New OC - Philbin or find a youngun?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Maybe @pd can put up a poll.

We were all excited to watch Dak run this high-octane offense. One always thinks his team is stacked, we're homers whether we like it or not. We're always going to think the roster is better than it ends up being. But not this year. Kellen seemed to have been given free reign (shout out to Marc Colombo slapping down DeAngelo's punk ass) to drive this puppy how ever the hell he wanted.

Shouldn't hang on to what-ifs for long, but this offense had been built. I will give Jerry and Stephen that much credit. They built a beast, and even though a more than usual amount of luck might have been involved, it should have been a show.

Tyron-->Williams/McGovern-->Frederick:cry:-->Martin-->La'El

Jarwin & Shultzy

20/21 show

Dak

13 19 88

Guys, that's a horse...no homer rose-colored bias. If only...but the luck ran out.

The Frederick retirement was the early domino and they started falling quick.

Whatever shakes out at QB, I think/hope Jerry and Stephen have learned the value of the OL.

If this is McCarthy's team and he can go in what ever direction he desires, is Joe Philbin our next OC?

Or does he try to find another young OC who can adapt and get the most out of the younger players?

I'd rather go young on offense, and then find an old hard ass as DC. That crew needs a grab em by the balls chief in the worst way.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think I would be okay with Philbin.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If this is McCarthy's team and he can go in what ever direction he desires, is Joe Philbin our next OC?

Or does he try to find another young OC who can adapt and get the most out of the younger players?

I'd rather go young on offense, and then find an old hard ass as DC. That crew needs a grab em by the balls chief in the worst way.
I'm with you. Find a younger coach. Preferably one who already has a few years experience as a position coach or offensive assistant.

I'm not a fan of just anointing guys with little to no experience into OC/DC positions. It's not an accident that the Cowboys offense has been routinely outclassed in big games by experienced defensive coordinators. It's the price you pay when your OC is OJTing.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Philbin's done pretty well with this patchwork OL though. I'd rather he stayed there.

I think anyone who isn't a disaster would do fine with the talent here. I wouldn't mind some young guy who MM thinks has potential while MM is the "real" OC.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

If Kliff shakes loose from Arizona, I would love to have him here as OC. I can only imagine what he could do with these weapons as creative as he is.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'm with you. Find a younger coach. Preferably one who already has a few years experience as a position coach or offensive assistant.

I'm not a fan of just anointing guys with little to no experience into OC/DC positions. It's not an accident that the Cowboys offense has been routinely outclassed in big games by experienced defensive coordinators. It's the price you pay when your OC is OJTing.
This offense is structured to rival the Chiefs. We need that kind of creativity.

I felt Moore had a better chance of doing that than Garrett did, but that's obviously a terrible barometer.

With the tools available on the offense, we need an OC who can keep it running efficiently.

Not sure old man Philbin is that guy. I just wonder who McCarthy could have in mind.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
People are calling for Kingbury's head? Why?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Im not ok with Philbin. Im not ok with McCarthy. Im not ok with McCarthy choosing. Im not ok with the Jones choosing. Im not ok with Kellen staying.

Im fubared.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Dan Campbell has been an assistant HC under Payton for a few years now.

Wouldn't OC be a promotion?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dan Campbell has been an assistant HC under Payton for a few years now.

Wouldn't OC be a promotion?
I don't believe it would. That is why sometimes they use the Asst. HC tag.

Besides, he might be under consideration for HC jobs, why would he want to be an OC here.

McCarthy being an offensive-minded coach makes it a fairly unattractive job to anyone with ambition.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Besides, he might be under consideration for HC jobs, why would he want to be an OC here.

McCarthy being an offensive-minded coach makes it a fairly unattractive job to anyone with ambition.
The talent on offense should make it attractive for anyone who wants to show how creative they are.

Has his name been brought up in HC hires the way it was a few years ago? I honestly don't recall.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

If he is under contract any assistant position is considered lateral now and you can't do it. Not without the Saints permission.

With that being said running an elite offense could help him get a HC job so I could see why it would be attractive. Right now the Saints offense is Sean Payton. It will always be Sean Payton. No one is looking at their offense and thinking it's Campbell's doing.

Top Bottom