Prospects Dallas Has Shown Interest In - 2017

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kaaya sucks so bad he will likely go on Day 3. I want nothing to do with him.
Yeah I agree with not wanting him. But with no fifth. You're probably talking sixth or seventh round for us. I can't cry over that. It's just a flier at that point.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I don't get Reddick. He's not a true edge and how on earth would he fit in this scheme?

D

Deuce

I don't get Reddick. He's not a true edge and how on earth would he fit in this scheme?
I can easily see them try to fit him in as an OLB and then slide him down to DE in passing situations.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

3-down LB with excellent blitzing/pass-rush ability.

You remember how often we blitzed Barry Church and Jeff Heath off the edge against the Packers?

Imagine doing that with a LB who can hold up in coverage but who actually has legitimate pass-rush ability/technique.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
3-down LB with excellent blitzing/pass-rush ability.

You remember how often we blitzed Barry Church and Jeff Heath off the edge against the Packers?

Imagine doing that with a LB who can hold up in coverage but who actually has legitimate pass-rush ability/technique.
Any time Marinelli has a game plan like that it is out of desperation. I don't see him turning into some mad blitzer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any time Marinelli has a game plan like that it is out of desperation. I don't see him turning into some mad blitzer.
It also doesn't work against a team like the Packers that will never let you substitute. A guy like Riddick would be totally nutralized in a game like that because he won't get on the field.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
DE T.J. Watt, Wisconsin
DT Davlin Tomlinson, Alabama
DE Demarcus Walker, Florida State
TE O.J. Howard, Alabama
Howard has quickly become a pet cat of mine. I think he is going to excel at the NFL level.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Howard has quickly become a pet cat of mine. I think he is going to excel at the NFL level.
Yeah I really like him too. It's not a big need for us but I love the player. I don't see anyway he makes it to 28 anyway. It's sort of become in the NFL where WRs and TEs are lumped together. When you have a guy who is 6'5" and runs a 4.5 forty you can use him in a lot of the same ways. So any team that needs a recieving threat on offense will consider a guy like Howard even if their need is more for a WR.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This whole TE draft class has a chance to be an all timer, as in change offenses all-timer.

I know the idea of taking another TE is disgusting, we will get left behind keeping the Wittens of the world as a centerpiece.

Cotton

Staff member
This whole TE draft class has a chance to be an all timer, as in change offenses all-timer.

I know the idea of taking another TE is disgusting, we will get left behind keeping the Wittens of the world as a centerpiece.
I have warmed up to the idea. It wouldn't be my first choice in the 1st, but I wouldn't be overly pissed if we take someone like Howard at 28.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Maybe but Lee was consistently brought as a blitzer during the second half of the season and into the playoffs. I think it's fair to assume that Marinelli would use a guy with Reddick's blitzing/pass-rush talent in that manner.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Wouldn't mind Howard or Njoku at 28 at all, if I had confidence in our coaching staff to maximize Engram I'd even consider him at 28.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It also doesn't work against a team like the Packers that will never let you substitute. A guy like Riddick would be totally nutralized in a game like that because he won't get on the field.
You're making the assumption here that Lee and Smith are both 100% healthy and are on the field for 100% of the snaps.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're making the assumption here that Lee and Smith are both 100% healthy and are on the field for 100% of the snaps.
Sure, but now you're talking about getting a backup on the field. You can't really get in the position of predicting injuries.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wouldn't mind Howard or Njoku at 28 at all, if I had confidence in our coaching staff to maximize Engram I'd even consider him at 28.
It's sad because Engram could actually be a great fit. I'd just replace Williams with him. Line him up wide in the 3 WR sets and then motion him back to the TE position sometimes. Let teams decide how they want to defend that. Do they line a safety or LBer out wide on him? Do they use a corner on him and then try to stop our 2 TE running formation with a nickle defense when we motion him back inside? If you use a corner on him I'd run slants and inside stuff all day. A corner would struggle with his size on that stuff.

Njoku is the one I'm still just not sure on. Seems like more potential then ability at this point.

Barnett and Taco are still my top two guys at 28 though.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Sure, but now you're talking about getting a backup on the field. You can't really get in the position of predicting injuries.
I think Reddick could take snaps away from both Lee and Smith, especially considering their injury histories.

For me he could potentially be the BPA at 28, if that's the case I take him and let the snaps work themselves out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Reddick could take snaps away from both Lee and Smith, especially considering their injury histories.

For me he could potentially be the BPA at 28, if that's the case I take him and let the snaps work themselves out.
For me it just comes down to when you consider BPA do you also consider fit? If your defense runs almost strictly cover 2, you wouldn't necessarily call a man coverage corner BPA because of fit. A 3-4 NT might be BPA for a 3-4 team but if you run our defense he just isn't going to be that high. That's sort of how I look at Reddick. I could see him as a BPA for a team at 28, but given our style of defense I just don't see it. But if you take Barnett, Harris and Taco Charleton off the board before 28 maybe my opinion changes. Just depends on who is left.

And I mention him as a backup this year but to me that is minimal consideration. You draft players for their career, not just one season.

Cotton

Staff member
It's sad because Engram could actually be a great fit. I'd just replace Williams with him. Line him up wide in the 3 WR sets and then motion him back to the TE position sometimes. Let teams decide how they want to defend that. Do they line a safety or LBer out wide on him? Do they use a corner on him and then try to stop our 2 TE running formation with a nickle defense when we motion him back inside? If you use a corner on him I'd run slants and inside stuff all day. A corner would struggle with his size on that stuff.

Njoku is the one I'm still just not sure on. Seems like more potential then ability at this point.

Barnett and Taco are still my top two guys at 28 though.
I say I have warmed up to TE at 28, but do not want Njoku.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I say I have warmed up to TE at 28, but do not want Njoku.
His hands are meh, he is a raw route runner and frankly he just makes me nervous. He is more potential then reality at this point. I get sort of an Eric Ebron vibe from him. And even though Ebron has posted good numbers overall he just drops way too much and it seems like the Lions really have to force the ball to him.

Top Bottom