Question on Air Conditioner Repair

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Question for those with AC repair experience.

My upstairs unit won't power on at all. So far I've checked the breakers, checked for icing on the coils & pipes (there was none), and even bought and installed a new capacitor yet it's still not powering on.

I have a home warranty policy but I was hoping there was something else I could try before submitting a work order and paying the $100 service fee then waiting a week or so for a technician to finally show up.

Any suggestions for what else I should look for that fit into the fairly quick and easy DIY category?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in? :unsure

Cotton

Staff member
In all seriousness, the next thing I would try is checking the thermostat. If it is bad, it won't call for power at all.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Did you check the drain pan to see if its clogged? Could be a float that shuts it off so condenser wont keep running.

1bigfan13

Staff member
In all seriousness, the next thing I would try is checking the thermostat. If it is bad, it won't call for power at all.
My thermostat is only about 6 months old but I did check it and the batteries. They appear fine.

Rev

Staff member
I was going to mention that but I assumed he tried to manually start it.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Did you check the drain pan to see if its clogged? Could be a float that shuts it off so condenser wont keep running.
There was no water in the pan. I've had that problem before and the float switch shut it off, so that was my initial thought before I placed eyes on the unit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had the thermostate be the problem twice in like the last 5 years (2 homes). It doesn't seem like its the problem but often it is. Hell the thermostat at my current home was fairly new but it would only have my unit blowing hot air while the AC was on. Put in a Nest and everything runs great now.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Is it your compressor that won’t come on? If so it could be with the starter condenser out on the unit. Also sometimes insects will get in the electrical components outside because they love the electrical hum. You need a volt meter to check to see if the current is flowing or whether the condenser is engaging. The current from the thermostat should also be checked to see if the low voltage is engaging to turn on the 220 circuit. You did say you looked at the breaker box?

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I had a similar problem not too long ago.

How are your filters? If your filters are caked, the United won’t kick on because it doesn’t have proper air flow.

Cotton

Staff member
I had a similar problem not too long ago.

How are your filters? If your filters are caked, the United won’t kick on because it doesn’t have proper air flow.
Yep, didn't think about that, but it can air lock if your filter is dirty.

Rev

Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
If you have a newer Trane system they have a fuse on the circuit board in the furnace now you should check too .

1bigfan13

Staff member
Filters were relatively clean since I change them every 30-60 days. And yeah it was the compressor that won't come on.

I ended up calling in a work order through my warranty company. Luckily they'll be out tomorrow morning. I had a problem with my downstairs unit earlier this year and it took them 3 weeks to come out. So I lucked out in that regard.

I'll provide an update tomorrow after the technician gives his diagnosis.

Cotton

Staff member
Filters were relatively clean since I change them every 30-60 days. And yeah it was the compressor that won't come on.

I ended up calling in a work order through my warranty company. Luckily they'll be out tomorrow morning. I had a problem with my downstairs unit earlier this year and it took them 3 weeks to come out. So I lucked out in that regard.

I'll provide an update tomorrow after the technician gives his diagnosis.
Is the fan coming on at all? Not the condenser, just the fan, the noise.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
If it's just the condenser not coming on I'd check the contact first. And credit where due @L.T. Fan ants will get in there, tho I have only had that problem in East Texas

1bigfan13

Staff member
Nope. Fans not coming on at all. I'm thinking that maybe it's some wiring issue or some other motor has gone out.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Nope. Fans not coming on at all. I'm thinking that maybe it's some wiring issue or some other motor has gone out.
Do you have the manual for your furnace? A lot of the newer ones have a self diagnosis now

Cotton

Staff member
I doubt it’s a motor because the fan and condenser are separate wiring. Meaning for both of those to go out at the same time is highly unlikely. I’m still betting it’s the thermostat. But, I don’t know wtf I’m talking about really so I’m guessing from past experience.

Top Bottom