuckers burn a while back.

They look like the older travel trailer light switches. I couldn’t figure out what was up with mine, took the cover off and sure enough, it had melted. Went to a camping world store up the street and paid like $7 for the switch. Replaced it and it fired right up.

Hope they get that unit back on for you ASAP.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No I don't. I could probably find it online though.
I believe a phone call and $100.00 is in order. If you call an independent his house call will cost you that much plus any repairs and parts if needed.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I bought a GE model (less than two years old) for $40 on Nextdoor last month. Might be a better option than a $ervice call.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
AC techs just left and the problem turned out to be a blown fuse on an internal component of the AC unit. They replaced some wires that looked a little frayed as well but the main culprit was the blown fuse.

Cotton

Staff member
AC techs just left and the problem turned out to be a blown fuse on an internal component of the AC unit. They replaced some wires that looked a little frayed as well but the main culprit was the blown fuse.
I was WAY off. :lol

Glad you got it fixed.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I was WAY off. :lol

Glad you got it fixed.
Turns out @jsmith6919 was right. I don't have a Trane system, mine is a Carrier, but the fuse was inside the unit. I checked last night but didn't notice it. At least now I know where to look going forward.

Cotton

Staff member
Turns out @jsmith6919 was right. I don't have a Trane system, mine is a Carrier, but the fuse was inside the unit. I checked last night but didn't notice it. At least now I know where to look going forward.
That's how I justify my home warranty. If I ever have to use it I follow the technician around so I can learn from the experience. I feel I get more out of the money spent that way. Then if it happens again, I can fix it myself.

1bigfan13

Staff member
That blown fuse prevented juice from being sent to the thermostat, so you were kind of on the right track. :lol

Cotton

Staff member
That blown fuse prevented juice from being sent to thermostat, so you were kind of on the right track. :lol
I didn't realize there was a fuse in the unit itself, so I learned something today, too.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't realize there was a fuse in the unit itself, so I learned something today, too.
Yep, I had no idea either. It's funny, it's a cheap and easy fix, but until you go through it you have no idea that could be the problem so you end up having to call a repair guy to tell you something simple.

Cotton

Staff member
Yep, I had no idea either. It's funny, it's a cheap and easy fix, but until you go through it you have no idea that could be the problem so you end up having to call a repair guy to tell you something simple.
And, that's okay, as long as you retain the knowledge. Then you can add it to your existing troubleshooting list for next time.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I forgot to post an update to this for anyone else out there who might be an HVAC novice like me.

A few weeks after my original issue was fixed the temperatures dropped so I switched the system over to heat. I woke up the next morning and the house was still cold as hell. So I went back upstairs into attic to check my system and the fuse had blown again.

Since it was within 30 days the techs came back out free of charge and it turned out that what was causing the fuse to blow was the type of thermostat that I bought back in May.

When I replaced my old thermostat I ended up buying a single stage thermostat but I actually needed one that supported multistage HVAC systems. When the single stage thermostat was on cool it worked fine but whenever it was switched to heat it would blow the fuse. I went out and bought a multistage thermostat that same day and it fixed the issue.

HVAC rookies, when replacing your thermostat make sure you check the box for single or multistage systems.

Cotton

Staff member
I forgot to post an update to this for anyone else out there who might be an HVAC novice like me.

A few weeks after my original issue was fixed the temperatures dropped so I switched the system over to heat. I woke up the next morning and the house was still cold as hell. So I went back upstairs into attic to check my system and the fuse had blown again.

Since it was within 30 days the techs came back out free of charge and it turned out that what was causing the fuse to blow was the type of thermostat that I bought back in May.

When I replaced my old thermostat I ended up buying a single stage thermostat but I actually needed one that supported multistage HVAC systems. When the single stage thermostat was on cool it worked fine but whenever it was switched to heat it would blow the fuse. I went out and bought a multistage thermostat that same day and it fixed the issue.

HVAC rookies, when replacing your thermostat make sure you check the box for single or multistage systems.
So, it was your thermostat after all. If only someone had suggested that before. :unsure

Top Bottom