Prospects Dallas Has Shown Interest In - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So long story short, I'd be perfectly fine spending another 1st on the OL, especially since our defense is fully formed and ready to be perhaps the best unit in the league next year.
Yep, this is exactly how I feel. You know what compliments a great defense? A dominating offensive line that allows you to grind yards when you need to on offense.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I get it, like I said OT/C is a good high draft pick combo.

But it can’t be disputed what we did in the 2010’s came at the expense of other positions, specifically the defense.

I mean, did we even consider Deforest Buckner in 2016? I doubt it. Flashy pass rusher, CB, RB sure, but you can build a whole defense around guys like Buckner. Not flashy enough for us.

Defense wins championships, and we don’t

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

But it can’t be disputed what we did in the 2010’s came at the expense of other positions, specifically the defense.

I mean, did we even consider Deforest Buckner in 2016? I doubt it. Flashy pass rusher, CB, RB sure, but you can build a whole defense around guys like Buckner. Not flashy enough for us.

The mistake wasn't the Olineman. Plenty of other picks we should have done better with.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

You can't equate taking Elliott to overinvesting on the OL, and the big difference now is that our defense is primed to be a top 3-5 defense in the league next year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Elliott was a misleading example, and I know we had Donald rated ahead of Martin in 2014, so it wasn’t that we didn't value defense.

And trading up for Claiborne at the time caused more damage than anything else.

But when you compound the Claiborne mistake by also not adding a non-DB, non-bust premium pick on defense from 2008-2017 (Anthony Spencer and LVE bracketing the stretch), you end up without a defense that can stand on its own and control the game.

I don’t care if we are statistically the 5th defense— that’s irrelevant. The 2003 Cowboys were ranked 1st for much of the year for all the good it did them. Come playoff time Steve Smith still ripped them a new one.

Bottom line value or not you can’t keep ignoring the interior DL

You need difference makers on both sides of the ball, especially in the front seven on defense. And we slowly choked that side of the ball into ineffectiveness.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Elliott was a misleading example, and I know we had Donald rated ahead of Martin in 2014, so it wasn’t that we didn't value defense.

But when you compound the Claiborne mistake by also not adding a non-DB, non-bust premium pick on defense from 2008-2017 (Anthony Spencer and LVE bracketing the stretch), you end up without a defense that can stand on its own and control the game.

I don’t care if we are statistically the 5th defense— that’s irrelevant. The 2003 Cowboys were ranked 1st for much of the year for all the good it did them. Come playoff time Steve Smith still ripped them a new one.

You need difference makers on both sides of the ball, especially in the front seven on defense. And we slowly choked that side of the ball into ineffectiveness.
Our defense dominated in the playoffs last year, including on the road against what some have hyped up as "the most physical team in the league" in the 49ers.

You seem to be re-litigating and conflating a bunch of stuff from the past that has basically no relevance to right now.

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life

Bro, I'm with you on upgrading DT, but don't conflate last year's defense with 2003. The defense handled it's business last year in the playoffs. Now, a stud 3T like a Chris Jones might have helped generate an extra turnover and allowed Dallas to get one more TD against SF, but the defense held them under 20...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I hear y'all, honestly, but I think the Eagles, Cowboys, and 49ers were all overrated last year, save for the Eagles OL which was dominant.

Last year is not a good one by which to judge as I think the quality of play reflected too many teams in transition, like 1991.

I think Quinn called a Hell of a couple of games in the playoffs, but when push came to shove with the game on the line the Cowboys defense finally caved after time and again bending but not breaking after the 49ers crossed midfield. Late in the game the 49ers scored and never looked back. I also don't think our 2022 defense would have withstood long vs. the 2021 Tampa team. We caught them at the right time.

It's unfair to hold our defense to an unyieldingly high standard given we just handed the 49ers the football a couple of times, but caving late is the staple of a defense that isn't stout and lacks the horses up front to carry the team. You knew it was a matter of time before they caved, and I never felt confident they would actually come up with a stop.

It felt like we were on borrowed time, not like our defense was defeating them.

McCarthy said it best himself:

“Kellen wants to light the scoreboard up. But I want to run the damn ball so I can rest my defense "

IOW, let's play one way on one side of the ball to cover up flaws on the other (not to mention cover for my turnover-prone QB). You don't see KC taking that stance. Fuck no. They go for it.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
IOW, let's play one way on one side of the ball to cover up flaws on the other (not to mention cover for my turnover-prone QB). You don't see KC taking that stance. Fuck no. They go for it.
Trying to be like the Chiefs is a dumb idea. They are the only NFL team with Patrick Mahomes. You're not getting that anywhere else, so yeah, you are going to have to try to beat them with a different strategy then they employ. And being able to run on teams at will once you get a lead is a pretty damn good strategy.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Trying to be like the Chiefs is a dumb idea. They are the only NFL team with Patrick Mahomes. You're not getting that anywhere else, so yeah, you are going to have to try to beat them with a different strategy then they employ. And being able to run on teams at will once you get a lead is a pretty damn good strategy.
Except when you need to score in a hurry. The best teams in the NFL can do that, and it’s a muscle you work on and keep warm, not something you can dial up cold.

Running the ball is important to establish balance and running your 4 minute offense. A talented back can also give you big play capability.

But that’s it.
Run the ball too much (with most normal backs) and you’re wasting opportunities. The purpose of offense is to score, first and foremost, and then shift to protect the lead late in games. One should never build an offense with the expressed goal of keeping the defense fresh.

If that’s what your doing, it’s a losing mentality and you have to ask yourself why TF the defense is flawed to begin with? MM believes in strong 1T types like BJ Raji that helped control the LOS. WTF is wrong with Cowboys management that they don’t get this?

30+years is proof they are just fucking stubborn.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
McKee looks like he should be great but isn't. A guy who I want to like but when I watch him I don't. Maybe a couple years with a QB coach could fix him but he will need a lot of work. He just looks broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom