Prospects Dallas Has Shown Interest In - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I like Daniels a lot, really athletic and Utah is a very pro-style, run-oriented offense so he has plenty of experience doing what he'll be asked to do at the next level.

I'd be ok with him in the 3rd depending on the board but the 4th is where I think he'd be really good value.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like Daniels a lot, really athletic and Utah is a very pro-style, run-oriented offense so he has plenty of experience doing what he'll be asked to do at the next level.

I'd be ok with him in the 3rd depending on the board but the 4th is where I think he'd be really good value.
Very skinny for a guard. 294 pounds just seems light in the ass to be playing guard. I think he probably needs to put on a solid 10 pounds just to hold up in the NFL. But who knows, this class is a little off with the sizes in general. I'm just of the opinion I'd like my guards more like 310+.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Very skinny for a guard. 294 pounds just seems light in the ass to be playing guard. I think he probably needs to put on a solid 10 pounds just to hold up in the NFL. But who knows, this class is a little off with the sizes in general. I'm just of the opinion I'd like my guards more like 310+.
He played tackle mostly in college although he did play some at guard as well, he seems to have the frame to add some weight but he's just probably not someone you can pencil in as a starter week 1 of 2023.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He played tackle mostly in college although he did play some at guard as well, he seems to have the frame to add some weight but he's just probably not someone you can pencil in as a starter week 1 of 2023.
Yeah, wouldn't be my preference in the third round. Certainly if the work ethic is there I think the Cowboys have the ability to help add bulk for the guy and remake his body a bit. I just think third round is a bit much of a project for my taste. I know most third round picks aren't immediate starters in the NFL but I'm probably looking more for a guy that is physically ready to play guard in the NFL. That way the learning curve isn't as steep.

In all fairness I think the Cowboys may agree more with you. At least in recent years they have preferred the athletic guards that they think they can sort of bulk up and add strength and power to. But from my perspective, I just want a mauler that we can teach proper technique to.

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life
Yeah, wouldn't be my preference in the third round. Certainly if the work ethic is there I think the Cowboys have the ability to help add bulk for the guy and remake his body a bit. I just think third round is a bit much of a project for my taste. I know most third round picks aren't immediate starters in the NFL but I'm probably looking more for a guy that is physically ready to play guard in the NFL. That way the learning curve isn't as steep.

In all fairness I think the Cowboys may agree more with you. At least in recent years they have preferred the athletic guards that they think they can sort of bulk up and add strength and power to. But from my perspective, I just want a mauler that we can teach proper technique to.
They tried to bulk up Conner Williams, didn't they? Seemed he still struggled mightily against bigger NT types. I agree with you, just give me a big ol mauler, a la Ron Leary.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They tried to bulk up Conner Williams, didn't they? Seemed he still struggled mightily against bigger NT types. I agree with you, just give me a big ol mauler, a la Ron Leary.
Yeah the problem is sometimes you bulk a guy up but his functional strength doesn't get that much better.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah the problem is sometimes you bulk a guy up but his functional strength doesn't get that much better.
When you have to bulk up (or slim down) a guy, that is kind of a project.

In a premium round, you optimally want a player with no assembly required.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Would be an awesome 3rd rounder, kind of overlooked like Sam Williams despite testing well with impressive production. It's interesting how much we're looking at pure edge rushers throughout every level of the draft (McDonald in the 1st, guys like this in the 2nd/3rd, Durell Johnson and the SFA kid as late round/UDFA types).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would be an awesome 3rd rounder, kind of overlooked like Sam Williams despite testing well with impressive production. It's interesting how much we're looking at pure edge rushers throughout every level of the draft (McDonald in the 1st, guys like this in the 2nd/3rd, Durell Johnson and the SFA kid as late round/UDFA types).
It's funny the amount of "visits" you see reported with individual players. I'm not saying they are inaccurate I just wonder what they define as a visit. Like is this a video chat with someone in the organization? Is it a visit to the facility? Is it a private workout. Clearly a lot of these guys don't fall under the "30 visit" list so I'm just curious what it really means. It's funny because you assume every team has talked to a lot of these players with the number of times the Cowboys are listed in tweets like this.

But then you hear about Ceedee Lamb basically saying he was surprised the Cowboys took him because he had never spoken with the Cowboys.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's funny the amount of "visits" you see reported with individual players. I'm not saying they are inaccurate I just wonder what they define as a visit. Like is this a video chat with someone in the organization? Is it a visit to the facility? Is it a private workout. Clearly a lot of these guys don't fall under the "30 visit" list so I'm just curious what it really means. It's funny because you assume every team has talked to a lot of these players with the number of times the Cowboys are listed in tweets like this.

But then you hear about Ceedee Lamb basically saying he was surprised the Cowboys took him because he had never spoken with the Cowboys.
Oh I think these reports are completely off base where they're conflating the "30 visits" with pretty much any kind of visit. If you believed that every one of these "visits" was a 30 visit we'd have about 45 by now.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Exactly, I think some of these visits were just the short ones they do at the combine.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Young is different from Williams in terms of experience and positional maturity though. There is a pretty big learning curve for Young. He just doesn’t know what he is doing and doesn’t have a strong plan when rushing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Young is different from Williams in terms of experience and positional maturity though. There is a pretty big learning curve for Young. He just doesn’t know what he is doing and doesn’t have a strong plan when rushing.
Yeah I like Young. Stupid good athlete. Little bit older and kind of took a long path to get where he is. He is raw but he was also productive while being raw. There are some prospects like that in this draft. Another name no one talks about is YaYa Diaby. Yes I know, guy has a dumb name. But he is another of these guys who ran like a 4.51 forty. He was super productive but only for one year in college. His 9 sacks and 14 TFLs last year were pretty impressive. The problem is his first two years he didn't do much. But at 6'3" 260 pounds and almost 34 inch arms he fits our mold perfectly. He is probably going middle rounds somewhere. But a perfect guy who if he is still sitting around late day two or early day 3 could turn into a steal.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Top kicker in this draft. I can't pretend to have any idea on how to predict what a kicker will do in the NFL. I think he will go as high as the fourth or fifth round which is probably too rich for my blood. Not that an automatic kicker wouldn't be worth it in that range. I just have no idea how to judge how he will do in the NFL.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Top kicker in this draft. I can't pretend to have any idea on how to predict what a kicker will do in the NFL. I think he will go as high as the fourth or fifth round which is probably too rich for my blood. Not that an automatic kicker wouldn't be worth it in that range. I just have no idea how to judge how he will do in the NFL.
Garabay killed it in college and obviously has sucked in the pros, so you never know. Kickers are weird.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Garabay killed it in college and obviously has sucked in the pros, so you never know. Kickers are weird.
I feel like that kid the Bucs took in the second round is burned into my mind. He wasn't even just sort of good. He was downright awful. But he was king of the world in college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom