New OC - Philbin or find a youngun?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, that's right about Fassel. Another reason why nobody thought much of Payton.

Agree with you on Campbell, too. He'll be good head coach some day.
I think Campbell will make a good head coach but I don't know about offensive coordinator. I'd feel better about McCarthy calling the offense.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Nobody here thought anything of Payton at the time. Nobody.

And anybody who was here back then and claim differently are full of shit. I remember quite clearly nobody thought much of him while he was here and nobody thought he was going to be what he turned out to be.
Well, that's completely untrue. You apparently don't remember all that clearly.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I guess if Geng is saying he was on the Payton train I have no evidence to contradict him but by and large the sentiment around Payton when he left was "no big deal," and many wanted him gone before that anyway. I'd say the majority opinion on Payton when he was in Dallas was disfavorable.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I wasn't here then, but my memory wasn't negative at all, though it wasn't that he was some genius, either.

The biggest thing I remember thinking is that Parcells was such a control freak and micromanager, it was hard to tell how much Payton got to do what he wanted anyway. When he left for NO I remember the thought that now he'll get to run his real offense and not just do what Parcells tells him to do.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Well, that's completely untrue. You apparently don't remember all that clearly.
This is the truth. People here thought he was an underwhelming hire after his Giants stint, people here thought he was a JAG when he was a coach here, even when elevated to playcalling and people were surprised he was even a head coach candidate after his underwhelming assistant coaching history and nobody gave a shit he was leaving. All true.

Too bad we lost the DCC historical posts since then.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
I guess if Geng is saying he was on the Payton train I have no evidence to contradict him but by and large the sentiment around Payton when he left was "no big deal," and many wanted him gone before that anyway. I'd say the majority opinion on Payton when he was in Dallas was disfavorable.
Ok, I can go with that. A very large majority didn't give a shit about him when he was hired, while he was here and when he left.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
This is the truth. People here thought he was an underwhelming hire after his Giants stint, people here thought he was a JAG when he was a coach here, even when elevated to playcalling and people were surprised he was even a head coach candidate after his underwhelming assistant coaching history and nobody gave a shit he was leaving. All true.

Means little, considering EVERY player and coach has been shit on here at one time or another.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd like someone from the staff of Green Bay, Tennessee, Cleveland, San Francisco or New Orleans ideally, preferably someone who isn't a former QB. I want someone who comes from a team with a balanced offensive philosophy and not a pass-happy minded play-caller who calls some ridiculous isolation route with Lamb on 4th and less than 1 from inside our own 40.

Or someone who would call that ridiculous pass play yesterday on 3rd and 10 with 2:45 left and the Eagles down 13 with no timeouts. Why would you even risk that?

Run the ball, take it down to the 2 minute warning and punt. The reward is nowhere near the risk there with our patchwork OL and the score/clock situation.

I like Moore well enough and would be fine bringing him back, but he does some shit that is completely confounding. No clue if that's him, McCarthy or both, but it is what it is.

I'd be more than happy with Dan Campbell if that came to fruition.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Folks initially had a negative view of Moore from the git go simply because he wasn't a strong candidate as a QB. His knowledge of the game wasn't respected and a lot wanted to send him down the road. I distinctly remember all the response from a great deal of the members here.

The fact that the Team struggled back to being a playoff contender has to be a factor in his ability to ma she an offense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah I mean I remember liking Sean Payton too but I think the point is valid that even great coaches tend to get picked apart to the point that fans think they suck. People hated Zimmer while he was here. I don't even think people really dislike Kellen Moore except for his connection with the Garrett coaching staff. I do remember a lot of people bitching about Sean Payton and claiming it wasn't a loss. But I guess that's normal for fans to do. Matt Eberflus is probably the coach we all should have mourned more when he left. Goddamn he would be a great defensive coordinator here.

I want to keep Kellen Moore but it's kind of out of our control. The guy either wants to leave and Boise wants him or he doesn't. All Jerry can do is offer him a new contract.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Matt Eberflus is probably the coach we all should have mourned more when he left. Goddamn he would be a great defensive coordinator here.
Can't believe Im saying this, but Eberflus is considered to be on the Jason Garrett coaching tree. :picard

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He better not be the head coach-in-waiting if he stays. No Garrett Part II, please.
I mean head coach in waiting really only works when your head coach is near retirement. Otherwise odds are if your head coach fails, rarely is an assistant the guy you want to take over as they were part of the sinking ship.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I mean head coach in waiting really only works when your head coach is near retirement. Otherwise odds are if your head coach fails, rarely is an assistant the guy you want to take over as they were part of the sinking ship.
Wade wasn't near retirement when Jerry gave Red a fake title, and the brass is clearly enamored with Moore for reasons that escape me.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wade was hired with the idea that he only be a stopgap.
And, he made a phenomenal stopgap. I mean just look at how he stopped us from winning?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wade was always sort of a goof. I think the guy is a really good defensive coordinator but nothing beyond that. You don't really want him leading the team. But in terms of calling defensive plays I think he has proven he can do that at a pretty high level.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
McCarthy's no spring chicken. Considering all the young hotshot coordinators out there, 57 is actually "old" in this day and age. And does anybody think he understands a damn thing about analytics?

Top Bottom